Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Longitudinal 4G63?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longitudinal 4G63?

Anybody know if there are any Mitsubishi models that used a longitudinal 4G63? Reason for asking is that I'm considering a 4G63 EVO engine for a project that needs a longitudinal engine and RWD and I would like to know if there is a gearbox that would work for that setup?

Cheers,
Old Dec 5, 2005, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

i would give Mr. Buschur a call

Old Dec 5, 2005, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ibanez_926
i would give Mr. Buschur a call

I thought about that as well, I'll drop him a mail.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Was the Starion longitudinal?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by jude
Yes
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor

just make some mounts..
Old Dec 5, 2005, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Hello,

The easiest way of making this work is to use a 4G64 block (wide housing) and use a Starion transmission. This combo will bolt on together and you can get a custom drive shaft from numerous places. Good luck, sounds liek a fun project.

jerry
Old Dec 5, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Anybody know if there are any Mitsubishi models that used a longitudinal 4G63? Reason for asking is that I'm considering a 4G63 EVO engine for a project that needs a longitudinal engine and RWD and I would like to know if there is a gearbox that would work for that setup?

Cheers,
I'm assuming that this is NOT a project Evo? In either case, I don't see why you couldn't mount basically any engine longitudinally.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 04:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by jude
Yes it was but it wasn't a 4G63
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Full Function
Hello,

The easiest way of making this work is to use a 4G64 block (wide housing) and use a Starion transmission. This combo will bolt on together and you can get a custom drive shaft from numerous places. Good luck, sounds liek a fun project.

jerry
What kind of job would it be to change from a 4G63 block to a 4G64? I guess it involves changing pistons at least since the 4G64 isn’t turbo charged as far as I know? And isn’t the 4G64 2,2 or even 2,4l?

David suggested a gearbox from a pickup called “Mighty Max”, there is no car sold under that name in Europe as far as I know but it might be called something else here. Anybody that has any experience with that gearbox?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SaabTuner
I'm assuming that this is NOT a project Evo? In either case, I don't see why you couldn't mount basically any engine longitudinally.
No not really, I like the characteristics of the EVO engine a lot and the project I’m thinking of is some kind of Lotus 7 replica or at least something along those lines and a more or less stock EVO engine. I guess it would be interesting, to say the least, in a car weighing in at around 600-700kg
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
No not really, I like the characteristics of the EVO engine a lot and the project I’m thinking of is some kind of Lotus 7 replica or at least something along those lines and a more or less stock EVO engine. I guess it would be interesting, to say the least, in a car weighing in at around 600-700kg
Definitely, and a stock Evo engine with just a straight exhaust and a tune would do extremely well in that application. But, if you plan on upgrading the turbo, I would consider one of the Gen 1 DSM engines, which I think you should be able to get for much cheaper?

The best part of the Evo's engine is the turbo-- the block and internals, though strong, are nothing spectacular. Neither is the stock engine-management system. There's nothing wrong with them per se, but there are probably other options (like the Gen 1 DSM) which are cheaper and just as good IF you are replacing the turbo anyway.

But, if you can get the complete Evo engine, turbo and ancilliaries for cheap ... go for it!!!

-Adrian
Old Dec 6, 2005, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Behold the Mighty Max:

It was made by Mitsi around 1989 to 1995 roughly. Im sure you could just get a tranny shipped from the US or Japan if they arent in Europe.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boomtown
Behold the Mighty Max:

It was made by Mitsi around 1989 to 1995 roughly. Im sure you could just get a tranny shipped from the US or Japan if they arent in Europe.
Thanks, it's called L200 in Europe so I should be able to find one here as well. Just not too sure that this box is that well suited for this project? Might be very strange ratios and maybe not the smoothest of boxes?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
dentsport garage... Google thier site, or look up evom member bimabishi (sp?)... They put a 4g63 in a 325i as well as a few other unholly creations.

Quick Reply: Longitudinal 4G63?