Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TILTON C/C vs EXEDY TRIPPLE CARBON

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 729 WHP, ran 10.3@142.47 with the ACT Heavy duty preasure plate & 6 puck disc without problem. This is a daily driven car, FULL WEIGHT and isn't a shop car. I just put an ACT Extreme preasure plate but haven't tested yet.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by JVELA
I have 729 WHP, ran 10.3@142.47 with the ACT Heavy duty preasure plate & 6 puck disc without problem. This is a daily driven car, FULL WEIGHT and isn't a shop car. I just put an ACT Extreme preasure plate but haven't tested yet.

Hey man congrats! excellent time. Im hopping to touch the 10 sec. soon.

I invested tons of money in this car. Mark (TT) build the car for me. I dont have the stroker, but far than that I have everything on. GT35R, cams, Full race exh., Magnus Intake, 1000 cc inject., pistons, rods, AEM, CAMS, NX, Tranny, Diff, etc. the list goes on and on. Now my headache is the ways im shifiting the gears to slow, because the second and the fourth seems to be locked. I spent USD 2.5K in this fuc... Clutch and now is not working properly. Now I took out the clutch line restrictor and it perfomed a little be better but not dramatically.

I ran the car with 29 lbs of boost, 50 shoot of NX, I launched with the 2step in 6.5K rpm and the best time i made was 12.2, because i passed the gears like a mamita man. That sucks. This is a full weight evo too, I dont know how much HP I have but we are guessing pretty near to 600+ WHP.

How your car performs with a light flyweel, the revs dont come up to quick? Because this is another thing that the RPS have is dam heavy. It weight like 30 pounds.

By the way here se habla espanol!!!!! Ja im kidding.

Alex
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Awecome numbers! Thanks for trusting ACT.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ACTman
Awecome numbers! Thanks for trusting ACT.
Tell me something, for drag racing it will be better to run a heavier Flywheel/clutch setup than a lighter one? Because I always heard is better heavier, but no one is using it.

Judging from your past experience, how much will last a ACT clutch in a drag/daily use car? Take in consideration that now I have a RPS and Im not happy with it.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVOVEMR
Tell me something, for drag racing it will be better to run a heavier Flywheel/clutch setup than a lighter one? Because I always heard is better heavier, but no one is using it.
That is difficult to say. For strictly drag racing, it depends on several factors.
1. You need inertia for the launch. A heavier flywheel will help carry the car off the line. However, what you lack in pounds can be made up for in launch rpm, but then higher launch rpm is not always desirable. You may not want to rev to 9000 rpm with a super light clutch rather than 6000 rpm of the heavier setup (my numbers are just an example).
2. Higher inertia gives more consistency. With a heavier setup you have less chance of blowing the tires off the car or bogging during launch and shifting. You also have less need to slip the clutch. Of course track conditions, HP levels, turbo size, etc, etc, also play a part in consistency.
3. Higher inertia stores power in the form of inertia rather than making it available for acceleration. So you are sacrificing power to gain consistency and lower launch rpm.
4. Lighter discs are always better for faster shifting. By removing the springs in the center of the disc you can save weight but you are giving up dampening which helps to keep the transmission quiet, and you are possibly increasing gear wear.
5. A heavier flywheel may be more durable depending on design. Some flywheels are super thin behind the disc and shouldn't be even considered for drag racing. For instance our Streetlite flywheel is 1.5 pounds lighter than stock but over 50% thicker behind the disc. Since all the weight is removed from the perimeter you will notice a small reduction in inertia, but the flywheel is going to be really durable. Our Prolite flywheel is 4.5 pounds lighter and 17% thicker than stock which is going to be only slightly more durable than stock.
6. Remember that the stock EVO is pretty light as OEM clutch/flywheels go. Don't expect a huge change unless you are going to run a Tilton carbon/carbon which is probably the lightest setup for the EVO.

I am not an experienced drag racer, but from my perspective you need the right balance. It seems that you want to go as light as possible, without sacrificing too much consistency or durability while keeping the launch rpm in a reasonable range. On a day when the track is right, the air is right, and you hit every gear perfect, you can probably want a lighter setup. On a lousy day when traction is low, the power is down, and your reactions are not as good, you are going to want a heavier setup.

