Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ECU bleeding off boost cause of colder air?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2005, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU bleeding off boost cause of colder air?

First off the vehicle is an 05. Only mod of interest is a boost gauge, which I installed. My boost gauge usually spikes to 20-21psi and dropping to 16-17psi.

Over the past couple of weeks, as the temps have dropped, I've noticed the car feeling more and more sluggish.

At first I thought the car was pulling timing, but try as I may I can't seem to detect any knock going on. Then I started keeping track of my boost more often and it seems to spike to 20psi and then dropping to 15-16psi, but as I usually drive in traffic I haven't had much road to get a clear look.

Finally got a chance today to make a couple of high boost runs just to make sure and the results are a little mixed...18deg ambient temp, Humidity @ 32%, Windchill 2 deg, car fully warmed up.

1st run
spikes 20psi drops to 15psi then wavers back up to 16-17psi

2nd run
spikes to 18-19psi then drops to 15psi and holds there

3rd run
spikes to 18-19psi then drops to 15psi, climbs to 16psi, back down to 15psi, back up to 16psi and holds (my gauge never wavered like this before)

What's going on?!?!?! Are the colder temps causing the ECU to pull timing? Bleeding boost?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

no, I dont think your ECU is pulling timing, seems like you may have a boost leak somewhere, wether it be the BOV or your IC piping. I would do a leak test and try to figure it out that way. I say your stock BOV "shouldn't" be leaking at that psi, but you never know. mine was leaking as early as 6 psi or so. check your connections, I also had a leak in the IC piping from the factory, tightened down the clamp and all was good.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Its a boost leak.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Could just be normal taper. Is this the first time you've paid attention to your boost? If you add a boost controller and this still happens then you might have a boost leak, but if you don't have any mods except a boost gauge then it's probably just the normal boost taper the car comes with stock. Does it feel any different driving? Notice any loss in power?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by en1gma19
Could just be normal taper. Is this the first time you've paid attention to your boost? If you add a boost controller and this still happens then you might have a boost leak, but if you don't have any mods except a boost gauge then it's probably just the normal boost taper the car comes with stock. Does it feel any different driving? Notice any loss in power?

Boost float is not normal and indicative of a boost leak.