Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another Evo tuned by Precision Dyno (Dynos inside)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Another Evo tuned by Precision Dyno (Dynos inside)

Hi everyone,

I drove to Philly last Saturday to bring my Evo to Precision Dyno Performance to get a custom tuning, install a set of 264/272 cams, fuel pump and lower IC pipe.
Right after I met Nick, the guy behind PD and a truly sympathetic person, he honored me by handing me the keys of the first tweaked Evo-9 in the nation, a MR edition pushing 300 awhp, and I’m talking conservative “Mustang” hp, not optimistic dynojet hp. Then I went for a short ride. A few ticks later my perception of “fast” took a new meaning…the car was insanely fast! My Evo-8 would have been destroyed by this beast in a blink of an eye: absent turbo lag, serious torque in the mid band and lots of power in the upper range, right where my car used to fade to mediocrity. So when I was back I asked Nick if he was going to make my car as fast as that one; he just smiled.
So they put my Evo on the dyno to perform a baseline: 209 whp / 218 lbs. torque. (cat-back, DP and test pipe)… those numbers seemed to me pretty low at that time, and we blamed it on the low Mustang dynos readings.
After the cams and the IC pipe installation, the car went back to the dyno (no tuning yet) and we got 240 hp / 250 lbs…wow! 31 whp improvement with just those two parts! Nice.
Now it was time for Nick to hook up his laptop to the ECU and start making magic. Next pull: 254 hp / 273 lbs. Things are getting better I thought, however he looked at the dyno sheet and noticed that the curve was sinking rapidly at about 5k. Weird. I tell Nick to remove the exhaust silencer (the one that goes at the tip and looks like a bottle neck with a 1” opening) and perform another pull on the dyno and find out if it really was taking any power, so we conducted another test (no adjustments) and the results were unbelievable: 293 whp and 280 lbs. of torque!! That silencer was robbing 39 whp! That probably could explain why I got low readings on the baseline and why the car felt so sluggish at high rpms.
Anyways, at the end he was finally able to squeeze 300 whp and 290 lbs. torque, SAE corrected (305/296 before corrections), with just 23 peak psi (down at 21 redline) and regular 93 octane gas. I really think that the numbers are outstanding considering the conservative boost and the simple bolt-ons I have in the car. I really want to take the car to a dynojet to see how much it reads.
Customer service? Second to none. Nick and his staff were extremely nice, knowledgeable and helpful. They spent almost 7 hours on my car plus 13 pulls in the dyno, and they didn’t leave the shop until my car was completely finished and with a perfect, beautiful fat power/torque curve. My car now is as fast as that Evo-9 I tested that same day. I can’t wait to take it to the track!

First graphic shows the power loss due to the silencer. 39 whp and 7 lbs. of torque (notice how much torque is lost after 4k…almost 40 lbs. at 6k)
Second graphic shows baseline and final dyno.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Another Evo tuned by Precision Dyno (Dynos inside)-silencer-vs-non2.jpg   Another Evo tuned by Precision Dyno (Dynos inside)-baseline-vs-final2.jpg  
Old Nov 1, 2005, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
That sounds about right for what you've got.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now we're talking. This is much more useful than yesterday's thread. I'm also interested to see how it performs at the track. My only 2 comments are...

1) Did you not already know that the silencer would do that? You actually drove around with that thing in place? There's no reason to even have an exhaust if you keep that in the tailpipe.

2) 23psi is not conservative on pump gas. In fact, I can't run more than 21 without knocking all through 3rd and 4th gear, so I'd say it's quite the opposite - your boost is as aggressive as it gets on pump gas.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool.

To back up the silencer power loss, I dynoed before and after at Pruven in CT and gained ~50 WHP (dynojet) by removing the silencer in my Helix CB. It's funny because I see posts from people saying that they have the silencer and it feels just as fast or maybe 5 HP lost...

I ended up selling my Helix and I'm running the stock axle-back until I either get a quieter cat-back or find a reliable exhaust cutout that works well.

Take care,

FB
Old Nov 1, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Sergio, cant wait for PD to be in Arizona in 2 weeks!

