Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS twin plate clutch

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2005, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS twin plate clutch

Guys and girls, I need some help with clutches from the people who know (i.e. you all!).

I have a UK Evo VIII MR FQ340 (GSR) with a 6 speed gearbox and in need of a new clutch that will be able to handle 450 bhp/400 ft lb torque.

I have narrowed my choice to the HKS twin plate clutch after the Exedy twin plate was discovered to have been designed for 5 speed gearboxes (RS) and often causes issues with 6 speed boxes (the input shaft on the 6speed is 20mm shorter on the pline than the 5 speed so there is less engagement on the second plate (clutch end)).

Hence I need a twin plate HKS clutch that is suitable for a 6 speed VIII MR gearbox guaranteed...with no fitting issues. The problem is that HKS europe and HKS USA only seem to advertise the following twin plate clutches for the VIII:

The GD clutch max (twin plate) part no: 2604-SM001
The GD clutch pro (twin plate) part no: 2604-RM002

These 2 I am told have been designed for use with the 5 speed gearboxes (i.e. RS)...which is the type you guys get over in there. The majority of VIIIs we get are GSRs and they have AYC/6 speed boxes. HKS japan have 2 more clutches on sale which are meant to be 6 speed box-specific:

GD clutch max twin plate (6 speed). Part no: 26004-AM002
GD clutch pro twin plate (6 speed). Part no: 26004-AM003

This info is on the HKS japan site (6th group of products from bottom):
http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/...e/evo/evo.html

I'm still not sure what to get though. I cannot source the 6 speed clutches in the UK...our suppliers only seem to be able to get the 5 speed box ones. Will the 5 speed box ones be fine on my car? Does anyone have first hand experience with what fits/works well on 6 speed Evo VIIIs in terms of HKS twin plate clutches?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I never ever thought changing a clutch would be so difficult

Last edited by alex_123_fra; Nov 4, 2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:40 PM

i know someone at hks and will call to see if i can get you more info on where to buy it.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

I had a pretty negative experience w/ HKS twin disk on my 03 evo. Perhaps due to installer error but was an overall $hity experience. I would go with Exedy if those were my only choices. FYI, I have since gone with ACT.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 02:36 AM

Thanks guys,

All info is appreciated. I don't know much about ACT...do they do twin plate clutches? Is that for the six speed box (VIII)?
Old Nov 5, 2005, 03:02 AM
Evolved Member

Ive seen both setup's in 2 evos and they hate them they make alot of noise and under hard driveing sometimes does not want to go in. I recomend a tilton c/c clutch they are the best and if anything happens to it they will and should replace it. good luck
Old Nov 5, 2005, 05:33 AM
aps
Evolving Member

Just ı want to say Dont buy hks.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 05:37 AM
aps
Evolving Member

If ı were you ı would buy this kit:

http://www.stikiller.com/product.php...&cat=62&page=1
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:04 AM
Account Disabled

where are you seeing the input shaft being smaller? The twins on the market are suitable for all Evo's from the IV on up. Even the Ralliart twin (I forget the maker) states it fits all the models from the IV on up

http://www.poweraxel.com/ralliart/ca...e/evo9/c1.html
Old Nov 12, 2005, 12:23 PM

Thanks everyone for views/advice,

Z1, this is what I was told by my very experienced fitter who has fitted many Exedy twin plate clutches to Evo VIII 5 and 6 speed gear boxes...works perfectly on the 5-speed boxes, but often problematic on 6-speed.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:24 AM

Another vote against HKS...I had one in the used EVO I bought...hated it...and it failed right after I got the car (34K miles total on the car) so it surely did not last long.

Now I have an ACT with 6 puck....and a grinding third gear that the dealer will not fix because "you don't have a catalytic converter" <snicker>

Coty
Old Nov 15, 2005, 04:12 AM
Evolving Member

Well, to start with I’ve never heard anything bad about the HKS clutches, lots of people using them over here. The GD Pro is the tougher one but with less driveability, more on/off feeling so to speak, the GD Max is very much like the Exedy twin in feeling and probably also in power handling capabilities and both are fully rebuildable.

Regarding the 5/6 speed issue there is definitely some kind of difference, unfortunately I don’t know the details but when I ordered a new stock clutch for an EVO8 from Japan I was asked if it was for a 5 speed or a 6 speed car. Also the fact that HKS has two different versions depending on the same thing speaks for it self as I see it.

I would definitely try to get the 26004-AM002 GD Max if I were to get anything for a 6-speed car.