Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what grade mobil 1?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2003, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what grade mobil 1?

I am about to embark on my first oil change and I needed to know what grade mobil 1 to use?....the manual says 10w 30..but I noticed on the dealer's video they held up a bottle of 5w something...can anyone help?.....My evo is fantastic...been drivin' not postin!!!
Old Mar 20, 2003, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

I'm running 5w30 right now cuz it's still kinda cold in the mornings. This is on a Lancer, mind you.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for your input ...but need a bit more.....Ya know
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

I thought the bottle was 50 weight in the video, I could be mistaken though. I rememeber a bright red label. Just look for that and you'll probably have what's in the video. I'd trust the manual over a random bottle for a video, though.

Or just call your mitsubishi dealer and ask what they recommend for your climate. They should have evo certified techs there after all.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

They don't know much at all.....Not to bragg, but I seem to know more than them by far......I asked if it was 10W 30 and they said "eh. we need to check....." I thought I could ask what other people are changing thier oil with?....I am in the mild south east
Old Mar 21, 2003, 06:02 AM

Honestly guys, save your money when it comes to motor oil. Enthusiasts like us most of the time change our oil before the 3000 mile mark.

I use the Wal-Mart 10W-40. PERIOD!! It works. And still to this date I have never had a problem with oil. Look on the back of a quart of oil and you will see the API service rating. The first letter will always be "S". The next letter tell you the if the oil is up to date with the current advances in oil technology. The higher the letter is in the alphabet, the higher standard it is.

For instance SL will protect your engine better than a SI grade.

Wal-Mart brand is at the highest standard along with the name brand oil. WHY????? Because they are bottled at the same factory, but they just stuck it in a wal-mart brand bottle. You save money because you are not paying for the marketing.

If you don't think it will protect your motor, just look at what my Eclipse runs in the 1/4 mile on the bottom. 100,000 miles and never looking back. Wal-mart filter also. Costs me $5.20 to change my oil, that's about what you guys pay for one quart of synthetic.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Good for you... I sleep better knowing I have Mobil 1 in my engine. As for you Evo owners I wouldn't put anything else in there except what calls for. If it says 10w30 then use 10w30 as for it being too cold out then it would have to be damn cold out like below 20 deg F. Remember synthetic flows very easily.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:14 AM
SRD
Evolving Member

10W-30 is fine for all around use...

Maybe in the summer use the red bottle aka 15W-50, if you race or beat on the car.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by 2GTSiAWD
Good for you... I sleep better knowing I have Mobil 1 in my engine. As for you Evo owners I wouldn't put anything else in there except what calls for.
I think a lot of you guys worry too much. Most of my friends are the same way and they can't believe the oil I put in the engine. I guess if it makes you feel better, do exactly what Mitsu tells you to. Then again they STRICTLY prohibit any slight modification to the vehicle or they may void the warranty. Mitsu think that if you raise the boost, you instantly jepordize the motor.

Rule of thumb, the colder your region is, use 5 or maybe 0W. Summer time, bumb back up to 10W30 or in the desert like me go 10W40. Choose your own brand, to what ever makes you feel better.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only full synthetic oil, please....

Originally posted by JeffGST
Honestly guys, save your money when it comes to motor oil. Enthusiasts like us most of the time change our oil before the 3000 mile mark.

I use the Wal-Mart 10W-40. PERIOD!! It works.
Don't even think of using anything but full synthetic oil in your EVO. The manual clearly states that using anything else such as blends or non-synthetic oil will void the warranty!! In my EVO even the oil cap in the valve cover says "Mobil 1 only". I hate to spend money needlessly too, but in this case (EVO VIII) it is the only option

Manuel
Old Mar 22, 2003, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

JeffGST,
I'm also surprised that you use regular non-synth oil. There are a couple conditions where I think using synthetic is a must.
1) If you race or live in extremely HARSH conditions (read: death valley, artic, etc)
2) The car is either a really high revving car (re: S2000, RX-8, etc)
3) The car is forced induction, especially turbo-charged.

The oil not only works within the engine, but also cools the turbo. At higher than normal engine temps, a turbo probably has higher oil breakdown w/o synthetic. Just my thoughts.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by 91TB78
JeffGST,
I'm also surprised that you use regular non-synth oil. There are a couple conditions where I think using synthetic is a must.
1) If you race or live in extremely HARSH conditions (read: death valley, artic, etc)
2) The car is either a really high revving car (re: S2000, RX-8, etc)
3) The car is forced induction, especially turbo-charged.

The oil not only works within the engine, but also cools the turbo. At higher than normal engine temps, a turbo probably has higher oil breakdown w/o synthetic. Just my thoughts.

Did you look at my profile on the side? I live in Las Vegas, NV. It averages around 110F in the summertime. It would consider this harsh. Oil does help to keep the engine cooler, and I am very aware of that. But if you guys would just start reading up on API service ratings.

Do some research! The API service rating is the same for Valvoline, Casrol, Pennzoil and Wal-Mart. They all have SL ratings.

I know Mitsu says anything less than sythetic WILL DAMAGE THE MOTOR! But they also say raising the boost a tiny bit will jepordize the motor. Change the oil often! I use a cost effective brand that is up-to-date with current technologies because I change my oil so often.

420 HP @ 6000 RPM
426 Ft.lbs. @ 4800 RPM
At the Front wheels
Factory block,rods,pistons,cams and head

108,000 miles in less than 5 years, so I can consider this a daily driver. Wal-Mart 10W40 has done miracles for the motor.

My tranny has taken 3 dumps before my motor has taken 1.

4G63 is built strong! Believe in it.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

One thing to keep in mind also is that all oils have the same 7 additives, JeffGST does make some very good pionts, but i'd run whatever my manual says, just to play it safe. I've heard that oil has a "DNA" trademark, they can tell what kind of oil (brand & weight) is in your car from a sample.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation No chances with my car....

While I suppose one could use any oil in one's car, the book as well as all the stickers and labels in my EVO VIII say "Mobil 1 Full synthetic oil only". It also says that the use of any other oils, specifically blends or non-synthetic oils "will void the warranty". I'm not going to take a chance on voiding the engine warranty just to save $20 per oil change. Maybe other cars in the Mitsubishi line can take regiular motor oil, but I won't mess with my new EVO.

Quick Reply: what grade mobil 1?