Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

piecing a stroker kit together..opinions please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
piecing a stroker kit together..opinions please

Planning on piece one together and buy the best parts...like Pauter rods and CP pistons? My goal is a 2.3 stroker that will help spool the GT35R. Im clueless when it comes to bore, compression etc.... I would assume the bigger the bore the better? What about Type / Overbore / Hone/ Compression?
Besides the pistons and rods what other stuff do I need to get so that I can just throw all the parts to my engine builder and let him to the rest like machine work etc...
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go the AMS route if you want the 2.3 Stroker Kit , but me personally I am waiting for the RNR review for there 2.4 Motor .
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, whoever told you CP pistons were good must have been smoking crack. They are horrible! Your car will sound like a diesel from the piston noise and I have seen 4 CP piston ring lands break on all 4 cylinders of an enigine at once.
Wiseco is making one of the nicest pistons for the Evo engine currently. And if you really want to go all out get thier 2816 forged pistons, good for 1500 HP. Of all the people at SEMA that I spoke to about pistons, Wiseco knew what they were talking about.
Mahle is also working on an Evo piston if you've ever heard of them, They do a lot of Nascar and domestic stuff but do know a lot about pistons also.

Also, another rod option is Carrillo rods. They also make a top notch rod.
Carillo Industires is a sister company of Wiseco.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
Planning on piece one together and buy the best parts...like Pauter rods and CP pistons? My goal is a 2.3 stroker that will help spool the GT35R. Im clueless when it comes to bore, compression etc.... I would assume the bigger the bore the better? What about Type / Overbore / Hone/ Compression?
Besides the pistons and rods what other stuff do I need to get so that I can just throw all the parts to my engine builder and let him to the rest like machine work etc...
Depending the mileage of your motor you may or may not need to hone the cylinders. Also no need to overbore unless your block needs it. Compression ratio seems like most pistons for the evo come in 9 to 1. To do the stoker kit on an evo you need a 4g64 crank and pistons for a stroker. The rods are stock length.

I also may have access to a 4g64 crank if you are interested. It's brand new it was installed in a block then removed but never been ran.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, whoever told you CP pistons were good must have been smoking crack. They are horrible! Your car will sound like a diesel from the piston noise and I have seen 4 CP piston ring lands break on all 4 cylinders of an enigine at once.
Wiseco is making one of the nicest pistons for the Evo engine currently. And if you really want to go all out get thier 2816 forged pistons, good for 1500 HP. Of all the people at SEMA that I spoke to about pistons, Wiseco knew what they were talking about.
Mahle is also working on an Evo piston if you've ever heard of them, They do a lot of Nascar and domestic stuff but do know a lot about pistons also.

Also, another rod option is Carrillo rods. They also make a top notch rod.
Carillo Industires is a sister company of Wiseco.
No offense, but CP pistons are good pistons. The Pankl group makes good stuff.

Wiseco is owned by JE, JE is a sister company of Perfect Bore, Carrillo, Chambon.

Carrillo rods are top notch, as are Arrow Precision and Dyers.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
If you're interested I'm selling the following:

A 4g64 100m Toda crank with 5,500 miles. It's been magnafluxed and is in perfect condition: $250.00

4 Pauter rods with 5,500 miles. Magnafluxed and in perfect condition: $350.00

A 4g64 Pauter/RNR racing knife edged crank, never installed and cost me $2000.00 new: $750.00

I decided to go back to a 2.0L which is why I have these parts available.

If you're looking for a 2.3L go with a 100mm crank. A compression ratio between 8.5:1 and 9:1 would be fine. Good luck!
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

I am going to stroke my motor and am going to do the following.

Crower crank (Stroke is a little bigger then 4g64 crank)
Crower rods (Maybe there titanium ones for light weight)
JE pistons ( with a .20 bore and stock compression or 9.0:1)
And everything is going to be coated and cyro treated.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shaun@SG
No offense, but CP pistons are good pistons. The Pankl group makes good stuff.

Wiseco is owned by JE, JE is a sister company of Perfect Bore, Carrillo, Chambon.

Carrillo rods are top notch, as are Arrow Precision and Dyers.
No offense taken. I just know what I have seen of CP as of late.
Wiseco used to have thier bad press also but they have really improved their products in the past few years.
What is ironic though is that there was about no one talking to CP at thier SEMA booth like everytime I walked by.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boost Freak

Sound awesome but here's a little advice:

The Crower billet crank sounds like an excellent option but you probably only need it if you plan on running huge power, 750+whp. The 4g64 crank seems to be holding up very well and will save you a fortune.

Crower rods are also excellent but do you really need titanium? If so, why?

JE pistons are very good pistons. Don't rule out lowering the compression below 9:1 as it will allow you to run more boost especially on lower octane fuel. 8.5:1 might be worth investigating.

No need to cryo treat a Crower crank, titanium rods, and /or JE pistons IMO. What do you mean by "coating?"

Good luck and I hope that you have access to some big buck$. It sounds like you plan to build quite a car.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boost Freak

I just checked your bio and noticed that you were born in 1990. That gives you plenty of time to save some money for your $20,000 engine.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

My dad owns a supra and we go to the meets and there very high horsepower supra's their. One guy that makes 1xxx something horsepower had cp pistons and they did not last at around 800 hp. that is probably enuff for Evo owners but if its going to break at 800 horsepower then they probably aren't going to last to long in a 600 horsepower Evo. He now runs JE pistons and has not had a problem and that's why I am going with them.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3240
I just checked your bio and noticed that you were born in 1990. That gives you plenty of time to save some money for your $20,000 engine.
Lol, I have been meaning to change that. I am 18 years old, lol. This is my account but my friend who is 16 comes on here and messes around. He has a account but they have not approved it. so that has his birthday not mine. Sorry about that.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

3240 knows a thing or 2 about parts that will hold up under a lot of power.
I want to know why you went back to 2.0? IS the project still alive?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, 3240's car is going to be badass. Cant wait to see the numbers on that thing.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my buddy is running cp pistons in his 10.30 @ 140 mph del sol. with over 50 passes on the engine the pistons are holding up good.

the power its currently at is 580-600 whp or so. i don't think cp pistons are junk. they are well proven in the sport compact market. we run them on our SFWD hondas all the time.

when pistons go bad its usually a sign of a bad tune. the only bad design piston i've seen is when manufacturers make the valve relief too deep and too close to the pistons outer circumference which makes it a weak spot.

people tell me that cp pistons is founded by ex je employees.

Quick Reply: piecing a stroker kit together..opinions please