Originally Posted by EVOfunk
Hi everyone,

I drove to Philly last Saturday to bring my Evo to Precision Dyno Performance to get a custom tuning, install a set of 264/272 cams, fuel pump and lower IC pipe.
Right after I met Nick, the guy behind PD and a truly sympathetic person, he honored me by handing me the keys of the first tweaked Evo-9 in the nation, a MR edition pushing 300 awhp, and I’m talking conservative “Mustang” hp, not optimistic dynojet hp. Then I went for a short ride. A few ticks later my perception of “fast” took a new meaning…the car was insanely fast! My Evo-8 would have been destroyed by this beast in a blink of an eye: absent turbo lag, serious torque in the mid band and lots of power in the upper range, right where my car used to fade to mediocrity. So when I was back I asked Nick if he was going to make my car as fast as that one; he just smiled.
So they put my Evo on the dyno to perform a baseline: 209 whp / 218 lbs. torque. (cat-back, DP and test pipe)… those numbers seemed to me pretty low at that time, and we blamed it on the low Mustang dynos readings.
After the cams and the IC pipe installation, the car went back to the dyno (no tuning yet) and we got 240 hp / 250 lbs…wow! 31 whp improvement with just those two parts! Nice.
Now it was time for Nick to hook up his laptop to the ECU and start making magic. Next pull: 254 hp / 273 lbs. Things are getting better I thought, however he looked at the dyno sheet and noticed that the curve was sinking rapidly at about 5k. Weird. I tell Nick to remove the exhaust silencer (the one that goes at the tip and looks like a bottle neck with a 1” opening) and perform another pull on the dyno and find out if it really was taking any power, so we conducted another test (no adjustments) and the results were unbelievable: 293 whp and 280 lbs. of torque!! That silencer was robbing 39 whp! That probably could explain why I got low readings on the baseline and why the car felt so sluggish at high rpms.
Anyways, at the end he was finally able to squeeze 300 whp and 290 lbs. torque, SAE corrected (305/296 before corrections), with just 23 peak psi (down at 21 redline) and regular 93 octane gas. I really think that the numbers are outstanding considering the conservative boost and the simple bolt-ons I have in the car. I really want to take the car to a dynojet to see how much it reads.
Customer service? Second to none. Nick and his staff were extremely nice, knowledgeable and helpful. They spent almost 7 hours on my car plus 13 pulls in the dyno, and they didn’t leave the shop until my car was completely finished and with a perfect, beautiful fat power/torque curve. My car now is as fast as that Evo-9 I tested that same day. I can’t wait to take it to the track!

First graphic shows the power loss due to the silencer. 39 whp and 7 lbs. of torque (notice how much torque is lost after 4k…almost 40 lbs. at 6k)
Second graphic shows baseline and final dyno.

Cheers
Old Nov 1, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like 05s and 06's arent far from each other at all. Now, the question that still remains to be answered is, how will the IX respond to cams! We will have to wait and see till they try to do something w/ cams
Old Nov 1, 2005, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Looks like 05s and 06's arent far from each other at all. Now, the question that still remains to be answered is, how will the IX respond to cams! We will have to wait and see till they try to do something w/ cams
huh? The evo8 has cams, fuel pump, tbe exhaust, mbc, lic, and made about the same hp (300) as the evo IX which only had a tbe, and ecutek reflash.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Doogie Howser
huh? The evo8 has cams, fuel pump, tbe exhaust, mbc, lic, and made about the same hp (300) as the evo IX which only had a tbe, and ecutek reflash.
And MBC, of course, but the cams are the major difference. The only problem is that they have been messing with the cams/timing/MIVEC via the EcuTek, so some of the gains may be similar to what we see from using cams on 03-05s. I'm not sure they will get another 30+ whp gain when they add a cam (or cams, if possible). It will be interesting to see...
Old Nov 1, 2005, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
And MBC, of course, but the cams are the major difference. The only problem is that they have been messing with the cams/timing/MIVEC via the EcuTek, so some of the gains may be similar to what we see from using cams on 03-05s. I'm not sure they will get another 30+ whp gain when they add a cam (or cams, if possible). It will be interesting to see...
+1, i would also be curious to see what kind of gain they can achieve w/ the IX with cams. Might turn out at the end that both will make the same amount of power, IF no more power can be achieved with cams on the IX
Old Nov 1, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Now we're talking. This is much more useful than yesterday's thread. I'm also interested to see how it performs at the track. My only 2 comments are...

