Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I've got CRANKWALK!!??? where's the Tums?!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2005, 08:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also keep in mine the screwdriver will go through two ways... smokedmustang, I'm not trying to be an *** by any means. I think I told you that "I" did this once, and it was very humbling. To truly check both shafts, it takes more "tear down" than your average mechanic is willing to do just as a "courtesy inspection". To be honest, I'd not be overly surprised if it was not the issue... but as the saying goes, "...sometimes the most obvious answer...".
Old Nov 5, 2005, 08:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

BTW... my "crew" comment was aimed at the whole Evom crowd and solely cam gears... guess the many successes over ride the few failures.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kevin that sucks... bout as bad as hitting ur hand with a sledge hammer with all ur might ( and i know.. i did it last nite )... ur only deadline now is mothers day!! best of luck with it... that stroker would put the Mach1 in a world of hurt....
Old Nov 5, 2005, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Here is another concept I dont get: If the marks are lined up, (which they are), you can still be off 180 degrees? Wouldnt that mean the "Marks" would be at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock? I will take your word on this, and have relayed it to the "new" mechanic, and he is in agreeance. We are on it!
Attached to the back of the oil pump there is one of your balance shafts it turns 3 times the speed of the oil pump. There are three positions the balance shaft can be in when the mark on the oil pump is lined up. Only one of them is correct. If you can spin the oil pump by hand you can feel the weight of the balance shaft when the weight falls to the bottom. The weight on the balance shaft should be down and oil pump mark lined up at the same time.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Just got home after a DAY of tear-down, and the results are in.......ZEUS, Andrew, and the rest of you who said the OIL PUMP BALANCE SHAFT are the winners!!! You will be given the key to the city, and get a free dinner any time you are in INDY. If you need a place to stay during the races, 500,400, or F1 you can count on me!! call me up or pm me. Thank-you!

The marks DID all line up, and the mechanic was SUPER apologetic, and said he changed the timing belts and it must of happened then! The car is like I just bought a new one, ABSOLUTELY no vibrations, side-pipe open or closed, pulls like crazy, and the POP-POP under high RPM is gone as well! I love driving the car again, and I would still be b1tching if you guys didn't help me out of this one!

If you ever change or get your timing belt changed, make sure to set the oil pump balance shaft correctly, and dont be so sure that if the marks line up, all is OK! I will get my bearings checked, etc.

ALL my disapointments and costs put into the car over the last 15K or so miles, were due to this harmonic cracking apart of the car. Things I broke since the vibrations started:

4 serpintine belts
2 Alternator brackets
2 AC brackets
1 AC aluminum hose where it attaches to the AC compresson
1 altenator
1 oil pan
1 Clutches (not sure if the vibrations ruined my triple plate or not?)
Lots of labor to fix

YOU can save yourself the headaches and costs I went thru, just be sure the shaft is not only lined up on the marks, but in the right position!

Again, Thanks
Kevin
Old Nov 5, 2005, 08:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'm just glad it's fixed and you can enjoy the car again!
Old Nov 5, 2005, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Kev,

This is good news man . Now you can enjoy the car.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

awesome! (well, as awesome as it could be). Glad you got it fixed. Enjoy the EVO, once again!
Old Nov 5, 2005, 09:37 PM
Former Sponsor

I just read the whole post, I am glad it is NOT crankwalk. Happy modding again!
Old Nov 5, 2005, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

glad to hear doc!
Old Nov 6, 2005, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks again guys, now I can go out and finally street tune the Meth injection! Started toying with it last night, and so far all I can say is WOW! will post more fun stuff now, as the car is now fun to drive again!
Old Nov 6, 2005, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

wow man sounds like youve been thru hell.. glad to see your back and running well again.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vishnu_Evo8
wow man sounds like youve been thru hell.. glad to see your back and running well again.
Thanks bro!
Old Nov 6, 2005, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that both doctors are on the streets of Indy again we can start preparing for the Winged Warrior 2 Show.

Congrats on getting the car fixed!! I am super happy for you.

I think this deserves some BW's.

DrBump
Old Nov 6, 2005, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrBump471
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that both doctors are on the streets of Indy again we can start preparing for the Winged Warrior 2 Show.

Congrats on getting the car fixed!! I am super happy for you.

I think this deserves some BW's.

DrBump
I agree bumper, Indy is not safe anymore, I got the North side, you cover your side! You buy, or I can pay with broken AC bracket pieces!

Quick Reply: I've got CRANKWALK!!??? where's the Tums?!