Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TME turbo/cams/fuel pump install Impressions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2005, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TME turbo/cams/fuel pump install Impressions

Took the day off work to install the TME turbo, 264 cams, and Walbro fuel pump. Here are my impressions on the install.

Cams - followed Evomoto's install instructions basically. You do not need to remove the serpintine belt to see the crank position, so getting the car to TDC is really easy. Just remove the passenger side front wheel, pull the rubber grommet to expose the crank shaft bolt and turn away until you reach TDC. Tie wrapping the camgears to the a/c hose is an excellent idea. What to do with the cam position sensor isn't "obvious" by looking at it, you'll need instructions on what to do with it. All in all, an easy install. Bled the lifters. I think this is a very good idea. I could not depress any of the lifters prior to bleeding, I can imagine the internal pressures that build up on first crank if you don't bleed your lifters Almost garaunteed to blow a seal. The car ticked on start-up, took about 5-10 minutes to stop with a combo of idling, and revving to 3k rpm's and letting off. But once they stopped ticking, they stopped for good. Took me about 5 hrs., but I was taking my time and looking things over since this is the first time I've torn into my EVO. Things to consider having on hand if you don't already.... tie wraps, assembly lube, high temp. liquid gasket, contact cleaner, and mostly a clean environment that's well lit with plenty of clean shop rags. Some of the Evomoto links don't work, here's what I used. http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...3_6&tech_id=18

TME Turbo - Removed the radiator (damn does that thing drain slow), upper intercooler pipe (to get the radiator out with all it's attachments) and air box to get to some hard to reach hose clamps. Didn't follow any install instructions (couldn't find any via search that were worth anything), but removed the manifold/turbo/O2 housing, turbo outlet pipe, oil supply/return, water supply/return as unit. Don't try to take the lower heat shield off, you can't while it's in the car! The only trouble I had on this install was removing the two studs on the 02 housing and the turbo to manifold flange. Started with the turbo/manifold flange.... gawled the first stud, the second stud didn't want to come out, so I gave up on those. Same with the 02 housing. I've read the primary O2 sensor is just as bad about gawling, but I didn't have to take it out, since I dropped the 02 housing with the whole assembly. Luckily, I had some extra studs on hand from a previous life that saved me a trip to the dealership. The oil return gasket from the turbo is a paper type gasket, and it will not survive the removal process. All of the other gaskets were metal, and they could be reused if you wanted to. All in all, another fairly install. This took me about 8 hrs., but again, I was taking my time, looking things over, and checking stock prices through the day. Things to consider having on hand.... penetrating lube, extra manifold studs, oil/filter for change out, radiator fluid for flush, turbo oil outlet gasket (or material to make your own), never seize, and plenty of shop towels, you'll have oil and water spilling out of everything you're opening up. Normally on a job this size, there is at least one bolt you can't get to and you strip the head, but not on this one, just the studs that are almost impossible to get out.

Fuel pump - followed Evomoto's install instructions. The instructions are fairly accurate, and anyone who says they can install the pump in 15 minutes, I'll buy them a case of beer! It takes friggin forever to get the retaining flange position in a way that it will come out of a whole that's smaller than the flange! The only trouble other trouble I had was reaching some of the 8 mm bolts on the retaining ring. You'll need a short swivel to get to them. Again, some of the Evomoto links don't work, so here's what I used. http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...3_13&tech_id=9

Whew! Time to crack a cold one , hope this helps anyone who's thinking of doing this themselves. If you have a good assortment of tools, it's not that difficult. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best to explain in further detail if anyone wants.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

very good write-up.

I'll be doing my cams in a week or so.

I haven't really found any instructions on the cam sensor other than what is in the service manual. I think the main thing is getting the sensing cylinder to be aligned appropriately, which appears to be in a 45 degree angle with the larger vane facing down and to the right. Anything else to know about that?

Also I'd like to hear some driving impressions if you had a chance to test it out.

Last edited by 95GSXtoEVO8; Nov 7, 2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 95GSXtoEVO8
very good write-up.

I'll be doing my cams in a week or so.

I haven't really found any instructions on the cam sensor other than what is in the service manual. I think the main thing is getting the sensing cylinder to be aligned appropriately, which appears to be in a 45 degree angle with the larger vane facing down and to the right. Anything else to know about that?

Also I'd like to hear some driving impressions if you had a chance to test it out.
Really, the cam sensor is about the trickiest thing, but you're right on track with the 45 degree angle facing down with the larger vane. I don't know how big of a deal sealing the cam cover will be in that area, but I took extra precautions just in case. If you have the service manual write-up, I don't think you can go wrong. The only other things to add, careful with the cam caps/journals. Mine didn't want to "release" very easily. It took some persuasion with a soft mallet and a bit of rocking back and forth. Time consuming, but better than scaring up the guides the caps compress onto. Also, bleed the lifters! And don't drop any, it looks like there are some nooks and cranny's big enough to swallow a rocker or two.

My driving impressions so far.... NO LEAKS! And the idle is fine. Since I've just done quite a bit of work and still driving on the stock ECU with no add-on control, I haven't gotten into it. I will say, part throttle response on this turbo is sick! Can't wait to open it up a bit. I've got a flash session this weekend, but I'll just putz around till then.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Did you get EVO 6.5 RS TME Turbo or TC 20G TME Turbo Upgrade ?
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome write up
Old Nov 8, 2005, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
TME Turbo - Removed the radiator (damn does that thing drain slow)
My radiator drains pretty fast.... one question, did you leave the cap on the radiator when you were trying to drain it?

Keith
Old Nov 8, 2005, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what year car did you do this on, or should I say, do you have a 10.5 hotside 4 sale?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
... and how many miles do you have on her?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

the turbo I put on was the 6.5 RS TME.

Yes, I had the radiator cap off when draing the radiator. I don't know what the deal was, the outlet spiget of the radiator is like 3/8" or smaller.

This install was on an 03, so no 10.5 hotside laying around.

The car has 41k miles, and haven't had any trouble with her to date.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

yeah if you take the cap off it will drain in moments, (2nd oldest trick in the book) but its cool
Old Nov 8, 2005, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Great write up! thanks. I am seriously contemplating this exact combo on my '03, so I am anxious to hear your impressions (and hopefully dyno numbers) after the flash. What other mods do you have currently, and how much boost are you running?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 'ringmeister
Great write up! thanks. I am seriously contemplating this exact combo on my '03, so I am anxious to hear your impressions (and hopefully dyno numbers) after the flash. What other mods do you have currently, and how much boost are you running?
thanks, the only other things on the car are a 3"TBE, cam gears, and panel filter. (APS BOV, but that doesn't figure into hp). Not sure what boost I'll be running, whatever Shiv says is safe on 93 octane. Probably 21 psi? I'll be happy to share the dyno sheets, I should have them this Saturday. I'm a little concerned about the stock clutch holding, it has 41k miles, but I shouldn't be making anywhere close to the torque a stock clutch (new) should slip at.

The reason I went this route, I want a street car I can get in, flog pretty hard every day on pump gas, and not worry about breaking anything. The car won't go to any track events, just a daily driver, so I'm not looking for all out hp. I think the 6.5 TME and the 264's will be a good compromise between power and civility.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Did you ever get the car dynoed?