Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Revolver Cam Test! HKS who?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2005, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by en1gma19
So the duration @1mm of the Revolver is classified information? Or are they just waiting to release it?

While these gains are nothing short of amazing, it should be noted that they would most likely be substantially reduced without the extensive headwork that timzcat has done.

Nevertheless, these look like a much better choice than the HKS, congrats on the awesome numbers.
well you can't run them without extensive headwork... the 11.4 lift is gonna make your stock springs/valves float like a boat.

Originally Posted by Zeus
They sell them as a kit with the springs/retainers... pricing used to be pretty steep compared to HKS. However, they have revised their pricing structure, and they will be right there with current HKS cams pricing if including a spring/retainer set. I'm thinking of a group buy on these, but am awaiting until after the "holiday weekend" to talk with Revolver more about it.
this is very pleasing to hear

it's great to see that these cams somehow make the boost taper power taper go away, might be that they're just timed perfectly to put that bump in power right where the boost falls off but then in that case the gains down low can't be ignored etiher. very very nice.

how much additional labor is it to get the springs and retainers done while doing the cams?

Last edited by trinydex; Nov 25, 2005 at 02:35 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys wanna know what else is pleasing to hear the pricing on the cams Cost: $902
Shipping: $19.95 ............ @_@ wtf ! damn ! i thought you said only a lil bit more than HKS cams thats like $300 + more -__-.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
armandozx,

Read folks, read! I said "...they will be right there with current HKS cams pricing if including a spring/retainer set..."

trinydex,

Extensive head work is not needed... matter of fact, I don't recall that they were designed for anything other than a bone stock head less the cams/springs/retainers.

Back on topic,

The graphs are very interesting... nice not to have to "rob Peter to pay Paul" is it not? I've had them on my own "to do list" for quiet some time. I've just not had the time, or loose funds to do it with everything else I'm involved in. It will, of course be nice to get some OE head graphs up to appease the minions...

Last edited by Zeus; Nov 25, 2005 at 07:39 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
armandozx,

Read folks, read! I said "...they will be right there with current HKS cams pricing if including a spring/retainer set..."

trinydex,

Extensive head work is not needed... matter of fact, I don't recall that they were designed for anything other than a bone stock head less the cams/springs/retainers.

Back on topic,

The graphs are very interesting... nice not to have to "rob Peter to pay Paul" is it not? I've had them on my own "to do list" for quiet some time. I've just not had the time, or loose funds to do it with everything else I'm involved in. It will, of course be nice to get some OE head graphs up to appease the minions...
k sorry, my slip i just meant that you can't run it on a stock valve spring setup. how extensive that is, i'm actually not quite sure of. which is why i asked how much extra labor is it to put in the springs and retainers with cams.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Im loving my revolver cams with my ATP 3037 turbo kit. A little bumpy on the idle (stock ecu with Dyno Flash). but the car pulls to 8000rpms and holds 28psi all the way to 8k.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to bring up the old subject, but Revolver previously reported that the stock retainers hit the valve seals slightly with the HKS cams. I was the first one to disagree with this but then after I actually did all the measurements myself I had to agree with them. There is not enough clearance with the stock retainers design.

To answer the question on install labor, I have done this myself and charged $500 in labor. That should pretty much be going rate for something like this if you know what you are doing.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 08:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You would have to get with your mechanic on install as the springs/retainers can be a real pita without the proper type valve spring tool. I currently don't do them as the universal Snap On tool is not adequate, (read financially viable) for this job.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 08:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by timzcat
Not to bring up the old subject, but Revolver previously reported that the stock retainers hit the valve seals slightly with the HKS cams. I was the first one to disagree with this but then after I actually did all the measurements myself I had to agree with them. There is not enough clearance with the stock retainers design.
Yes, when I installed my Revolver springs/retainers, there were noticeable wear "rings" from the retainer to seal contact (OE set/HKS 272 cams). However, since no one has reported a catastrophic failure do to this, everyone seems to think it is "ok". Not acceptable to me personally. However, I've had customers running around on the OE set for years now, seemingly without issue. I have voiced my concerns about early valve seal failure.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

You would have to get with your mechanic on install as the springs/retainers can be a real pita without the proper type valve spring tool. I currently don't do them as the universal Snap On tool is not adequate, (read financially viable) for this job.
This makes it more viable http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sp91400.html
I used this tool and although it's alignment is over the spring is not dead on it is very good. Downside is you have to remove cam cap dowels to use it so you will have to replace 4 of them.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, when I installed my Revolver springs/retainers, there were noticeable wear "rings" from the retainer to seal contact (OE set/HKS 272 cams). However, since no one has reported a catastrophic failure do to this, everyone seems to think it is "ok". Not acceptable to me personally. However, I've had customers running around on the OE set for years now, seemingly without issue. I have voiced my concerns about early valve seal failure.
What is interesting about this is, I would love to get my hands on a car with stock springs and retainers and HKS cams with some miles on it. I'd like to measure guide height to see if it ultimately is not just moving the guide down in the head a little bit to create the needed clearance.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 08:45 AM

Nice #s
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by timzcat
This makes it more viable http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sp91400.html
I used this tool and although it's alignment is over the spring is not dead on it is very good. Downside is you have to remove cam cap dowels to use it so you will have to replace 4 of them.
Actually that is the tool I didn't like...

Also, very interesting thought on the guides... however, I'd think that would be a bit radical for the amount of wear I've seen.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Good job Tim, I'm glad it seems to have worked out well for you.

A few notes for the masses:

(1) Unless the Revolver cam specs are posted (advertised duration doesn't mean much), we don't know if these cams are actually more comparable to HKS 280 specs. Lack of idle vacuum could be a clue.

(2) I've witnessed similar results just from using different cam timing (cam gears) with the same set of cams, so we would need to know more about the lobe centerlines and such. Just swapping in a set of cams with otherwise identical specs aside from lobe centerlines has been demonstrated to make 20+whp difference, due to cam timing alone.

(3) It would be good to see comparisons made with a stock head, simply because the results could be markedly different, and the vast majority of people who swap in different cams will never fool with head porting.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Good points, Ted.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ted B,

With cam gears alone, you have seen gains like these completely across the board from 2500rpm to 7200rpm giving up power no where? I'd to see...

I agree it will be nice to see OE head results...

Quick Reply: Revolver Cam Test! HKS who?