Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question about APS Bov!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Question about APS Bov!!!

Hey wats up guys, I just installed my APS Bov today and I was tuning it but I couldn't get a loud flutter out of it. It is really faint. Is it because my evo is bone stock? I expected it to be loud. Also, does it go VTA when your above stock psi?? Any help would be greatful, thanx.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do you have a boost gauge? Perhaps you're not building enough pressure to really get as much volume as you might be looking for. That's my first guess.

I have one but have no idea what you mean by "tuning" it - I just installed it and voila. It was certainly apparent to me because it was so much louder than stock - mine was leaking and was why I replaced it.

And I don't like the word "flutter" in your description either. I'm gauging this by flooring, getting max boost, then letting off the accelerator completely - that's the PSSSSSHHHHHHHT! sound ... not a flutter.

I don't know the way it determines VTA vs. Recirc. It's mechanical in nature and unless there something inherent in it's structure I would guess it is the same ratio atmosphere vs. intake at all times.

Good luck...
Old Nov 2, 2005, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Well, my evo is bone stock. I don't have any mods except for my bov. I meant adjusting the bov from the top by turning the little knob. Like I don't get the psssshhhht sound, I get a different sound, but like I said, it is faint. I can't hear it whenever I rev my car only when I step on it. Sorry.......
Old Nov 2, 2005, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's what your aps should sound like. If it doesn't sound like this, you most likely put it in backwards. And this is only at full throttle, anything less and it will be more quiet, if you hear it at all.

http://www.sihatch.com/Videos/MOV00158.MPG
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
here's what your aps should sound like. If it doesn't sound like this, you most likely put it in backwards. And this is only at full throttle, anything less and it will be more quiet, if you hear it at all.

http://www.sihatch.com/Videos/MOV00158.MPG

True, this is a quiet BOV, most of the time it recirculates back into the intake pipe, but if you really get on it the sound is louder because some of the air is venting outside of the intake pipe. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
Hey wats up guys, I just installed my APS Bov today and I was tuning it but I couldn't get a loud flutter out of it. It is really faint. Is it because my evo is bone stock? I expected it to be loud. Also, does it go VTA when your above stock psi?? Any help would be greatful, thanx.
The purpose of this BOV is to hold higher than stock boost more effectively than the stock BOV. Its purpose is not to make noise on your stock Evo. It is a complete waste of money until you have other mods, and it is pretty disgraceful to intentionally purchase it for the purpose of making noise.

The good thing is that you got a BOV that works great and that actually doesn't affect driveability, idle, or the between-shift-fuel-mixture. When you eventually add boost control, exhaust, and a tune, it will be a great BOV to have. Just don't base its value off the noise, and do NOT screw around with the nut on top just so that you can hear it. You should have left it alone, and now it's probably messed up.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The purpose of this BOV is to hold higher than stock boost more effectively than the stock BOV. Its purpose is not to make noise on your stock Evo. It is a complete waste of money until you have other mods, and it is pretty disgraceful to intentionally purchase it for the purpose of making noise.

The good thing is that you got a BOV that works great and that actually doesn't affect driveability, idle, or the between-shift-fuel-mixture. When you eventually add boost control, exhaust, and a tune, it will be a great BOV to have. Just don't base its value off the noise, and do NOT screw around with the nut on top just so that you can hear it. You should have left it alone, and now it's probably messed up.
I didn't buy it for the noise. I bought it for its purpose. I hear a lot about this bov and how its dual venting. I know it doesn't affect drivability. If I wanted pure noise, I wouldve gotten a different bov. I was just wondering because all the evo owners I've talked to around here think its a little odd that my bov isn't loud. I told them it was recirculating and thats why it isn't but they still thought it was weird. Im not trying to be a jackass but wats with u and making people feel like dumbasses. You seriously have to chill and try to be more nice. I know what Im doing, I just don't want my car to get hurt.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't buy it for the noise. I bought it for its purpose. I hear a lot about this bov and how its dual venting. I know it doesn't affect drivability. If I wanted pure noise, I wouldve gotten a different bov. I was just wondering because all the evo owners I've talked to around here think its a little odd that my bov isn't loud. I told them it was recirculating and thats why it isn't but they still thought it was weird. Im not trying to be a jackass but wats with u and making people feel like dumbasses. You seriously have to chill and try to be more nice. I know what Im doing, I just don't want my car to get hurt.
I don't see how you could say you bought it for its purpose when your car is stock. It has NO purpose, and all you're worried about is the noise. The people around you don't know anything. Listen to the people here who have it and who know what they're doing. You did not need that BOV to hold stock boost. You could have paid half the price for a JDM MR DV that also makes very little noise, but holds boost just as well. Unfortunately, though, that still wouldn't have been useful on your stock car. THere is no reason to spend $200+ on a BOV without any other mods. You say you know what you're doing and that you don't want your car to get hurt, yet you add a mod that could only do more harm than good...especially when you start tightening the nut for the purpose of SOUND without having any idea how it affects the purging ability of your pressure system.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

