Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Driving with a bad syncro???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving with a bad syncro???

so i just got my car out of the shop and im pretty sure ive got a bad 5th gear syncro, cause everytime i shift into 5th no matter how soft or hard i get a small grind. but on monday im suppose to start a 6000 mile road trip. i REALLY need to know how much damage im doing by driving it with a bad syncro.

P.S. im pretty sure i also have a boost leak, but how do i check for that???
Old Nov 18, 2005, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You only damage the synchro while shifting not while driving in gear ... to check for boost leaks, goto evomoto.com ... they have a comprehensive write up ...
Old Nov 18, 2005, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

i know, im just wondering if the 5th gear grinding everytime i shift into it is gonna hurt my tranny over the long drive. even though most of its crusing.

edit: i know its bad for it in just wondering if its like "gonna need a new tranny" bad or like "50 bucks and a 20 minute install" bad

Last edited by Big Shooter; Nov 18, 2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

how many miles do you have, if less than 60k it will be under warranty. i have driven my eclipse and vr4 with bad sychro's, the eclipse i have put almost 6k on and now in the mornings 2nd is near non existant untill the car warms up. the vr4 is just a freaking nite mare, it has 55k on it and already has had 5 transmission put in it, three new units and two rebuilt units. the cursed thing eats the transmissions like crazy to the point it has become a "10k" service. but driving with bad sychros shouldnt leave you on the side of the road out of the blue, it will just get harder and harder to go into gear over time.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Yes it is going to hurt your tranny in the long run as in VERY EXPENSIVE ... you can drive it around until it dies or just take it to the dealership and have them fix it under warranty when you get a change ... unfortunately, to get to a synchro they have to tear apart the tranny ...
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:29 PM
Former Vendor

either you will get a ton of little peices in there and cause damage to other gears, or worst case get locked out of the gear.. but my only sugg. if not getting it fixed, is change the fluid and learn where the gear falls into place and shift then.. as if you wernt using a clutch.. shift slow and perfect..
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

This is not a simple 20 buck installation, but should and will be covered under warranty if extensive modifications have not been performed, but if clutch is going out good time to go ahead and get it put in as well.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

well my clutch already puked and i have an act street disk in there now. so will they still cover it? what rpm are we talkin about to shift it where it falls in place??
Old Nov 18, 2005, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

They may not cover it if you have an ACT but I would ask if I were you. If it grinds everytime you shift you may want to do the following to save your synchro from further damage:
1. Change your tranny fluid to Pennzoil Synchromesh or BG synchroshift
2. Shift into 5 at low rpms
3. Shift very slowly and smoothly ...

Goodluck
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
They may not cover it if you have an ACT but I would ask if I were you. If it grinds everytime you shift you may want to do the following to save your synchro from further damage:
1. Change your tranny fluid to Pennzoil Synchromesh or BG synchroshift
2. Shift into 5 at low rpms
3. Shift very slowly and smoothly ...

Goodluck
I follow steps 2 and 3 to avoid my 5th gear grind

haven't tried changing the tranny fluid but it seems like it could be worth a try.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:23 PM

Some times when I shift to reverse, it grinds. Is the Synchro messed up? It grinds even when I dont step on the clutch, if I try to put in to reverse.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

I get a grind when shifting into 5th from a high RPM, I can't wait to get it fixed at the dealership.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ev08buoy
I follow steps 2 and 3 to avoid my 5th gear grind

haven't tried changing the tranny fluid but it seems like it could be worth a try.
Also try double clutching when shifting this will help with the grind. you do this by pushing in the clutch and pulling it out of gear then let the clutcth out. then push the clutch back in and shift into 5th.. i hope that made sense.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Definitely get it checked before your trip, I was experiencing the same thing except the 5th gear grind was only occasional. Now 5th gear and reverse on my 03 are toast. It would shift into the 5th gear position but would just rev like it was in neutral when I gave it some gas, same with reverse. Mitsu said the synchros were toast and one of the pins that holds the shift cables snapped. They are replacing the tranny under factory warranty at no cost to me regardless of all the obvious mods. They said as long as the clutch and flywheel were stock they would honor the warranty.

Quick Reply: Driving with a bad syncro???