Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust temp and turbo durability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust temp and turbo durability

Translated (Babelfish) from a description on a Ralliart website:

"The computer unit which was developed in domestic rally competition exclusive use. The highest fast cutting was abolished, over boost cutting was abolished for efficiency improvement, in addition west gate control was modified. Modifying fan control for cooling efficiency improvement. In addition, the A/F correction coefficient map and the ignition timing map it was modified. In addition, regulation value of the exhaust gas temperature which is decided from durability of the turbocharger and the like efficiency improvement in transient of the actual car is actualized."

It's their description of their ECU, which replaces stock.

I'd like to bring your attention to the bit in bold. Does anyone know what that's about? How do yo control exhaust temperature? Perhaps I missed them, but I don't recall anyone mentioning this anywhere, specially the ECU forums. Perhaps it's the babelfish translating gibber.

Here's a link to it:scroll down on this page

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

[well, i could have posted on the ecu tuning threads, but i'm more concerned with the exhaust temp, and engine/turbo durability.]
Old Dec 8, 2005, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

your turbo can take the heat...... It's the aluminum head you need to worry about. Keep EGT's below 900 C, preferably 860-870C and everything should be fine.

You can control EGT's by dumping more fuel, pulling timing or running lower boost.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. In fact, I have noticed an increase in fuel consumption on my evo after the installation. I guess they are 'dumping more fuel' if I understand your meaning correctly.