Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IX - mbc and tbe safe w/o flash?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IX - mbc and tbe safe w/o flash?

I just got a 06 RS. I was wondering if it's safe for me to put on a mbc and tbe and turn the boost up to 21 or 22 psi. will the car lean out , or will the ecu compensate for the removal of the boost taper. I want to be able to easily put my car back to stock if i have any problems in the future. I've searched but couldn't find anything on the IX. tia.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

What I heard is that the Evo IX Ecu pulls a lot of timing if you surpass the target airflow/combustion values. It might cause the EGT to get very high and additional fuel beyond the 10-11:1 A/F ratios listed stock would probably only exacerbate the slow burn and raise the EGT further.

But I think Shiv from Vishnu (and others) might be able to elaborate-on/correct that statement.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am really not the expert here but I went through a lot of what you are asking.

From what I experienced the computer actually senses the leaning conditions and changes the fuel parameters to a rich configuration.

I ran a WRX before with TB MBC CAI and others mods and it use to smoke black smoke. Same thing happened with the Evo, the ECU protect the engine by dumping more fuel and changing the map to a richer but safer mode.

These conditions(black smoke) disappeared after the tunning. By the way, you should only see some black smoke only when gunning it not all the time.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I am hours away from running a full TB , CAI and MBC on the Evo 9, I will give you some feedback, I expect the car to smoke black smoke though..
Old Dec 29, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Get it tuned locally if you can (Ecutek). Dont buy the MBC. At least thats my advice.

Tanabe 70mm DP, Works HFC, Greddy Ti cat back, Shiv tune = 295 AWHP on 91 octane.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 09:58 PM

up
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you'll be fine with a TBE/MBC untuned with the best set at 21psi on 93oct. However, I recommend getting a flash. That's less of a worry than an MBC or TBE. Yes, you can put the MBC back to stock in 30-40mins, but switching out your TBE every time is not feasible. Plus, if they look closely, they can see that you've mess with the factory boost lines and the stock exhaust as far as un-installing/re-installing them goes...
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

My opnion on it would be to just get an xede and use stock boost control. I assume they (Vishnu) will have some 06 maps pretty soon, plus that way your ECU isn't flashed. You can just use the boost tables to control your boost. Unless your set on getting your ECU flashed, I'm not trying to start any flames.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:11 AM
Account Disabled

I have the through the mail Dyno Flash ecu tuning available for the Evo IX now at $300 shipped - this would dial in the tune for your new mods and also raise your rev limiter and give you the two step
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:58 AM

i would personally go with a piggyback because if you need another flash down the road because you have new mods, paying another $300 would be rediculous. get a piggyback my .02
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dashiet
i would personally go with a piggyback because if you need another flash down the road because you have new mods, paying another $300 would be rediculous. get a piggyback my .02
Poor information here. It doesn't cost $300 every time. It only costs $100 for successive flashes, plus, if you get a piggyback, it will cost a lot more up front, will require a wideband o2, will require intricate tuning knowledge, and it won't be able to provide launch control, raised rev limiter, nor fuel cut removal.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

This is the exact same set up I ran before my Flash and it was fine.

Boost controller, with a TBE. Then added the flash. Great results.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Poor information here. It doesn't cost $300 every time. It only costs $100 for successive flashes, plus, if you get a piggyback, it will cost a lot more up front, will require a wideband o2, will require intricate tuning knowledge, and it won't be able to provide launch control, raised rev limiter, nor fuel cut removal.
The Xede piggyback will work indeed fine without a wideband (lacking the SMART option), and does offer launch control in certrain configurations.

Another benefit of Xede is that you can have two maps installed, easily switch between them (say a 91oct and a 100oct map).

Admittedly, the upfront cost is significantly higher.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

dynoflash has 2 maps, too, but they aren't user switchable with a "switch," but rather switchable via bost settings (i.e. 21psi vs 24psi). It's good to have a self-tuning device for such things, but to me the cost is not worth it, especially for people who don't know how to do their own tuning. Relying on the SMART option (more cost?) to do your tuning is not my idea of why you'd buy a piggyback to begin with. IT's for self-tuning...

The Xede is an option, but I don't see why people would suggest it to someone who doesn't even know if it's ok to run a tbe/mbc untuned.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:53 PM

I would reccomend some kind of flash. W/ a WORKS flash you will not need the MBC, research and find out what is best for you.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

You don't need an MBC with any flash, fyi.

Quick Reply: IX - mbc and tbe safe w/o flash?