Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

how to install zeitronix zt2?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to install zeitronix zt2?

Just got my zeitronix zt2, now I need to install it

the docs say to connect several wires to the ecu, should I splice these wires or how should I connect these? (without making a big mess)

also, I dont have my DP or manifold tapped for the sensors so I was hoping I could at least connect just the boost sensor and use that untill my DP and manifold are tapped, will this work?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
splice into a harness not into your ecu. if you'd like to know how i'd do it, picture this:

you cut the harness wire you're suppose to splice into, cut it near one end of the harness about 2 inches away

then you strip both ends

then you strip the wire you're suppose to patch in

then you take a 3" heat shrink tube of the appropriate diameter and shrink ratio and you sheath the two "longer wires" basically the wire you're patching in, and the wire you cut from the harness that is not close to the end of the harness (by the way which end doens't matter)

then you twist the two harness wires together, and you twist the patch wire in there after.

apply enough solder to tin the entire connection.

move the heat shrink down all the way until you're at the end of the harness

shrink it

this gives you a very clean patch harness, it's the closest thing you can get to actually connecting the wire at the harness's plug and it gives you this "multi wire" harness look.

http://www.boomslang.us/evo.htm

if you look at the boomslang harness that's what i mean by multiwire harness look, you have more than one wire coming out of the connector.

so repeat process as needed, don't forget to put the heatshrink in and THEN twist and solder. this takes a lot of time but is strong and clean looking. you shouldn't regret it.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Go here: http://www.evotuners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=111 (note rpm is pin 58 and not 88 like the original graphic shows) and then use the power, ground, tps, and rpm/tach wires just like you are hooking up a Safc. I would also get the map sensor so you can see how much boost you are running.

Last edited by 4ringturncoat; Nov 9, 2005 at 03:36 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 09:44 AM

I will be needing a safc aswell, should I buy that boomslang harness extension wire up the safc and datalogger into that instead of hacking my original harness?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, get the boomslang and then you can do all your patches at the kitchen table, it took me about and hour to install the whole unit with map, EGT, SAFC and all. You can run it now without the O2 sensor just don't hook it up b/c it is a heated sensor and they get pretty hot.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's a good way to go using the harness instead of hacking your factory wiring. Then again, I hacked.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:12 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the fields type harnesses @ $99 shipped currently. If soldering, a butane solder gun is highly recommended.

We are also one of only 2 authorized Zeitronix dealers on evolutionm if anyone else is in need of the ZT2 or accessories.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:14 PM

why is the butane solder gun recommended instead of a regular ole soldering iron?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:20 PM
Account Disabled

No wait time for warm up, easier to control heat level, portable (no wires, can do it anywhere), It will activate the heatshrink on it's own and I can go on and on. They are only like $20 at radioshack and well worth it!
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lagcisco
I will be needing a safc aswell, should I buy that boomslang harness extension wire up the safc and datalogger into that instead of hacking my original harness?
this is a good idea, although if you're gonna do some hacking... might as well do all the hacking, might wanna go wtih fields and save a few bucks. but if you wanna hack less then boomslang is the way.

Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
Yes, get the boomslang and then you can do all your patches at the kitchen table, it took me about and hour to install the whole unit with map, EGT, SAFC and all. You can run it now without the O2 sensor just don't hook it up b/c it is a heated sensor and they get pretty hot.
question... i got my zeitronix used, how long is your map sensor wires suppose to be? and where did you T for boost for the map sensor?

Last edited by trinydex; Nov 9, 2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 03:49 PM

are fields and boomslang harness the same?

price is the only difference?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

for there normal harnesses they can be said to be the same however the boomslang harness usually talked about is their safc harness which already has the wires for safc done for you... so you don't use the wire harness that came with your safc.... you just plug the plug into the harness they already manufactured in for you.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
question... i got my zeitronix used, how long is your map sensor wires suppose to be? and where did you T for boost for the map sensor?
I extended my wires and kept the MAP sensor mounted on the injector wireing harness bundle. I t'd into the bov/wg line right at the manifold. All you need is three wires, red, black, and green (if Irememeber right), a gromit (I drilled a new hole in the firewall) and 1/4" plastic wire covering to protect the wires.

Last edited by 4ringturncoat; Nov 10, 2005 at 07:02 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 05:46 AM
Account Disabled

For those equipped with the factory gauge package, You can tap into the vac line behind the glove box as I did. It will prevent you from having to extend wires and keeps your $109 boost sensor out of the elements.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

awesome thanks

Quick Reply: how to install zeitronix zt2?