Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Revolver Cam Test! HKS who?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't have duration @ 1mm specs for the JUN 264s, but the specs for the 272s imply the 264s probably give around 220-225deg @ 1mm, which is comparable to an HKS 280.

As far as JUN 272 vs. Revolver, the specs indicate that both are best suited to applications using larger turbos and ported heads. The longer effective duration of the JUN 272 indicates it should have an edge where all-out applications that use HUGE turbos and high rpm are concerned, while the Revolvers are probably best suited for the most common GT series (GT3076R and 35R).
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ok well i will be useing a stock unported head. jun 272 cams and a 50trim turbo kit. but the turbo kit will be last. so how do you think these cams will do on stock turbo with meth as the only thing i dont have is the cams. meth is not installed yet but its ready to go in and will go in when i get the jun 272's. o and i will be useing the stock ecu
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

FYI: Neither of the JUN cams should be used with the factory valvesprings, period. I am assuming you are aware of this and will be installing their valvesprings simultaneously.

A 50 trim really isn't enough turbo to make power in the rpm ranges the JUN 272s are designed to use. The JUN 264s would appear to be a better choice given your medium-sized turbo and stock ECU. Additionally, the very long duration of the 272s won't make tuning the idle easy.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
FYI: Neither of the JUN cams should be used with the factory valvesprings, period. I am assuming you are aware of this and will be installing their valvesprings simultaneously.

A 50 trim really isn't enough turbo to make power in the rpm ranges the JUN 272s are designed to use. The JUN 264s would appear to be a better choice given your medium-sized turbo and stock ECU. Additionally, the very long duration of the 272s won't make tuning the idle easy.
yes i am aware i need to use valvesprings and whatnot. i was just talking cam to cam. sorry about that.

idle i could care less about. as long as it dont stall im ok. it could ilde at 100rpm for all i care. lol max power is what im looking for. so you feel the 264/264 setup would make more power then the 272/272 setup.

and if you say the 264's then how do you feel they compare to the revolver cam's? what set would be best for my kind of setup. thanks for your good addvice and input on this hole thread

Last edited by EvoDan2004; Dec 31, 2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since Im exactly having the same setup as evodan I will just read the information, but my choices for now are either Revolvers or JUN 264's.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Randy
Since Im exactly having the same setup as evodan I will just read the information, but my choices for now are either Revolvers or JUN 264's.
yea i was going for jun 272 or revolver. but from what ted is saying if im reading it right is the jun 264 cams are closer to the revolvers then the 272's are. so now im looking into 264 or revolver. idle and whatnot means nothing to me. i can sound like **** for all i care as long as it makes max power from the parts i got im happy. i do love a bumpy idle though.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

I noticed Ted B talking about cam gear settings for revolvers. If your installing revolvers because you want the torque and spoolup they offer(and believe me its great), dont bother with cam gears. I installed them with my revolvers and tuned them at about a dozen different positions and none gained spool. Revolver really did their homework with these cams and must have done quite a bit of R&D because they absolutely achieved what they wanted, great midrange punch and great spoolup. There was some topend to be gained and a little smoother idle but these were both at the cost of midrange and spool. I have these with a 2.3 35r setup and its a great combo. I'll be doing another phase of mods this winter(hopefully the final phase ) and plan on using a degree wheel and dial indicator to gather some hard specs for the revolvers.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:01 PM
EvoM Guru

The Revolver set has more lift than either JUN set, but headflow data I have from two different sources shows that a stock head can't use the extra lift - it'll just be harder on the valvetrain.

Aside from that and LC differences that likely give the JUN 264s a little bit better idle, the Revolver and JUN 264s appear to be more similar than different where a stock head is concerned, and I'd bet they perform similarly as well.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

that helps alot thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Now this makes it interesting, the only question would be Ted, and this is in my case, which one (264 Jun's or the Revolvers) will work better on a flashed ECU? And as far as midrange and spoolup Im a Road Racer so for me those are going to be extremely good, but I wonder about the torque, which the Revolvers seem to shine.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
The Revolver set has more lift than either JUN set, but headflow data I have from two different sources shows that a stock head can't use the extra lift - it'll just be harder on the valvetrain.

Aside from that and LC differences that likely give the JUN 264s a little bit better idle, the Revolver and JUN 264s appear to be more similar than different where a stock head is concerned, and I'd bet they perform similarly as well.
maby im miss understanding part of this. but your saying the jun cams and revolver cams are to much for the stock valvetrain. this i know. i would be replcing them with whatever jun or revolver recommends and gives me with the cams. now with that aside what do you think. or am i miss reading something.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Now this makes it interesting, the only question would be Ted, and this is in my case, which one (264 Jun's or the Revolvers) will work better on a flashed ECU? And as far as midrange and spoolup Im a Road Racer so for me those are going to be extremely good, but I wonder about the torque, which the Revolvers seem to shine.

see now im a drag racer and highway puller. i need the right cam for drag racing and highway pulling. all mid to high rpm's. but i would still like to make some real nice torque though
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Again, assuming the effective duration of the JUN 264 is comparable to the Revolver (and I believe it is), but given their slightly wider LSA (112.5 vs 110), the JUNs should idle perhaps slightly better than the Revolvers, which makes things a little easier with a stock ECU.

The improvement in spool characteristics and thus midrange torque delivered by both the Revolvers and JUNs I attribute to their more aggressive ramp profiles.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by evodan2004
see now im a drag racer and highway puller. i need the right cam for drag racing and highway pulling. all mid to high rpm's. but i would still like to make some real nice torque though

And you will need to be certain that you do get the upgraded valvesprings as part of the cam set. This will increase the price, but is absolutely necessary.

As for drag racing and highway pulling, again, the turbo is going to be the limiting factor, not the cams. The JUN 264s are more aggressive than the HKS 280s I'm presently using, and I'm not exactly suffering from a lack of highway power.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

So if the JUN 264's are more agressive than the HKS 280 and will net more power, will idle somewhat better then JUN 264's is the way to go, I should see some outstanding gains from my HKS 272's.

What you think Ted?

Quick Reply: Revolver Cam Test! HKS who?