Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

nitrous question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nitrous question

hey guys. i have been floting around for a few weeks, and reading as mucha s i could before i bought my evo. and i figured id plunge into this great car.

my question is, how much nitrous can teh stock motor handle?

i did use the search feature and i couldnt find exactly what i need. i know these kinds of qquestions are annoying, but i appologize fo it.

any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

400whp is a nice mark to shoot for.

Still plenty of head room at that point, but plenty of power also.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mooreboost
400whp is a nice mark to shoot for.

Still plenty of head room at that point, but plenty of power also.
so on a direct port setup, it can handle a 150 shot?
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

the problem with nitrous on an evo is...u really dont need it. there is so many other ways of getting hp out of modding ur car that nitrous just doesnt seem to be a common way to go with the evo. but when i was first looking for parts for my car, i too had nitrous on my mind. i found that the tune for this would require a seperate fuel map, so that means a stand-alone ecu. i suppose u could do 35 shot, but i never looked into direct port, it was always a fogger of sorts.
i believe al from dynoflash actually used it on his evo when he first got it because he also had it on his wrx.
i dont think u will get a lot of responses from this, because i really cant think of that many people on this forum using nitrous. call Turbotrix, i also spoke with them and they put it into perspective for me.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

yes i see what your saying. if i had the choice it would be t vishnu getting stage three everyhting. and i have the money too. but its under factory warrenty, and i can take nitrous off every tune up or when i need something fixed. i was jsut looking for a way to go fast easily witout a complete overhaul.

i allready have my hks evc5 ready to install, and that means im runnin 22 lbs, but for the time being, i cant really do much else. except exhaust. and i dont relaly know which one to get. i relaly like the hks carbon/tita one, but i was gonna sak that question here as weel.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

looking to go fast easily without a complete overhaul, was exactly why i considered nitrous at first too. then u think about how difficult it can be to install a nitrous kit sometimes and wonder why u ever thought about it in the first place.
there are many exhausts to look at. my advice would be to save ur money and buy a megan racing full exhaust or a logicperformance exhaust. they both are 3" tbe's and are good quality for good prices. my friend, ryansti, has a full logicperformance exhaust on his car and at first i thought it was gonna be real loud, but i think it sounds nice. good luck!
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

well even though is somewhat "portable" nitrous has to be closely monitored. if a jet or line gets clogged, or simply run lean for any reason, your F#$%.

getting the usual BPU may not be as concealing, but wont be a b!tch in the long run either.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

yes, but the basic bpu will void my warrenty. where as with nitrous, i can take it of and hide the signs.

but i am considering screwing the warrenty and sending it off to vishnu. ir eally want to try the nitrous first though.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

BPU shouldnt "void" your warranty........unless its the technical cause of the defect blah blah blah, not going into detail on that magnuson act.

if you can, try and find a MOD friendly dealer. I got lucky, thanks SAN RAFAEL!
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

mine is not. but maybe i can find one. could i call san rafael? or should i just go down there? how would i approch that?
Old Dec 1, 2005, 04:50 AM
Account Disabled

Stock motor can definitely handle a 50 to 75 shot as many people run gt35rs on stock block which puts just as much stress on the motor as spray would.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

I have run as high as 80 shot on a stock motor, but I was only making about 420whp total with the 80 shot. (bad tune at the time with mostly stock parts).

I have pushed the stock motor to 525whp and it can take it with a 35R. Now that I went back to the stock turbo, Im planning to up my nitrous use to make up as much of the differance as I can in power output. In my case, Im going to run out of flow capacity in my nitrous parts (feed line, solonoid) before I make enough power to break the engine internals.

I would have no qualms running a 150shot on top of a maxed out stock turbo combo. That would make just about 525whp.

The engine coudn't care less how it gets the o2 and fuel to make XXXHP. nitrous or big boost/airflow is all the same as far as the strenght of the engine is concerned.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:31 AM

well i thought always that using the nitrous unwisely You can more easily bend a rod than with even a big turbo..

when You add a big shot down low the rods are more stressed than with big boost up top? 80 or even 150 shot would bring loads of torque exactly where the engine with stock turbo has its peak tq if You use it all the way across the revs...
and a big turbocharger would spool until higher rpm and develop the power more evenly i guess...

isn't it torque (apart from detonation) that would destroy a rod or a pin most easily?

I am not trying to say that NO2 =evil... just that it is the user and his finger, that defines what would be safe level of spray..
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Nitrous is awesome, all the people here that are saying it is bad have never used it. The **** is like a crack addiction. You get a little and you got to have more. I ran a 150 shot on a stock 4G63 with a 20g, no bent rods, no broken pistons. Just have to know what you are doing and have the right parts to do it.

Window switch is a must and a fuel pressure switch is also a needed part. But like everyone else said here, it is really not worth it on a car with the stock exhaust and stock CAT. Not to mention you will have to have a boost controller unless you add a fuel pump. With the ECO controlling boost you will get boost cut quickly and the computer will always be trying to pull the boost back. Nitrous spools the turbo instantly, you will gain 5-7psi when on the button.

Last edited by MM Racing; Dec 1, 2005 at 06:02 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MM Racing
Nitrous is awesome, all the people here that are saying it is bad have never used it.
This is the truth.

All of these bench racers on the internet who knock it have never even used it. And their "knowledge" that it will blow a motor is just obtained from some other person who heard it on the internet.

Go to the track and watch for the fast people, ask them, such as DSMotorSport and they'll tell you its awesome and perfectly safe if setup properly.

I'm about to have a kit installed here in an hour, Ill post pics when its done.

Quick Reply: nitrous question