Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whinning noise from Engine/Tranny

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by travman
So your saying that the BG helped minimize the noise?? Kinda confused since you started the thread with your tranny is making noises and your now saying it works great....
no i'm sayign BG synchosgift is good stuff. it make shifting much smoothler. noise still there.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case I believe.

I had an 03 unfortunately and my car made that noise like 5 different times, everytime it was the transfer case.

They eventually replaced the entire TC and I never heard the noise again, and then I got rid of the car
Old Nov 3, 2005, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

if you read his post, you'll notice it says the problem still exists even when stationary. It's not the transfer case in this situation.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

i dont think you guys are talking about trany noise, when the car is idling making noise it shouldn't be the trans (unless it is REALLY messed up) the noise i think you are describing sounds like a vacuum cleaner that sucked up a sock. I think all EVO's do this, it is normal, your probably worrying over nothing.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HiRevnVIII
i dont think you guys are talking about trany noise, when the car is idling making noise it shouldn't be the trans (unless it is REALLY messed up) the noise i think you are describing sounds like a vacuum cleaner that sucked up a sock. I think all EVO's do this, it is normal, your probably worrying over nothing.
I dont notice mine at idle but when im moving at slow speeds or low rpm in a gear I hear a noise...but to me I know little about Evo's and what tranny noises are supposed to be there and what isnt, im at the point where I hear a noise im like IS THAT NORMAL? because I dont know for sure...I hope im just worrying for nothing but my noise which is similar to what is described by others occurs only when the car is moving in gear...when put in neutral it all goes quiet, least I dont hear anything, I am going to keep testing and see what more I hear and when and where....Plus im going home this weekend so I will have my dsm buddy take a look and see what he thinks, but im sure its normal and if it is so be it! Love the car to much to have a tiny noise interfer with my fun
Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Greg K
if you read his post, you'll notice it says the problem still exists even when stationary. It's not the transfer case in this situation.
the noise come on when i give alittle gas or a lot, even if the car is in neutral. can be the turbo?? the Zeitrnonix datalog show the turbo is holding boost just fine. damn
Old Nov 3, 2005, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
the noise come on when i give alittle gas or a lot, even if the car is in neutral. can be the turbo?? the Zeitrnonix datalog show the turbo is holding boost just fine. damn
read my earlier post. before everyone scares u (not intentionally) and has u concentrating on tranny/tc/turbo/whatever, just think that it could be something very simple and easy to fix - accessory belt. if the temperatures r going down, the belt shrinks and tightens. i know it sounds like a long shot, but it's one of those things that u wanna eliminate before moving on to serious stuff.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
read my earlier post. before everyone scares u (not intentionally) and has u concentrating on tranny/tc/turbo/whatever, just think that it could be something very simple and easy to fix - accessory belt. if the temperatures r going down, the belt shrinks and tightens. i know it sounds like a long shot, but it's one of those things that u wanna eliminate before moving on to serious stuff.

i totally agreed with you. i talk many respected vendor and that's what they told me, and aslo what happend if it's the belt and i don't fix it?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

I noticed the same noise on my 05 Evo RS....It got a lot worse when temperatures went below 32 F.
It varies with engine RPM, so the blet theory seems true.......

BTW, the EVO is so fun to drive, that I forget about "whinning noise" every time I step on the gas....:-)

I had a lot of cars (96 viper, Mercedes SL55, Mustang GT)....The EVO beats them in almost every category........

Don't forget, You paid 30K for a car that will perform better or same than most 100K cars out there........so quit "whinning" about the "whinning noise"....
Old Nov 23, 2005, 05:35 PM

my tranny makes a rattling noise at idle...the guy i bought it off of has an aftermarket exede clutch in there...so i'm thinking it's that...am i the only one?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

tonight marks the first night my car has made any sort of tranny noise. Its also at least 25 degrees out too and this is the coldest ive ever driven the car in. The sound is an EXTREME whining and somtimes a 'clunking' depending on engine rpm AND throttle position. Under little acceleration it seems louder and in higher gears it also seems louder.

Could it be a sign of low transmission fluid? I did my own clutch about 2 months ago and im wondering if something went wrong. Im familiar with the typical transmission whine but this is not it.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

i totally agreed with you. i talk many respected vendor and that's what they told me, and aslo what happend if it's the belt and i don't fix it?
the belt will wear out quicker and in extreme and prolonged cases, the bearings in the AC, steering pump and alternator can wear out. i haven't looked at the manual, but adjusting the tension of accessory belt shouldnt be that hard. just don't make it too loose, so it won't pop off.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Mine did the same thing. It was my lower Intercooler pipe. One of my bolt wasnt tighten so the bolt fell out and my pipe was loose. So it made a loud whining noise.
today i knowest my car have a whinning noise coming from the engine bay somewhere. Even at a dead stop i can hear it when i give a little gas and when i let off. the heard the whinning goes up and than drop as the rpm drop. what can it be?? the car drive fine. thanks in advance for any replies
Old Jun 26, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Reviving this post from the past!

I think you guys are describing the new sound that just arrived in my Evo in the last few hundred miles (currently at ~13,500 miles). I figured I would post up my experience to help those that search later. I throw in a few new key words for kicks .

I too hear a high pitched and not very loud whinning (or squealing or hissing) noise at low rpm. I can hear it between 1k rpm and 2.5 rpm. It sounds slightly metallic - like the noise train wheels make on train tracks at slow speeds - but also slightly airy (hence the word hissing).

I get when the engine is in the 1K to 2.5k range under a number of circumstances. I hear it both when the revs are climbing, dropping or at steady state. I can be stopped with clutch pedal pressed to the floor and the stick in gear and get the noise. I can have my foot off the clutch pedal and have the stick in neutral and get the noise. I can be driving along slowly in gear and get the noise, even without giving gas. For example, if I am doing 30mph in 4th (~2k rpm) the noise will continue even if I take my foot off the gas and coast. If I am a 2k rpm in 4th and go WOT, the noise goes away and I believe it goes away before 2.5k rpm. From what I have experienced, I do not believe that the sound is tranny or awd/transfer-case related.

Also, I don't hear the noise when I first start my car but only after I have driven for a few minutes/miles and the engine is up to temperature.

While some of you say that cold weather exposed the noise for you, it was warm here (60F-90F) when I heard it.

Most of you say this is normal, so I am not going to freak out. I'll see what my mechanic says when I go in for my next service.

Cheers!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Update.

I took my car to Mitsu to get the whine looked at. The tech pinpointed the upper drivebelt pulley (the pulley that is highest up and closest to the nose of the car) as the source of the noise. He also thought that the water pump bearing might have been noisey. They ended up replacing the pulley, water pump and drive belt. In the process the tech saw that belt rubber was building up on the pulley - perhaps if ignored this problem might have resulted in premature belt breakage.

Thankfully, the noise is now completely fixed.

Last edited by 286bhp; Aug 14, 2008 at 07:35 AM.