Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whinning noise from Engine/Tranny

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whinning noise from Engine/Tranny

today i knowest my car have a whinning noise coming from the engine bay somewhere. Even at a dead stop i can hear it when i give a little gas and when i let off. the heard the whinning goes up and than drop as the rpm drop. what can it be?? the car drive fine. thanks in advance for any replies
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the same problem and I wonder the same thing. One day itll be whining like all hell and the next itll go away like nothing ever happend. Im a little worried..........
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
I have the same problem and I wonder the same thing. One day itll be whining like all hell and the next itll go away like nothing ever happend. Im a little worried..........
me too. i'm worried eventhough my datalog show everythingis is fine
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

your not referring to the trademark evo vacuum cleaner noise are you?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is totally normal, just another sound mitsubishi has "engineered" themselves into, just like the lifter tick.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

but it's weird,it doesn't make the noise unless i rev it or drive itat slow speed. the noise will go up and drop as i let go of the gas.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

like i said, this is normal,my car does the same thing, so do all other evos ive heard. dont worry about it. you will only hear it at low engine speeds, above that other noised cancel this noise out
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think anyone will be able to place it unless they sit in your car. However, my car, like many other evos i have been in, "whine" a bit between 1k and, oh, idk, 2.5k. After that, engine and exhaust noise drone it out. You hear it most on a cold start. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner that sucked up a sock. Ive tried to locate the noise in the engine bay at it sounds exhaust related. At first i thought it might be intake resonance, but I don't think so. Anyways, it sounds like its coming from where the head meets the exhaust manifold. Maybe its below that in the down pipe, idk.

Next cold start, when the engine idles around 1.5k for a min or so, lift the hood and see if you can hear where its coming from.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mercenary3
I dont think anyone will be able to place it unless they sit in your car. However, my car, like many other evos i have been in, "whine" a bit between 1k and, oh, idk, 2.5k. After that, engine and exhaust noise drone it out. You hear it most on a cold start. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner that sucked up a sock. Ive tried to locate the noise in the engine bay at it sounds exhaust related. At first i thought it might be intake resonance, but I don't think so. Anyways, it sounds like its coming from where the head meets the exhaust manifold. Maybe its below that in the down pipe, idk.

Next cold start, when the engine idles around 1.5k for a min or so, lift the hood and see if you can hear where its coming from.
i have just try that couldn't heard anything. unless i give it a little gas.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

more than likely its your tranny or tcase, just get used to it and turn up your music, or get a loud exhaust
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Mine used to do the same on my 03 when i bought the car, but after 10k miles on it, it went away completely. Now i can hear it on my 05 again thats a new car
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

could be accessory belt that's too tight or something. i remember when i replaced timing belt on my teg and had to remove and then put back all 3 accessory belts, i made one of them too tight, so it whined in a similar way that u described, until i losened it a lil. might explain why the noise goes away as u put miles on the car - the belt stretches and is no longer too tight.
never heard that type of whining in my evo though. i love all the normal whining from tranny and tcase and loud tires, makes it sound more like a real rally-prepped car. as long as it doesn't whine because it's broken
Old Nov 3, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

I have that same exact problem and it just started a few days ago, least thats when I began to notice it...Its freakin me out, because I dont want to have transmission problems yet because I just bought the car with 8k miles and I have 11k on it now...The weather has been colder since I bought the car so I dont know if its a cold weather thing or not, may not know until next spring...I was thinking of changing tranny fluids and swapping to some BG Syncrho Shift see if maybe that would help but then I dont want to change anything because if it ends up being a warranty thing I dont want them screwing me...I dont race nor beat on the car heavily, I do some spirited driving at times but mostly just commuting to work and back....Nice thing is this is something I am not alone with so that helps put my mind at ease
Old Nov 3, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman
I have that same exact problem and it just started a few days ago, least thats when I began to notice it...Its freakin me out, because I dont want to have transmission problems yet because I just bought the car with 8k miles and I have 11k on it now...The weather has been colder since I bought the car so I dont know if its a cold weather thing or not, may not know until next spring...I was thinking of changing tranny fluids and swapping to some BG Syncrho Shift see if maybe that would help but then I dont want to change anything because if it ends up being a warranty thing I dont want them screwing me...I dont race nor beat on the car heavily, I do some spirited driving at times but mostly just commuting to work and back....Nice thing is this is something I am not alone with so that helps put my mind at ease
yep, i uses Diaqueen LSD for front and rear diff, and BG synchroshift your tranny. works great
Old Nov 3, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
yep, i uses Diaqueen LSD for front and rear diff, and BG synchroshift your tranny. works great
So your saying that the BG helped minimize the noise?? Kinda confused since you started the thread with your tranny is making noises and your now saying it works great....