Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

10.5 hotside porting?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VTECH8TR
Well said

Are you joking? If Buschur sold him the piece i HIGHLY disagree that he will loose spoolup. Dave does ALOT of R&D on a dyno to sell parts. Trust me he knows what works and what doesn't.

no, I'm not joking. What's the purpose of the ported 10.5 hotside? Is it to run hihger than stock boost on race gas for top end power and better traps? If so, I'd be willing to bet a sacrifice in spool would be well worth gains up top, and I'd bet Dave B. himself would agree with this statement. Almost like saying going to a bigger turbo isn't worth the power because you get slower spool. But you can't make a blanket statement that you can gain top end power without losing spool like you're trying to do here. Depends on the severity of the port job. If it's a simple port matching, ok, but if it's a full port job that removes a lot of material and opens up the exhaust housing even further, you WILL lose spool. How much, I don't know, that's why I asked the question in the first place.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
David,

Yet people post this type drivel. If you look at soon2bevo's reponse, he doesn't know how, but he's positive there is a gain is akin to saying you get better spool up with a larger turbine housing. I'm just looking for proof to know if it's a good mod or not. I might actually do it if it is a good mod. Not saying anyone is wrong, just asking for prove. And yes, when I said too big on the exhaust side, I meant the turbine housing.
Maybe you took my response the wrong way. I meant I did not know EXACTLY what gain you would get... 3whp... 7whp? I dont know. I do know, like DB said, you cant go too big of an exhaust and porting CERTAINLY will NOT hurt anything.

If you were referring to it helping spool-up... I dont know, my comment was not directed at spool, just top-end.

I, unlike too many people on the boards, will say "I dont know" rather than making a claim of what it does even though I have no idea.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Maybe you took my response the wrong way. I meant I did not know EXACTLY what gain you would get... 3whp... 7whp? I dont know. I do know, like DB said, you cant go too big of an exhaust and porting CERTAINLY will NOT hurt anything.

If you were referring to it helping spool-up... I dont know, my comment was not directed at spool, just top-end.

I, unlike too many people on the boards, will say "I dont know" rather than making a claim of what it does even though I have no idea.
yes, I think I understood what you meant the first time. Also, please don't misunderstand my post... I wasn't calling your post "drivel", the drivel was in reference to the constant posts about how a 10.5 helped improve spool up compared to the 9.8. I should have separated those comments by a paragraph break to help with clarity.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
yes, I think I understood what you meant the first time. Also, please don't misunderstand my post... I wasn't calling your post "drivel", the drivel was in reference to the constant posts about how a 10.5 helped improve spool up compared to the 9.8. I should have separated those comments by a paragraph break to help with clarity.
lol No offense taken. Anyone who says the 10.5 helps spool is wrong. Thing is, it will hurt spool so negligibily I dont think it can even be seen on a dyno let alone felt. And with gains of 10-15whp or so its def a great mod. Porting is should only help top end and spool, theoretically!!!!
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

I ported my 9.8 and it seemed to help a little on the top end of things.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
There isn't a way to port a 9.8 housing to make it into a 10.5 housing. I hope you weren't actually told that by a shop.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

porting/coating it can only help and its not that much more expensive so why not?
Old Nov 30, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Don't want to argue with the Pros here, but with my set up 272i/264e & 10.5 Hotside, I definitely noticed more responsiveness both before boost (just driving around parking lots or on slow streets) and boost building at lower RPM's. Totally counter-intuitive I know. I was prepared for the opposite with hopefully some upper end gains

There was also an issue of a poorly shaped Gasket on the Turbo Ex Housing side of the Hotside. It was actually burnt from hanging over the edge - From the Factory !!!

may be it all just added up on the good side for me (for once) but the difference was immediately noticable.

I was expecting a little more of a laggy response and got the opposite.

Don't know about the why's of it, but it really pulled my mod's together in a nice way.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
nirevo,

You won't be argueing with me as I am in agreement with you. The EVO does respond extremely well to the cams and 10.5 hotside.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
"You won't be argueing with me as I am in agreement with you. The EVO does respond extremely well to the cams and 10.5 hotside."

David Buschur
But at about 270 - 320 whp range (cam'd, stock ecu, w/t or w/o alcohol), how well does the evo respond to aftermarket O2 housing, manif tubes, and the porting various components located between the head and DP. Not as significant of response to say a 9.8 to 10.5 upgrade I would assume, correct?
Old Dec 1, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
nirevo,

You won't be argueing with me as I am in agreement with you. The EVO does respond extremely well to the cams and 10.5 hotside.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
David, It wasn't a thinly veiled bank shot at you or anything (although I DEFINITELY consider you one of the pros :-)

It was directed more at trying to carefully counterpoint some of the comments that seemed to be saying "you'll notice slower spool up with better top end".

Forgive the repetition here, but I was really blown away at the Hotside mod. My car still awaiting a good tune, having recently gone back to 272 on the intake side, was characteristically more laggy on the bottom but a speeding bullet up top :-).

I really expected to exacerbate the situation with the HS mod, thinking "now I'll really need that tune." I was even ready to start trying different cam gear settings to try and help things out (from -2 -2)... but from the first time I fired it up I was in love with the mod. Not saying that with some cam adjustments and tuning it couldn't have been better, but it was a great place to start from.

Absolutley one of the best low priced mods for an 03-04 IMHO.

So in retrospect, I should have said, It improved my particular set up's spool characteristics.
That would be more accurate and more clear.

Unfortunately the car got hit pretty bad only a few weeks after I completed the HS install. It's still in the body & frame shop and will likely be there till the end of Dec.

BTW, have you ever seen the gasket issue that I described between the HS and the 02 housings, with it hanging over part of the opening?

It was actually manufactured incorrectly or they used one from a slightly different design. You can see the burned area on the gasket, and I held it to the 02 housing and confirmed the descrepancy.

What-up with that ???