Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

shifting w/o using the clutch..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shifting w/o using the clutch..

ok, what part of the drivetrain is this bad for? i had a friend tell me he does it all the time, and i tried to today, pretty easy, slides in at the right rpm. thanks
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Please tell me your joking?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

...just
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

yes i can work but its not a good idea your friend drives a civic or cavalier 5 sp. presumably.lol dont do it. I used to do that in my 240sx haha not a good idea
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

I've had a buddy do that too. But not in my car. Just don't do it at high rpm
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

what is the purpose of that
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

its not joking... seen some rally racer doing it all the time. and its pretty easy when you at right rpm/speed. but I never done it with my Evo 8 .. used to do it with other cars but just dont wanna do it with my Evo 8 coz Evo's transfercase and clutch isnt that strong ..

and about shifting with out clutch.. its just like slide in. shouldnt have any resistant at all ...
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JSYEVO
ok, what part of the drivetrain is this bad for? i had a friend tell me he does it all the time, and i tried to today, pretty easy, slides in at the right rpm. thanks
why would you want to do that?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

no, it's quite possible to shift without using the clutch. Downshifting is typically quicker since you ahve the capabilities to rev match. If you're good, you would only need to pause in between gears for a split second. Upshifting is the harder part, you either have to wait for the revs to drop, or put stress on the synchros. But, both can be done safely.

On a side note, clutchless shifting is precisely how the corvette test drivers rip out the record setting runs. And motorcycle racers will often shift clutchless (sometimes timing it with fuel cut to slip into the next gear....so cool!)
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Trojan man
no, it's quite possible to shift without using the clutch. Downshifting is typically quicker since you ahve the capabilities to rev match. If you're good, you would only need to pause in between gears for a split second. Upshifting is the harder part, you either have to wait for the revs to drop, or put stress on the synchros. But, both can be done safely.

On a side note, clutchless shifting is precisely how the corvette test drivers rip out the record setting runs. And motorcycle racers will often shift clutchless (sometimes timing it with fuel cut to slip into the next gear....so cool!)
I'll repeat my question. This is a perfectly good working evo, with a working clutch on the street. Why would you want to do that? Yes, it can be done, but why?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

If your planning on having your tranny last I would not do. Unless your amazing a rev matching it will most likely wear your syncros alot faster then normal.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

ha its not really that bad for your tranny, i wouldn't do it constantly, but the car will easily slip into gear at certain rpms. again, i wouldn't do it daily, but if you do it right your not destroying anything.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JSYEVO
What's the right rpm to slide it in per gear without using the clutch?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Umm..the rally racer you're talking about was probably using anti-lag to keep the turbo spooled between shifts as well as NTLS (no lift to shift) for even shifting at high rpms to minimize off-peak power. NTLS is computer based through an EMS system as is anti-lag.

In answer to your question, flatshifting is hard on your clutch as well as driveline. It's not recommended by most unless you use the aforementioned idealogies with NTLS built into an EMS *and even then there have been multiple people who've broken parts whilst performing such stunts.*

HTH.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

It's possible, but I wouldn't do it.

Quick Reply: shifting w/o using the clutch..