Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

need help guys...ASAP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2005, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
need help guys...ASAP

well i drove to my girlfriends today but almost didnt make it. about 2 weeks ago i was driving home and my car just quit and wouldnt start ...the rpm needle just "floated"... turns out it was the engine fuse was blown. This fuse is just a 20 amp fuse found under the hood in the compartment. Thing is... since that went the one time 2 weeks ago, it happened 5 TIMES on the way to my girlfriends house and i blew 20, 25, and even 30 amp fuses in the same engine fuse spot. ( i know i know its not good to put much higher amp fuses in but i was stranded and needed to get here.) this engine fuse spot is #8 i believe.

Anyone know of any typical electrical problems that make this fuse continously blow? im so far in the middle of nowhere PA that i wont be able to diagnose this problem without some major diagnostic help.

The only thing i noticed was after i blew the 30 amp fuse, i let my car cool down pretty much all the way and then put back in a 20 amp fuse and drove the car for 50 miles and made it to my gf's house. but before that i would blow them either 1 mile or 15 miles apart.

and before someone says it..lol...i'm going to do a search tomorrow(gf has 56k and its 12:00 already), but i need to try to figure this out by friday as ill be driving again.

Thanks guys!!
Old Nov 23, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check your grounds...i'm local if you need a hand, what color are you?

-Adam
Old Nov 23, 2005, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamJ39
check your grounds...i'm local if you need a hand, what color are you?

-Adam

ummm, you might want to think about rephrasing that statement, I've been through so much sensitivity training it's pathetic.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 09:56 PM

Actually, check your positive wire for that fuse to see if it's grounding out. That's what it sounds like.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
ummm, you might want to think about rephrasing that statement, I've been through so much sensitivity training it's pathetic.
lol
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

can you be more specific. which 30 amp fuse. what usually cause a fuse to go is that something is shorting out causing the amps to go way up causing the fuse to blow. if you tell me which one I could help research what could be the probable cause. also a loose connection could also cause the fuse the short out. I'll try to help but need more info on which fuse blows. pics are good too
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fuse blowing means that sumptin aint right with your electronics. Was there something you did to the car right before problems.

May also be a sign that your girlfriend may carry some sort of static charge since it happens every time you pay her a visit. Try rubbing her down with fabric softener.

Seriously, something in the blown fuse circuit is pulling too much current and you need to find it.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:28 AM

When you blow a fuse it means that the circuit is grounding before the load. Do a visual inspection of you harness from the fuse box and make sure no metal is rubbing against it. Or the load is pulling too much amperage, but i kinda doubt that.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

like 1.5 hours into my trip i blew the 20 amp engine control fuse located in the engine compartment fuse panel. i replaced it with a 20 amp fuse ( because i had this problem 2 weeeks before but had to pay a ton of money for them to just find the fuse blew.) about 2 miles down the road i blew that 20. so to get to a gas station i threw a 30 amp fuse in that 20 amp fuse slot to get me there where i got 20s , 25s, and 30s. i replaced the 30 amp fuse i temporary used with a 25 because i had already blown beucase i didnt wnat to over load something else. about 50 miles away i blew that 25 and tried to replace it with another 25, but that one blew right when i tried tostart my car again...so i used another 25 amp fuse and that blew when i tried to start it again too. i put a 30 amp fuse in to try to get me the remaining 45 miles of my trip but that blew like another 1 mile down the road. So i called to get picked up and waited for like an hour...in that time i filled my intercooler with water because it was out from the sprayer going off when my fuse blew each time. i unhooked my car amp and my boost controller and when the car was cold i put in a 20 amp fuse and prayed...then my car made it to where i had to go. i took it easy on it and didnt take any gear over 3000 rpm and made it home...THANK GOD!!

Any other suggestions to check?...it seems to me something may happen when the car is hot.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

and Adam...thanks for the offer, i'll take you up on it when i get home on sunday....thats the plan
Old Nov 24, 2005, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should never ever step up in fuse size. You will toast the circuit B4 the fuse. 20amp fuse only
Old Nov 24, 2005, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

well i think i fixed it...the o2 sensor wires were rubbing on the exhaust shield on the cat delete pipe. Turns out that is the most common short when the engine control fuse blows as i found out when i was checking the forums.

going to NY tomorrow so hopefully its ok....thanks for all the help guys
Old Nov 24, 2005, 05:53 PM

glad you found your problem so fast.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
yea yea, i ment what color is your car...just pm me if you ever need anything, all us frederick evo's are real close, so whenever we see a new one we arnt strangers...anyhow...

-Adam