Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Idle Drops Car Stalls

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle Drops Car Stalls

Hi, I have a problem with my car. Basically when I come to a stop the idle goes down and eventualy stalls the car.

It's also stalls it right away when I turn up the AC.

Can anybody tell me what is going on?

I have a Greddy Type S BOV Recirculated, checked the receric lines and tighten all the clamps.

The BOV is connected to the BR Upper Intercooler pipe, I also tighten up all the silicone hoses connected to the IC pipes.

I already changed my plugs to NGK BPR7ES gapped at .23 Boosting 28psi with Metahnol Injeciton.

My intake is the HKS RS that has been tuned in conjunction with my Stage 4 mods and Alcohol Injection.

This idle problem only started happening when I installed my Defi BF Boost Gauge with Boost sensor and Defi Control unit.

I already checked all the boost lines and it seems there are no leaks to be found.

Can somebody help a fellow evo owner.

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Anybody?
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

When you brake do you notice anything happening on the boost gauge?
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:31 AM

My Car Trys To Stall At A Stop Some Times Too,, Mainly With The A/c On....hks Makes A Voltage Stabalizer That I'm Pretty Sure Takes Care Of The Prob
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor

put the stock bov back on and the prob will go away..
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ArchieBabes
This idle problem only started happening when I installed my Defi BF Boost Gauge with Boost sensor and Defi Control unit.

I already checked all the boost lines and it seems there are no leaks to be found.

Thanks
You basically narrowed it down yourself. Double check your lines and ensure you did the install with no mistakes. If all else fails, uninstall your Defi unit and see if you're still having idle issues. If not, then reattempt your install paying close attention to detail as to not make a mistake.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
put the stock bov back on and the prob will go away..
No problems before with the Greddy BOV I've been using it for almost 10k miles now without any idle issues.

I don't think its the BOV, plus I already checked all the connection to the BOV for leaks.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVILutionVIII
You basically narrowed it down yourself. Double check your lines and ensure you did the install with no mistakes. If all else fails, uninstall your Defi unit and see if you're still having idle issues. If not, then reattempt your install paying close attention to detail as to not make a mistake.
What I did was took out the Defi Boost Connection and installed my old mechanical Apexi Boost gauge, the problem with the idle is still there.

Is there like a fuse that has been blown to control the idle? When I was installing the control unit I somehow shorted the 10amp fuse for the accessory lights.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

When I was in a hurry to put back in my blitz BLM, i forgot to ground it correctly (i just put it together using electro tape. I had this issue and i thought it was my intake or something causing it. Forward 3 days after and I decided to ground the gauge correctly this time and my idle issue went away. My gauge was lighting up but it was flickering all the time. Now that its grounded correctly its on constantly. Also I read about how when you tap into a power wire (if thats what you are doing) and there are 2 leechers off that single wire, you might want to have them about an inch apart. Thats what I've read but I don't have enough goodies inside my car to see if it's true.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for more suggestions

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2005, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just try another bov, just to see if it works. My friend had idle issues and would not believe that the stock bov was leaking and giving him problems all that time. So he ended up paying for a Forge bov to fix the leaking stocker during his tuning. Maybe your type-s has a leak... Just another point to check.

If that doesn't work.. check the connections where u tapped the boost sensor. T-fitting not be snug or what not.

Last edited by rsboy; Nov 1, 2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rsboy
Just try another bov, just to see if it works. My friend had idle issues and would not believe that the stock bov was leaking and giving him problems all that time. So he ended up paying for a Forge bov to fix the leaking stocker during his tuning. Maybe your type-s has a leak... Just another point to check.

If that doesn't work.. check the connections where u tapped the boost sensor. T-fitting not be snug or what not.
How do you know if its leaking or not? Can you just replace the gasket with a new one?
Old Nov 1, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't know how they figured it out other than replacing it.. at least for the stocker. Not sure how the greddy is setup, but if u know someone with a stock or aftermarket bov...swap it out and try. At least you can rule it out for sure, if that is not the problem.

With my friend's problem.. everything else was set up ok. Made boost ok and IC hoses were fine... just the idling problem was the only thing wrong. When they dyno tuned his car, they finally figured out it was the bov. Replaced it... no more problems.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

when the car is dying and the idle is going down r u losing vacuum the whole time? it kinda sounds like a vacuum leak of sorts.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

The car dies when the voltage drops at 11V, but when it's at 14V idle is fine.

Quick Reply: Idle Drops Car Stalls