Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lightened flywheel -- Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkey
If you have one, how are the upshifts? Do you have to double clutch on upshifts?
Sorry for the late reply, but I don't think anyone answered this... if I'm not mistaken, double clutching on newer cars is unnecessary because they all have synchros to help engage the gears.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by x838nwy
Yippeeee!!! We use Solidworks too!!! Look forward to the info.
SolidWorks is great. I miss doing that kind of work.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only human being who double clutches when shifting up is Vin Diesel.
Not in old cars, new cars, lawn mowers, hovercrafts, flying broomsticks, tractors, battleships , just plain NO.

As for shifting down, there are benefits but IMO it's not critical and if you're not too familiar with it (or vey coordinated) it will slow you down cos there will be too many things for you to concentrate on. It's a pretty neat thing to be able to do, but if you want to be faster, I wouldn't bother too much about it. Getting the basics right will get you a long way, trying to over-complicate your driving is a really good way of slowing youself down.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didnt read the whole thread so if someone mentioned it alreay sorry I have the WORKS Chromoly flywheel and I love it. They have 2 actually an aluminum which is like 9#'s and the one i have now which is like 12 or so. The 9# personally I wouldnt recommend for a drag car. I had it on for a while and I couldnt launch for ****, it was hard for me to control the rpms. The car definitely felt "lighter" with it, on the freeway it felt pretty good and for an autox car it would be perfect. I now have the chromoly flywheel, and love it, the car still spools a bit quicker and its easy to launch. Im not knocking the stock one, I had no issues with mine obviously, but it had already been resurfaced once so I decided to go with something else.

So, I guess what im saying is, im satisfied with my WORKS Chromoly FW..Id buy it again once I need to.