Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

10.5 hotside porting?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
10.5 hotside porting?

i have an 03 evo witch has the 9.8 hotside. i got a 10.5 hot side and wondering if i should port it. will i notice any difference as in power, spool up or what. pros and cons of doing a port job on a 10.5 hotside. or is it not worth it. my car will have alot of other mods.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

sorry for the duble post can a mod delete the other 1 thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

anyone?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I asked the same question a while back on the Buschur forums and never got an answer. I'm assuming that there is a benefit to porting the 10.5 hotside, because Buschur does it on his BR350 packages.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

i gess i could call and ask
Old Nov 29, 2005, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much of a gain, I dont know, howevr I am positive there is one. Its going to allow the exhausts to get out of there even faster and if ported, the rough casting wont be there either. I just got a Buchur ported 10.5 b/c I needed a core to get coated, so I said, why not get the ported one?

Good choice I made!
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
How much of a gain, I dont know, howevr I am positive there is one. Its going to allow the exhausts to get out of there even faster and if ported, the rough casting wont be there either. I just got a Buchur ported 10.5 b/c I needed a core to get coated, so I said, why not get the ported one?

Good choice I made!
I'm thinking of doing the same. How much did it run you?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I bought a brand new ported 10.5 from Buschur for $300. Coating is $55 from Performance Coatings... theyve done all my ceramic coating so far. You can buy it coated and ported from Buschur for like 375 I think.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Good choice I made!

There is such a thing as going too big on the exhaust side, where you lose spoolup with no real top end gain. How are you positive there was a gain up top?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
There is such a thing as going too big on the exhaust side, where you lose spoolup with no real top end gain. How are you positive there was a gain up top?
Yeah well going too big certainly doesnt apply here. How am I positive? Well I didnt even install mine yet but one of the most respectable guys in the industry highly reccomends it (Buschur) and so does Dynoflash, and its relatively cheap to have done or do yourself.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

How am I positive? Well I didnt even install mine yet but one of the most respectable guys in the industry highly reccomends it (Buschur)
Well said

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
Are you joking? If Buschur sold him the piece i HIGHLY disagree that he will loose spoolup. Dave does ALOT of R&D on a dyno to sell parts. Trust me he knows what works and what doesn't.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
doubleugly 01,

Going to big on the exhaust of a turbo car does not exist. Going too big on a turbine housing does but in this case we are talking about a port job that does nothing but further improve flow and spool up.

The 9.8 and 10.5 housings are both very nice. There is room for improvement on both though. Just take the gaskets that go on each side and hold them up to the housings. You'll see for yourself that there is material to be removed. We blend all this in and then do a final 120 grit polish on the housings.

Ceramic coating keeps the heat in where it belongs which further helps spool up and keeps engine bay temps down. For me, honestly, the ceramic coating keeps the parts looking great with that stupid vent right over the turbo they rust extremely fast from water getting on them.

We charge $300 for a brand new 10.5 housing, porting is $50 on a new housing and ceramic coating is $100. We are using a new company I found that is doing an outstanding job for us. The coating is beautiful, high luster silver, almost looks chrome. It is holding up better than any of the other companies we have used in the past. Shipping is also much less for us so we were able to cut the retail price down by almost half.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

i ported my 9.8 and it basically became a 10.5 i think it is worth the 60$ that slowboy racing charges for porting it check them out slowboyracing.com, they will answer any questions
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for clearing that up for us David. I'll be sending in my O2 housing and exhaust manifold to you to be ported and will also purchase one of your ported 10.5 hotsides.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
doubleugly 01,

Going to big on the exhaust of a turbo car does not exist. Going too big on a turbine housing does but in this case we are talking about a port job that does nothing but further improve flow and spool up.

The 9.8 and 10.5 housings are both very nice. There is room for improvement on both though. Just take the gaskets that go on each side and hold them up to the housings. You'll see for yourself that there is material to be removed. We blend all this in and then do a final 120 grit polish on the housings.

Ceramic coating keeps the heat in where it belongs which further helps spool up and keeps engine bay temps down. For me, honestly, the ceramic coating keeps the parts looking great with that stupid vent right over the turbo they rust extremely fast from water getting on them.

We charge $300 for a brand new 10.5 housing, porting is $50 on a new housing and ceramic coating is $100. We are using a new company I found that is doing an outstanding job for us. The coating is beautiful, high luster silver, almost looks chrome. It is holding up better than any of the other companies we have used in the past. Shipping is also much less for us so we were able to cut the retail price down by almost half.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
David,

thanks for the input on this thread. I'm not familiar with your ported 10.5 hotside, so I don't know the specifics that you've gone through to prove there is a power gain, but I'll take your word for it, as your reputation is what sells your parts, and you don't want jeopordize that.

On the flip side, I've seen soooo many posts on here how the 10.5 hotside actually spools better than the 9.8, that sometimes you just gotta call people on it. Stepping up in a/r (all else being equal) is the wrong direction for spoolup. Yet people post this type drivel. If you look at soon2bevo's reponse, he doesn't know how, but he's positive there is a gain is akin to saying you get better spool up with a larger turbine housing. I'm just looking for proof to know if it's a good mod or not. I might actually do it if it is a good mod. Not saying anyone is wrong, just asking for prove. And yes, when I said too big on the exhaust side, I meant the turbine housing.

Quick Reply: 10.5 hotside porting?