Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

disconnecting stock boost controller?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2005, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disconnecting stock boost controller?

okay i was thinking and praying that i can just unplug my stock boost controler, so that my car does not fall down to 16psi, and install my MBC in its place with out running any new vac lines..... would this work or and i screwed up for thinking this....
Old Nov 2, 2005, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

you cant unplug the wastegate bro...A manual boost controller is added to keep the wastegate shut so it does not vent boost so early based on your settings. There is no stock "boost controller".
Old Nov 2, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

i think he is talking about taking the hoses off the stock boost control solenoid and using them for his mbc insted of installing new lines.

i dont know from experience in this exact car, but in every other turbo car ive tinkered with it is possible to do that with no ill effects. ofcourse your mbc ports will have to fit into the oem lines, and you'll need to cap off the oem boost solenoid so it doesnt get damaged from moisture or whatever else could damage it.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hornytoad
okay i was thinking and praying that i can just unplug my stock boost controler, so that my car does not fall down to 16psi, and install my MBC in its place with out running any new vac lines..... would this work or and i screwed up for thinking this....
No, you can't do that, because the wastegate and turbo nipple have very short hoses that lead to a tee that is down near the turbo. To keep those in place and use them, you'd have to put the MBC way the hell down near the turbo, and you'd never be able to reach with everything else installed. Also, the line going from the tee to the turbo nipple has a restrictor pill in it, so you have to remove that line anyway.

Edit: Btw, there is no stock boost controller. There's a Boost Control Solenoid, but it doesn't work like an MBC.