Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I've got CRANKWALK!!??? where's the Tums?!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy crap dude, u have some pretty crappy luck. hopefully things will work for the better.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Is this the first incident of crank walk on an evo?
Old Nov 1, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by QAT-R
Not sure, I think so. I don't think it's the same as the 6 bolts tho...
Old Nov 1, 2005, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sleet
Not sure, I think so. I don't think it's the same as the 6 bolts tho...
6 bolts didnt get crank walk 7 bolts did
Old Nov 2, 2005, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

Any motor can get excessive thrust play aka "crankwalk", I wouldn't worry about one isolated incident.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by NDgsx
Any motor can get excessive thrust play aka "crankwalk", I wouldn't worry about one isolated incident.
Ok, I wont worry! It is just a speculation at this point, will find out the definitive answer today.[img]images/icons/icon12.gif[/img] I let my friend (Hooligan) drive it and he said there is something seriously wrong with the car, as he also felt the vibrations thru the seat bolts! I am just hoping the balance shaft is out of sync. besides the times getting the alky kit wired correctly, I have had no other problem per se, its just this ONE problem that has been misdiagnosed for a while, causing many little issues, and many other parts to break apart.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 02:22 AM
Evolved Member

hey look, I am now having problems putting smiley faces in my messages,[img]images/icons/icon9.gif[/img][img]images/icons/icon11.gif[/img] What is that a symptom of? I just cant win![img]images/icons/icon10.gif[/img]
Old Nov 2, 2005, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by QAT-R
I was also diagnosed with a case of crankwalk...
But when ever I push the clutch in the car made a funny noise and would immediately stall out.

The guys at ISPracing inspected, and showed me where the crank sensor was all chewed up.

Maybe we should start a thread "Evos With Crankwalk" and let everyone list their symptoms. So if in fact you have crankwalk...it'll be three (3) Evo's that Ive read about having it...aint that some sheeeeiit.

Well good luck
Old Nov 2, 2005, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Kevin,

Wow you have had nothing but problems with your car. I highly doubt you have crankwalk, but maybe i am wrong. I have read about 2 other cases on here. How many miles are on your car? I also think your mechanics are clueless and have no idea what they are doing from reading your posts. It seems you have alot of issues coupled into one big one. Find yourself a competent 4G63 mechanic and only let him work on your car and not a v8 shop .

I wish you good luck.

Luis
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by talentsearch301
I was also diagnosed with a case of crankwalk...
But when ever I push the clutch in the car made a funny noise and would immediately stall out.

The guys at ISPracing inspected, and showed me where the crank sensor was all chewed up.

Maybe we should start a thread "Evos With Crankwalk" and let everyone list their symptoms. So if in fact you have crankwalk...it'll be three (3) Evo's that Ive read about having it...aint that some sheeeeiit.

Well good luck
Do you have pics of this? Please tell me you took some pics of this incident.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

I would have thought the crankwalk issue would be non existent now, but dont feel too too bad...My car is sitting at the dealership right now, and im stuck driving an 04 Ralliart Lancer, my car had oil everywhere under the car covering the undertray, the block, pan, etc. Thinking is was the rear main seal gave out (could explain why my clutch was getting really loud that night all of a sudden), but i havent heard back from the dealership yet, so who knows.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by smokedmustang
it was however doing it before these new 280's. it was with the 272's. I noticed it shortly after the triple carbon clutch install!
Find out every part and system involved with this install. If your problems arose immediately after the procedure (triple carbon clutch install), then there probably is some direct or indirect factor that caused this.

Also, how long did your car drive without the vibes with the 272's?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Ok, I wont worry! It is just a speculation at this point, will find out the definitive answer today.[img]images/icons/icon12.gif[/img] I let my friend (Hooligan) drive it and he said there is something seriously wrong with the car, as he also felt the vibrations thru the seat bolts! I am just hoping the balance shaft is out of sync. besides the times getting the alky kit wired correctly, I have had no other problem per se, its just this ONE problem that has been misdiagnosed for a while, causing many little issues, and many other parts to break apart.
I would seriously start thinking about having your car shipped up to AMS.

- Have them take a look at it and let them diagnose it for you.
- Be prepared to have the car out of commission for a while
- Start saving cash
- Have them fix/rebuild your engine
- Throw a turbo kit on there while they're at it.

l8r)

P.S.: the 'free' labor from the dealership is all well and good ... but IMO you get what you pay for.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

My car has 45K miles on it, the oil you are having 93 cic, is what I had also, I was told rear main seal also, but come to find out, it was the oil-pan cracked bolt-to-bolt! vibrations again.

I just got the word. IT IS NOT crankwalk. What this guy saw, when I pushed in the clutch, the space between the pulley and Dampner seperated, and it was an optical illusion, the pulley appeared to pull away, but it was actually a piece of the serpintine belt stuck in between the pulley and the dampner. (I am NOT a mechanic, but I hope you know what I mean.) I dont know which belt it was, 1-4 that got stuck in there, but could that be my problem? not sure. will have it back on the road on Friday.
He did check the harmonic balancer, and the belt on the rod. NO problems.
This last belt broke due to the 2nd Alternator bracket broke into pieces!(3 weeks old) I guess I will send it up to AMS over the Winter! Will post more on Friday, when I drive it home.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not think that I would drive it anywhere..... Did he re-index the balance shafts? I would just shut it down and let someone go over it thouroughly. Look, it has happened four times already and they have not found the root cause. Do not delude yourself into thinking that it will just go away.

My .02c

Quick Reply: I've got CRANKWALK!!??? where's the Tums?!