Originally Posted by EVOVEMR
Judging from your past experience, how much will last a ACT clutch in a drag/daily use car? Take in consideration that now I have a RPS and Im not happy with it.
I can't tell you how long it will last because there are too many factors. Anyone can literally burn a clutch up in a matter of a few minutes. All I can say is that we are not doing anything to sacrifice clutch life. We enhance clutch life through a few different design changes, but it depends a lot of you. I think our reputation says a lot more than I can so ask around and get other people's opinions. I am of course a little bias.

PS. Sorry for the book guys. Definitely off topic IMO. I thought I was posting to another thread. Oops. I'll shut up. Email me at dstarksen@advancedclutch.com for further inquiries.

Last edited by ACTman; Dec 30, 2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Alex, I used to have the same lock out issue. took the trany to Turbo Trix(Keith) and problem fix. No more lock out issue, this ACT clutch makes the job for a fair price. Right now i'm using the stock flywheel because the Fidanza one cracked, DON"T put a fidanza alumminum flywheel.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 03:15 PM

Alex, I used to have the same lock out issue. took the trany to Turbo Trix(Keith) and problem fix. No more lock out issue, this ACT clutch makes the job for a fair price. Right now i'm using the stock flywheel because the Fidanza one cracked, DON"T put a fidanza alumminum flywheel.
Hey Chuco, I had my whole car builded by Turbo Trix (mark) I believe that is not the problem. At the beggining I thoughted it was the driver but them i found out that is the rps problem.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Oops.

Last edited by ACTman; Dec 30, 2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
I always had problems with shifting.Hate that clutch!
EXEDY is prooven and hope i`ll love it

AMS can tell us all true about it
Yaroslav; I'm telling you man, get the Tilton!!!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

I cant tell you how many passes we made on the ACT .. the regular pressure plate the first yr we went 9's. We just had the puck in the car.

They upgraded us this yr to the heavy duty pressure plate. And it just held 800whp on the dyno .. No spray

Guys think they have to spend 2,000 + on a clutch ...to make it good.. Simply not the case

We use the clutch because it works .... I dont know tilton.. i hear good things but for 6x's the price ..its an obvious choice for me.. ACT !!!!

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by TurbotrixRacing
I cant tell you how many passes we made on the ACT .. the regular pressure plate the first yr we went 9's. We just had the puck in the car.

They upgraded us this yr to the heavy duty pressure plate. And it just held 800whp on the dyno .. No spray

Guys think they have to spend 2,000 + on a clutch ...to make it good.. Simply not the case

We use the clutch because it works .... I dont know tilton.. i hear good things but for 6x's the price ..its an obvious choice for me.. ACT !!!!

Mark
Turbotrix
Hey Mark dont leave me alone with this issue man. Remenber this car is your baby now. If the car never make a good pass at the strip we will be toast especially me.

Alex
Old Jan 2, 2006, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

ACT clutches are good, but the only thing that I have against it is the "calf building" pedal pressure needed for operation! Certainly not nice for everyday driving!!
Tilton C/C will hold 800+ ft/lbs TORQUE with a pedal pressure that is softer or equal to stock; and sure it is 6x as expensive but it will be the last clutch you'll buy, will last so long and will be very very easy to drive in traffic.
No one else can claim them there specs - for the price anyway
Old Jan 2, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

This guy doesn't own an Evo with an ACT EXTREME clutch. I do and my car is a daily driver and take traffic jam of an hour everyday. No problem with this clutch, the preasure is something that you can deal with it not a problem.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 03:49 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing tough is driving a ACT back to back with a Tilton or twindisc unit. I just jumped out of a twindisc car and into an ACT Evo. Now that is hard to get used to.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 09:26 AM

This guy doesn't own an Evo with an ACT EXTREME clutch. I do and my car is a daily driver and take traffic jam of an hour everyday. No problem with this clutch, the preasure is something that you can deal with it not a problem.

Hey Chuco, how much noisy is the cluth (chattering) when you disengaged. It rocks the car inside or not?

By the way, I was thinking that will be a good idea to bring a coupple of PR fast evos here to DR through the ferry and compete. What do you think? We can arrange that.

Quick Reply: TILTON C/C vs EXEDY TRIPPLE CARBON