Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much will a ported head give me?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much will a ported head give me?

Hi I have been thinking about getting everything on the car ported; head, tb, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and the 02 housing.

I have searched and couldnt find any good info. Would this be worth 4-5 mph in the quarter? If its worth 40 to 50rwhp I would do it.

Id like to max out the stock turbo and see how close I can get to the tens, which I know has been done before. But I would like to do it too

And would Buschur be the ones to do this?

Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porting is a good idea, the more air in and out the more power you can make, some gains can be made, but I think 50 hp is kind of asking a lot, I maybe be wrong here,
and yes I would recommend buschur like you said, they have many years experience behind them with the 4g63 motor,
Cylinder head porting is best left to experts instead of do-it-yourself, as it is very easy to actually lose air flow by incorrectly porting a cylinder head.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 06:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you should consider getting your combustion chambers polished and a simple bowl blend. this will reduce knock.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evilution VIII
Porting is a good idea, the more air in and out the more power you can make, some gains can be made, but I think 50 hp is kind of asking a lot, I maybe be wrong here,
and yes I would recommend buschur like you said, they have many years experience behind them with the 4g63 motor,
Cylinder head porting is best left to experts instead of do-it-yourself, as it is very easy to actually lose air flow by incorrectly porting a cylinder head.
The more air in and out is true to a certain extent..If you take too much out..you begin to lose..
The following users liked this post:
evotein10 (Mar 18, 2021)
Old Nov 21, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

I had my headwork done by Forrester Racing Heads. Dale has done many DSM heads and several evo heads as well. I haven't been to the dyno so I have no quantitative results yet, but I am satisfied with the results. I would reccomend him.

FWIW, head porting is one of those things that, the more mods you already have, the more difference it will make.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
The more air in and out is true to a certain extent..If you take too much out..you begin to lose..
you are correct, I guess what I meant by that is looking at the overall scope of the engine and not just the cylinder head itself.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

I have everything ported and polished (+1mm SS vales and everything).
Not as big of gains with stock turbo, maybe 20hp. But I'm planning for the future.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

I remember reading a post from David at Buschur saying the gains would be/were minimal with the stock turbo. Definitely not 40 - 50 HP.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

10 HP on stock turbo. More on bigger turbos. Stock heads flow good enough for stck turbo.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mikiblueeyes
10 HP on stock turbo. More on bigger turbos. Stock heads flow good enough for stck turbo.
10hp doesnt seem to great for $2500
Old Nov 22, 2005, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

I would have to guess it depends a bit on the port job, but in my car the return with a stock turbo and 10.5 hotside was about 20 whp on a Mustang that reads like the one used by Buschur Racing. It pushed my car from about 290 whp to about 310 whp.

The port job on my head was pretty radical - we needed to re-fab both the intake gasket and the intake manifold to match the changes to the intake runners on the head. The shop that I used also used a flow bench to monitor and test their changes. I also had 1 mm larger valves added at the same time.

For a daily driver, I would probably skip porting the head. To see maximum advantage for the money you would eventually want to follow up the porting with at least a larger turbo. Depending on the port job you may loose some bottom end torque as well; that is what happened with my car. I was expecting it so wasn't suprised when it happened.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

^ Yea you will lose low end with a port job. This is because you increase the volume of flow of the head. Boost does not build as fast because there is less resistance to flow, which is good because it means you have a better VE, but at the same time since it will take slightly longer to build boost you will have a higher peak torque. Remember all boost is is resistance to flow.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by rACerS
10hp doesnt seem to great for $2500
Having a ported head will enhance future mods done to the car like others have been saying. This is very true when using aftermarket cams.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, I suppose I should add that I was already running some big cams - roughly about the same as HKS 280s.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
You didn't search well enough.

With a BR440 turbo kit running on race gas, BR found that adding a ported head upped the power by about 20 whp when the car was already at the 420ish whp level on high boost. With the stock turbo, ported intake, ported exhaust manifold, ported throttle body, 280 cams, other Stg 4 mods, etc., the white 04 RS made 393 whp on pump. Adding a ported head did not increase power at all. (These are numbers from BR's old Dynojet, BTW).

So, I think you'd be wasting your money to port the head considering that you appear to be already set on the stock turbo.

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Nov 23, 2005 at 09:01 AM. Reason: correction: BR RS didn't have the 20G at that point

Quick Reply: How much will a ported head give me?