Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Truth Squad: AEM v. Xede at 530 whp

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I am glad you replied for me SaabTuner. Im sorry I did give the true technical names and measurements to be used. Obviously it was designed for non-engineers like myself to understand.

Dustin, there is a difference in pressure. Yes it is from the intake where the MAF resides. That is quite obvious to most people (Which it seems you finally discovered thats what I meant). Since the MAF is in the intake, it forces the turbo to spin more to push the same amount of air as it would with no intake or MAF. Pretty simple, its like going up in altitude. Less air density = more compression required to output the same amount of air. Not to mention the heat gain because the turbo is now being spun faster. Then you need to get into efficiency ranges of the turbo as well.

Some more crap for you guys. If you want to measure the real restriction send me the sensor and I would be happy to log it using my car. I will install a stock MAF in front of a 4" intake, measure it then remove the MAF and re-measure. Pretty simple it would seem.

On top of that, since you are only talking about precision then yes, you are correct. The MAF is hands down more precise... again, does this matter or even help at all? Probably not. You talk about the engine losing some of it's VE which is obivous happens over time. And you must have a MAF made from Ubertonium because all the ones I see have either a flimsy @ss wire in em or a big @ss honeycomb that is more flimsy than a bunch of paperclips tied together.

So lets talk about long term drivability shall we?
Engine loses VE. Speed density uses this calculation for its fuel requirements so yes, they get thrown off over a few years. How many people dont change anything that would require a retune after a few years anyways? If they wanted to switch to something like an EMS they are obviously not concerned about retuning thier car every few years.

Now for the MAF. Since you are talking about long term crap, lets assume a stock car. It has its breather system crap all of it out right near the MAF. Over time this will obviously get oily crap on it, causing it to not read correctly. Assume you use a blowthrough MAF... now you are shooting 30psi of air mixed with a slight amount of oil on a tiny little sensor. Im sure it will never start to read differently than it did when it was brand new! Come on....

So now we have discovered both have flaws. Which is better for you... well you decide. You could tune a MAP car to compensate for any temp change you want. It will compensate for altitude. So yes, it may take a while to get all tables correct and sooner or later they may get skewed from the engine getting older. Then we take the MAF. A flimsy little sensor on a car making a bunch of power. Sooner or later it will get oil on it, it will have something come in contact with it. Some dust mixed w/ oil will cover it, etc, etc.... You might drop it for all that it matters. You do gain some accuracy on airflow, but for one thing would you use the extra accuracy for anything? Probably not. Is it a restriction, yes. A big one? Probably not. Do you need to find a MAF that is calibrated for your power level? Yes. What if you drastically change your power... do you need a new one? Probably because it is now out of its range (Mainly talking about the stocker).

The whole point is, for some reason you Vishnu people seem to think this is the only way to go and it is SO superior. No offense or anything.... carbureted cars can run quicker than 7s. Speed Density cars can run quicker than 7s. Im not sure the fastest MAF car but I am sure it is plenty fast. The point is, all systems work, they all have flaws.

When I compare the advantages from speed density and compare it to a MAF... Ill take speed density any day. My imagination is the limit to my intake plumbing. If I blow couplers, the car drives home perfectly fine. It is very sturdy, the least of all restrictions. The benifits from a MAF would give me..... more adaptability... I could care less. If I change something on my car that is big enough for me to need to retune it using speed density... even if I had a MAF, I would need to retune it. So what exactly do I gain from the MAF? The exact benifit, not in theory. Specifically... what could I possibly gain?
Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going blind reading this.

Having had both systems in my car with the same mods, the MAP drives smoother, especially on tip in.

Who would have thunk?