i had this bov and it doesn't sound too loud over the stock unit.. but you do hear a good amount of whooooooooosh sound if thats what you are looking for.. first of all..you shouldve left it stock setting instead of adjusting it to create noise..stock setting is 50/50 and i believe thats the best way to go

you probaly installed the bov backward...trying looking at other peoples install and compare it to yours... having it backward will still work but no recommended because it will damage the turbo...try flipping it around and see if it sounds like it suppose to
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I don't see how you could say you bought it for its purpose when your car is stock. It has NO purpose, and all you're worried about is the noise. The people around you don't know anything. Listen to the people here who have it and who know what they're doing. You did not need that BOV to hold stock boost. You could have paid half the price for a JDM MR DV that also makes very little noise, but holds boost just as well. Unfortunately, though, that still wouldn't have been useful on your stock car. THere is no reason to spend $200+ on a BOV without any other mods. You say you know what you're doing and that you don't want your car to get hurt, yet you add a mod that could only do more harm than good...especially when you start tightening the nut for the purpose of SOUND without having any idea how it affects the purging ability of your pressure system.
Look man, I bought the Bov because other bov's stalled on our cars. I looked up this bov and saw that APS got rid of the problem of our car stalling on VTA bov's. This bov is recirculating when not on high boost, but when you have high boost applications it VTA's. I like the sound and all but thats not what I am worried about. BTW, I didn't really do anything to the nut. I unscrewed it by hand a little bit and then screwed back to what it was. Thanx though for your help......
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Look man, I bought the Bov because other bov's stalled on our cars. I looked up this bov and saw that APS got rid of the problem of our car stalling on VTA bov's. This bov is recirculating when not on high boost, but when you have high boost applications it VTA's. I like the sound and all but thats not what I am worried about. BTW, I didn't really do anything to the nut. I unscrewed it by hand a little bit and then screwed back to what it was. Thanx though for your help......
Ok, I'm glad you didn't mess with the nut much. When you said, "...and I was tuning it but I couldn't get a loud flutter out of it...I meant adjusting the bov from the top by turning the little knob. Like I don't get the psssshhhht sound, I get a different sound, but like I said, it is faint." That worried me.

What do you mean you saw that the APS got rid of the stalling problem? There is no stalling problem with the stock BOV. Why would you try to remedy a problem from a BOV that you don't own by purchasing a $200+ BOV for your stock car? I don't understand that line of thinking. Yes, VTA BOVs cause problems, but you didn't have a VTA BOV, so what did you plan on doing with this one without any other mods?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Like by that I meant that, when I get an intake w/a tune, I was going to get a bov so I have been searching for one and the APS turned out to be the best one in my opinion. Also, could u help me with one more thing, my car whines sometimes when I accelerate and then stops whining when I let off and my rpms drop, what do you think the problem is man??? Thanx man once again
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

I still think it sounds like a wimpy sneeze, here is a pic of the proper installation of the APS BOV, pardon the dirty engine bay, I drive through construction to/from work everyday. yah, yah, I know it's not an acceptable excuse....
Attached Thumbnails Question about APS Bov!!!-dsc00690.jpg  
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

you will get more ponies if you save your money you were going to spend for an intake and spend it on a MBC instead, and then your BOV would actually be a "decent" investment because you will be over stock boost. then you will have an extra 100 or so on top of your flash. (intakes are about 200, MBC is about 100)
your whining...maybe the turbo, all evos whine a little bit.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Thanx everyone for all your help..........I've found all the answers to my questions!!! Thanx once again!!!