Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oh No! Am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oh No! Am I screwed?

Hey Guys,

Well i was driving to school this morning and merging on the the Freeway...
I was in 2nd gear, at around 4.5-5000 rpm's, right before i went to shift, I heard this not so great sound come from my engine bay. I continued my shift to 3rd and the clutch grabbed just fine. When I applied pressure to the gas pedal I heard this terrible knocking sound, so I let of the gas and the knocking stopped. I barely put any pressure on the gas and I hear knocking, but if i give it a little more gas the knocking seems to stop until the RPM's reach a constant level again like 3000 rpms. ASAP i pulled off the next exit and noticed the knocking getting worse. I got to the street light, and stopped. The Car idled fine, no stalling no knocking. I was 2 miles from home, in a really bad neighborhood so I got back in and drove it straight home. I tried my best to keep it out of the gears, coasting every chance i got. I pulled up to my house, and I let it run in Neutral, and the car almost dies...
It Runs, but barely... No engine, Oil, Temp light. Nothing....
I know something is terribly wrong, i dont know if its a piston or Cams or what, but my real question is What is my dealer going to say? The car has 22k miles, oil was changed about 500 miles ago, and changed regularly. The only Mods I have is:
Vishnu ECU cannonball Reflash
ACT Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
Up until now the car has been great! No Problems except, my clutch was replaced at 9k miles. Which was not covered by my warranty, that is why im am so scared that Mitsubishi is going to not cover it. I dont track my car, I have only a handful gotten it to 6.5 rpms. Can anyone give me some feedback?
Thanks so much!
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Do you know its a knock coming from the inside of the Engine? Can be anything.. check oil and make sure thats fine etc. then just take it to the dealer, you don't really have any detectable mods..
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:50 PM

Well when you put your hand over the red cover ( valve cover?) sorry i dont know much about mechanics, you can feel the ticking. Im pretty sure this is where its coming from, thats why im so scared. Ill go check my oilright now..
Thanks for replying so promptly =). All You guys Rock!

Just checked the Oil, and its Fine. Right where it needs to be. I looked closely at the dip stick and I did not notice any metal flakes. Did it twice.

Last edited by inix; Nov 2, 2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds like you've got a spun rod bearing which is a catostrophic failure. Don't worry about the clutch. Mitsubishi shouldn't say anything about that since it is considered a "wearable" item just like brake pads. There should be no reason for them to void your warranty with the mods you listed. Be cool and forget you have the flash for the ECU. Seriously, I think you will be fine. Take the car into the dealership and explain that this is their responsibility. Be convincing without being pushy. If that doesn't work then call Mitsu directly. I hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited by Imyurturboluva; Nov 2, 2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:17 PM

Thank you so very much, Imyurturboluva.

I really Love my car, I just dont want to shell out god knows how many thousands of dollars to get it Fixed, because it sounds incredibly terrible. Lets just say that I think I woke the enitre street when I was coming home. For the Love of God i Hope your right. I wont sleep tonight watch! lol. Thanks again!!!
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

That sucks if it's a spun bearing.. You should be cool at the dealership, just like the other guys said, forget about the flash.. It is undetectable by the dealer. Another guy here had the same problem and went through hell , just make sure it's done right by a mechanic that knows his stuff.

Old Nov 3, 2005, 03:50 AM

Bump. This really sucks . I am looking to get a car like this within the next couple of years and Evo is at the top for obvious reasons. However, I am becoming increasingly concerned about their reliability, particularly in this area. Do we know the cause of the problem (poor machining, excessive tolerances, quality of bearings, oil supply) and is this common with other 4G63 motors (Eclipse)??

Please keep us up to date. We are pulling for you and Ray Baer.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 08:53 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the support RcCarNut,
I will be calling my Dealer today as soon as I get a break in school this morning. The really bad thing about this whole situation is my local dealerr i have in town is a f****'n joke. They pretty much laughed at me when i went o purchase my car. When I asked to Test drive the Evo the Sales manager looked at me and laughed and said "im sorry, but these are for Serious buyers only". I replied "No problem, Ill take the 8k in my pocket and go somewhere else". The Sales manager did an about face and handed me the keys to their demo Evo. Long story short I test drove the crap out of it, and returned to the dealer. The sales manager said "Do you like the car? would you like to take it home today?", "Yea I think i will be buying one, Just not from you!". I drove 26 miles south to a great Mitsubishi Dealer, and got a smashing Deal! When my clutch went out I had to pay for the towing to the dealer, but when i picked up my the reimbursed the towing charges, which was great! If you live in the Bay Area I highly Highly recommend San Rafeal Mitsubishi. Excellent Customoer Service! Ask for Snorae!
So now my Dalema is getting my thrashed car down to the dealer i bought it from cause i refuse to so buisness with MANLY Mitsubishi! Yea i said it MANLY!!!!!
Ill post as soon as I get off the phone with my Dealer, with hopefully some good news, cause god knows i need it!
Old Nov 3, 2005, 03:54 PM

Well, I talked to my Dealer this morning, and explained the situation and when it occured and what not. The service manger said "it sounds like oil starvation to me". I told him my oil was changed about 3 weeks ago, and My current oil level is perfect, right at the second line. He said theres noway he can tell me what the prob is, so he told me to NOT touch the car, dont do anything with it, just get it over there so they can see if it will be covered under the warranty.
(which it better). I am trying to locate a trailer so I can tow it the 30 miles to the dealer, without having to pay $150 Tow bill upfront. He did state that if i did pay for the towing, and the problem was under warranty they would refund me the money upon pickup of the car. Ill let you guys know when i get it there... and what their response was.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

good luck
Old Nov 3, 2005, 04:30 PM

Good luck w/ the warranty. Hope everything works out in your favor.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 04:20 PM

Bump. What is the latest??
Old Nov 15, 2005, 08:48 PM

I Finally got my car into the Dealer this weekend, and gave them a call sometime this week. The good news is the Service manager said he called the warranty place to get authorization for the repairs, but since i havent taken it to that local dealer for maintnce, they want to see some proof that i have been doing my oil changes. Which is fine, I have taken my car to My dealer here for the first 3 oil changes, all the rest have been here at home. oil\filter. How am i supposed to show proof of oil changes here at home.. I havent saved my receipts for the oil sheesh, and i never kept them becasue i was planning on keeping this car. never selling it. So if anyone has receipts of Oil\filters.. for an 03' Evo.. I'll make it worth your while. He did say however if I dont show proof they are'nt going to say no, but if I could come up with any of them it would surely help. So i have the first 3 changes, and with a little help from some fellow (hrrmmm) evo'rs. Ill have a brand new engine. =) Lets see if Karhma really does pay back..
Thank for everyones support so far!!
Old Nov 15, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

send current oil out for analysis (Blackstone) they will be able to tell current state of engine condition with metallic traces found in the oil. great proof that you took care of the engine with regular oil changes.

best of luck.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by res04
send current oil out for analysis (Blackstone) they will be able to tell current state of engine condition with metallic traces found in the oil. great proof that you took care of the engine with regular oil changes.

best of luck.
It's eating up a rod bearing so the oil analysis will be horrible.

Quick Reply: Oh No! Am I screwed?