1) Did you not already know that the silencer would do that? You actually drove around with that thing in place? There's no reason to even have an exhaust if you keep that in the tailpipe.

2) 23psi is not conservative on pump gas. In fact, I can't run more than 21 without knocking all through 3rd and 4th gear, so I'd say it's quite the opposite - your boost is as aggressive as it gets on pump gas.
Sorry about the confusion yesterday on the thread I started.

Silencer wise, I thought that the LP exhaust was not going to be THAT loud, and that is the reason why I installed the silencer that came with it. I also thought that the power loss could be aprox. 10-15 hp instead of 40. It is a big issue now because that thing is LOUD, and I don't want to drive a loud car. I will get a quieter exhaust, period.

Correction about boost: it is 22, not 23. I'm sure that Nick will PM me about it...
Old Nov 1, 2005, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Doogie Howser
true
Old Nov 1, 2005, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
Hey Sergio, cant wait for PD to be in Arizona in 2 weeks!
Hey Abner! you'll be amazed with the difference
Old Nov 1, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOfunk
Sorry about the confusion yesterday on the thread I started.

Silencer wise, I thought that the LP exhaust was not going to be THAT loud, and that is the reason why I installed the silencer that came with it. I also thought that the power loss could be aprox. 10-15 hp instead of 40. It is a big issue now because that thing is LOUD, and I don't want to drive a loud car. I will get a quieter exhaust, period.
Yes, I know what you mean. I have the same cat-back portion of my exhaust. I know you bought it from LPI, but it's just a generic design that many people rebadge. I bought it from the shop that now sponsors me, and although it looks nice and makes power, it is too loud for my liking. I got a ticket within the first week of installing it, and that was with the stock cat/dp still on there. It was really just bad timing, because I've been running catless with a Megan DP/TP in addition to the LPI catback with no issues from cops...that one day I just happened to pass within earshot of a trooper while going WOT from a toll booth on the highway. Oh wel...

I have the same silencer, obviously, but I've never considered putting it in, haha. That thing is like a plug...it's worse than the stock exhaust even.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same silencer, obviously, but I've never considered putting it in, haha. That thing is like a plug...it's worse than the stock exhaust even.
Yep, that's why I'm running the stock exhaust for now. The silencer cost me about 50 WHP, more than the gain of the catback. If I had to guess, with the stock exhaust I'm currently running, I may give up 25-35 WHP or so, but still not as bad as 50 WHP. It's very quiet too, heh. We started my car on the lift at my friend's shop after re-installing the stock cat-back, and I didn't even think the car was running, lol.

Take care,

FB
Old Nov 1, 2005, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I know what you mean. I have the same cat-back portion of my exhaust. I know you bought it from LPI, but it's just a generic design that many people rebadge. I bought it from the shop that now sponsors me, and although it looks nice and makes power, it is too loud for my liking. I got a ticket within the first week of installing it, and that was with the stock cat/dp still on there. It was really just bad timing, because I've been running catless with a Megan DP/TP in addition to the LPI catback with no issues from cops...that one day I just happened to pass within earshot of a trooper while going WOT from a toll booth on the highway. Oh wel...

...are cops that bad in the DC area? I better watch out then.
I might put back the original cat-back, but I wonder how much power will it take. Is that my best option? Most of the aftermarket cat-backs are too loud to my standards. Any thoughts?
I never learn from my "exhaust" mistakes: I went through the same tesiture with my late Mini Cooper S and the Borla Race exhaust, a very nice and high quality piece (expensive too) but loud as hell, specially at 3k-4k cruisin speed. It almost made me hate that car, even though it was a blast to drive.

Quick Reply: Another Evo tuned by Precision Dyno (Dynos inside)