Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Driving with a bad syncro???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteEv0boy
Some times when I shift to reverse, it grinds. Is the Synchro messed up? It grinds even when I dont step on the clutch, if I try to put in to reverse.
I'm pretty sure you are always going to grind if you don't push the clutch in when shifting into reverse.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

Take you car to the dealship, should be cover under warranty still but it's in the TSB.
Be cool with the tech who work on your car because he is the one who is going to find out about all your mods, so if you're cool with him, I doubt he will say anything to be service reps.

Good luck, I had my replace at 25K funny thing is that it happen RIGHT AFTER I install my mbc..
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:03 AM

Sometimes it doesnt go into reverse even when I step on the clutch all the way. I turn the car on then put it into reverse, it doesnt engage. I would have to put it back to neutral and then step on the clutch again to have it engage in reverse, with grinding noise.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whiteEv0boy
Sometimes it doesnt go into reverse even when I step on the clutch all the way. I turn the car on then put it into reverse, it doesnt engage. I would have to put it back to neutral and then step on the clutch again to have it engage in reverse, with grinding noise.
Next time try putting it into 1st and slightly engage the clutch to were you barely move forward, then try putting it into reverse. Should eliminate the grinding and go right into reverse.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone have any problems with the 1st to 2nd shift? Mine grinds almost everytime going into second but I have no problems going into 3rd or 5th.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GBEvo
Anyone have any problems with the 1st to 2nd shift? Mine grinds almost everytime going into second but I have no problems going into 3rd or 5th.
Exactly your problem... 1-2 is terrible, but 3-4,4-5,5-6 is all good.

I also find 3-2 is pretty bad and get gear grind as well.

It also seems if I do the 1-2 shift that the gear stick almost pops out of 1st gear... like it has a spring in it or something.

Anyone else notice any of this?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:21 PM

changing the fluid will only be a temp fix. I say change the fluid take it on the trip when you get back it will be grinding again and even if not there will be evidence of a bad sync so take it to the dealer and have them fix it along with reverse and ask them how much more it will be to have the rest of the syncs replaced at the sametime since the tranny will already be apart.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Just destroy it and rebuild it by TRE, I heard some dealers can't have it fixed very well and the problem comes back again after the fix. Time to upgrade your tranny!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

2nd gear grinds for me from time to time. sometimes when i shift from 2nd into neutal, it grinds like i'm not even on the clutch (embarassing when you're in the parking lot and someone is around. they're probably thinking i can't drive this evo). sometimes from 4th to 3rd gives me some grinding, but not as much as 2nd. i even changed the tranny fluid and was great for 1k miles and then it started again.