Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RPS vs TILTON C/C

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've got the rps...the tilton wasnt out yet for the evo when i bought my clutch otherwise i may have spent the extra and gone with the tilton( only reason being i've never read any bad review about them)

but say what....no issues with the rps
Old Nov 12, 2005, 07:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Titlon is good stuff, RPS garbabge by design and the issues people have with it.
I use the tilton in my racecar, the 9.4 talon and have 0 issues with it. There simply is nothing better than titlon carbon carbon and it's totally streetable.

Sean
Old Nov 12, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

People with supra's that buy the rps clutch arent that happy. Some say its to extreme for street use
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Tilton over RPS all day long. Take it from someone who knows clutches. Thier patented design is the key. They aren't cheap, but it's the real deal.

...Or buy several of our clutches. I felt obligated to throw that in. Hey, I have to put food on the table too. ; )
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

I recommend tilton over rps too, but you might want to also consider ats. I have the carbon carbon twin plate and am very happy with it.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

I have the RPS twin carbon and think it is the Sh*T !! Grabs great ... a bit tough for everyday driving though ...
Old Nov 12, 2005, 08:11 PM

RPS Twin carbon carbon here! GT30R at 26psi plus 75hp of nitrous and holds like a charm, no slipping at all. Only issue is the rattling sound when clutch is engaged, other than that, it works perfect for me!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VTECH8TR
I don't know where you got your information from ,but RPS does charges $400.00-$500.00. Trust me i know as i personally installed 2 of these.
maybe I misread the thread headline. It states RPS vs. Tilton CC. I made the assumption that he was talking about the RPS carbon/carbon clutch as well as the Tilton carbon/carbon. And the wear surfaces for that particular RPS clutch are replaced free of charge for life.

Which RPS clutch are you talking about? If it's one of the Turboclutch series, yes you have to pay to rebuild them.

But why compare an RPS turboclutch to the Tilton carbon/carbon. Apples and oranges.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

i bought the rps.. $2800 unit.. but so far bad results.. it does nto slip so i have to launch into wheel spin. i guess i just have to figure it out.but it does drive pretty well and i can NLS with it pretty decently.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boost Freak
People with supra's that buy the rps clutch arent that happy. Some say its to extreme for street use
I totally disagree with this comment. I've owned several supras, all of which had some form of an RPS clutch in them. I did quite a bit of R&D work for RPS and their carbon clutches for supras. Actually my car did the work, I just went along for the ride. All of the RPS clutches I've used were very easy to drive, and not too grabby at all. The only clutch I've ever used that was "to extreme" for street use was the solid disc triple plate clutch from HKS. That thing was hard to drive.

I've never used a Tilton clutch, so I can't give a heads up comparsion, but I've never heard anyone compain about Tilton products.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:19 PM
ez
Evolving Member

Tilton of course. A very, very high percentage of the championship auto racing teams run either AP Racing or Tilton clutches. Tilton is still the large majority of that group I believe. It's very hard to say that anyone does it better than Tilton Engineering.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
I totally disagree with this comment. I've owned several supras, all of which had some form of an RPS clutch in them. I did quite a bit of R&D work for RPS and their carbon clutches for supras. Actually my car did the work, I just went along for the ride. All of the RPS clutches I've used were very easy to drive, and not too grabby at all. The only clutch I've ever used that was "to extreme" for street use was the solid disc triple plate clutch from HKS. That thing was hard to drive.

I've never used a Tilton clutch, so I can't give a heads up comparsion, but I've never heard anyone compain about Tilton products.
Sorry about that, Some people find it a "extreme" for the street. my father has a supra and I used to. I cant say from experience that this clutch is to "extreme", Just what some supra owners said. Maybe its more streetable then Tilton, But that's what I have used and its not bad at all. HKS is NOT GOOD for street use. I remember my dads friend wanted to stay loyal to hks and that was the only products he would buy. And that clutch was harsh.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 03:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wspy
Do you know what the pedal pressure/feel is with the Tilton c/c for the Evo8? I felt one in an is300 over at Toyomoto and damn near push my foot through the floor because it was so light and could hold 800ft/lbs+.
Anyone know the pedal pressure/feel of the Tilton c/c for Evo 8?!
Old Nov 13, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
my friend bought RPS 2disk C/C and killed it after 1000miles! Less that 1 month
His evo is absolutely STOCK!!!!!!!!! Its crazy!
I have 700+hp and killed RPS after 1000miles too!
After all RPS said its my fault!!! I have a DRAG VERSION

That is why i asked about TILTON....dont want the same situation as with RPS
I also have 720+hp evo8 and I just change my dual ATS clutch to tilton triple carbon not only because tilton it has the reputation but because· 7.25" 3-plate carbon/carbon clutch. Rated torque capacity: 840 lb-ft*to 1000 lb-ft* You will have an additional separator plate wear and provide long-term clutch life. Tilton always recommend adjustment after period of races so will give you a few more launches; but still you need to sent it after is wear out to tilton to rebuilt the same clutch for a lot less then what you would pay for it new! !!! My friend Geo at EvoStore it has pleanty info!! On tilton clutch click here http://store.evostore.com/tiraclforevo.html

“EvoStore” Tilton’s Carbon/Carbon is the absolute finest clutch package available for the EVO, benefiting from Tilton’s 17+ years of carbon racing clutch development. The 100% carbon matrix plates utilized in the clutch provide great drivability, have an extremely high heat capacity that enables the clutch to be slipped without overheating/warping and have a very low inertia for improved shifting and transmission synchro life. In addition, carbon clutches include two additional pressure plates that compensate for carbon plate wear and provide long-term clutch life.

Last edited by ProccoEVO; Nov 13, 2005 at 07:47 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:32 PM
RS2
Evolving Member

Any problems with the ATS ? Drag Racing ? because I was told that the Twin-Plate ATS is a no no for drag racing.

Originally Posted by ProccoEVO
I also have 720+hp evo8 and I just change my dual ATS clutch to tilton triple carbon not only because tilton it has the reputation but because· 7.25" 3-plate carbon/carbon clutch. Rated torque capacity: 840 lb-ft*to 1000 lb-ft* You will have an additional separator plate wear and provide long-term clutch life. Tilton always recommend adjustment after period of races so will give you a few more launches; but still you need to sent it after is wear out to tilton to rebuilt the same clutch for a lot less then what you would pay for it new! !!! My friend Geo at EvoStore it has pleanty info!! On tilton clutch click here http://store.evostore.com/tiraclforevo.html

“EvoStore” Tilton’s Carbon/Carbon is the absolute finest clutch package available for the EVO, benefiting from Tilton’s 17+ years of carbon racing clutch development. The 100% carbon matrix plates utilized in the clutch provide great drivability, have an extremely high heat capacity that enables the clutch to be slipped without overheating/warping and have a very low inertia for improved shifting and transmission synchro life. In addition, carbon clutches include two additional pressure plates that compensate for carbon plate wear and provide long-term clutch life.

Quick Reply: RPS vs TILTON C/C