Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

powerflex or buschur motor mount/bushing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superhatch,

Why are you switching mounts? It’s interesting that you would swap these if one worked fine, just curious. I have been thinking to get the BR mounts. I can’t imagine that much difference between them for most of us, stiffer is stiffer and less movement is all good…
Old Apr 10, 2006, 06:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdavy
Superhatch,

Why are you switching mounts? It’s interesting that you would swap these if one worked fine, just curious. I have been thinking to get the BR mounts. I can’t imagine that much difference between them for most of us, stiffer is stiffer and less movement is all good…
Might be losing his filings???
Old Apr 10, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

I really like the nice ride in my car and am considering the full Ralliart engine/tranny mounts. I'm just not sure if they are stiff enough.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Front mount ordered. Now to pry some money out of my bank for the tranny rebuild + front lsd.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

If the bonus achieved by any of these mounts are anywhere near the upgraded hard poly snub-engine mount i had installed on my 2001.5 A4 (22-23psi boost w/neuspeed prototype chip) and many supporting mods, you guys are going to love it.

My Audi's front snub mount was from AMS (the audi, porsche, and other "luxury and exotics" in Carson California and at the same time i upgraded the A4 engine mounts with super stiff Audi RS4 engine mounts and while there was vibration.... the performance gains in shifting, engine movement (torque loss), and other performance categories. The car drove hard but with a GT28RS boosing 28psi till redline made it a great car. If you Evo guys (including myself) get more vibration than my Audi had.... i'd be suprised.

As for needing a camp to get the spongie stock bushing out, if its like the A4 snub mount where you gotta slide it off a thick rod with a golfall sized tip... it will be hard with most home garage tools. I personally took a cutting wheel powered by my Craftsman Air Compressor and just sliced the stock "sponge" of a mount because i knew it would be tough. Many others used a C clamp which expands and that popped off the brutally stock one off. The same clamp with a little lube on it popped right on.

I then installed the AMS in Carson, CA (never deal with those pompus *****. I had THREE scheduled appointments to get my SuperSprint exhaust fixed due to an exhaust leak (the third one since they did the install) and after sitting around for about an hour during the first two, they said they had cars on their lifts (IE: Bigger sales) and sent he home. Another 1 hour drive back in LA Traffic....

My third attempt and confirmed appointment i waited another 1:35 and lost my cool. I walked past the "stay out of the mechanics garage", confonted Mark the owner and told him this is the most pathetic customer service i've ever experienced and to top it off.... the bastards didn't even try to compensate me in any way. Not even a deal on a new Helmet or some Sparco race shoes. He told me to leave or he was calling the police. I told him to call them up and i'll show my printed e-mail saying when my appointment was and the others confirming the other appointments. He copped a huge attitude because i know my legal rights (BS in Political Science, minor in constitutional law, and another minor in contract law.

I cannot believe the guy had the nerve to not even make an offer to keep me as a customer because i had thousands to spend if i liked their shop. To avoid a bad confrontation, i walked out and while leaving.... i made some comments to other customers about how his AMS chip for the A4 and S4 was nothing but a copy from the Euro-Spec ABT chip with a markup. Ahh.... last of all a kid that day drove from san diego (130 miles) to buy Sparco Milano seats and somoene quoted the kid retail....plus he said to the kid that mounting rails were in the package deal. He told AMS to "p*$$ off and left a $2400+ sale for AMS.

Oh... and get this.... that night Mark, the owner called my home line during dinnertime and attempted to chew me out over me posting about this on Audizine and Audiworld at the time. I told him to sue me for libel or slander. I'll be waiting for the subpoena. I had three visits, tons of correspondance.... and the guy passed up any opportunity to save his **** by at least making ONE.... JUST ONE.... apology. No professionalism = Blacklisted.

Now the next day the owner of www.supremepowerparts.com called me up and said he'd fix the exhaust leak for free. As you can imagine, he is my main man for parts... and Renner Motorsport in LA is my install/fab/custom shop.

Sorry for the OT..... but i'm going to get these bushings soon. I dont mind vibration considering i'm adding 100sq ft of www.fatmat.com extreme to my entire car except maybe the roof. It works wonders and 100sq ft which can cover more than an Evo is just as good as dynamat extreme but only $99 for this massive purchase. The trunk floor, wheel well, and rear body panels in the trunk look fantastic. Rear deck, fenders, 4 doors, and i may also do the floorboards in the passenger and drivers seats for comfort, etc. Oh.... A, B, and C pillars will get done as well. Maybe insides of varous panels that can resonate.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SuperHatch
I've had stock and the Buschur mounts. I'm now switching to Ralliart Mounts. I will give my opinions of the Ralliart mounts this weekend post install.

The Buschur Mounts work exactly as advertized. They stop engine movement, no doubt about that.
If you are hoping these (Ralliart) don't shake your car to hell....well you'd be wrong. My entire dash vibrates and I can feel the engine vibration in my seat. Only bad at idle. If the Buschur mounts create lots of vibration my guess is you won't see much, if any, relief.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Barnettevo
Superhatch,
Anxious to hear your opinions regarding the motor mounts. I still haven't decided which to go with, Buschur, Ralliart, or Powerflex.
I'm anxious to get them in as well... holding the ralliart and buschur mounts side by side, the ralliart mount material doesn't "feel" that much softer than the buschur mounts, but of course I have no quantifiable data to back this up....

There were threads about how the Engine and Tranny side mounts actually made the powerflex mounts seem smoother, I'm hoping the same applies to the ralliart mount package.

- Steve
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cdavy
Superhatch,

I would link you to the thread, but the powers that be deleted it.

The Buschur mounts work fine, they're stiff as hell and really rattle the dash badly, but they work exactly as advertised.

- Steve
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
If you are hoping these (Ralliart) don't shake your car to hell....well you'd be wrong. My entire dash vibrates and I can feel the engine vibration in my seat. Only bad at idle. If the Buschur mounts create lots of vibration my guess is you won't see much, if any, relief.
Oh well... we shall see. Everyone has a different definition of "shakes like hell", and all I'll be able to say afterwards is "more" or "less".

- Steve
Old Apr 17, 2006, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Just thought I'd let you know this statement is wrong...

My impressions, going from stock to Buschur to Ralliart...

Yes, the Ralliart mounts transmit more vibration than stock, with cams I get a moderate amount of vibration at idle, the only time it is really noticeable is at idle with the AC on.

I had Buschur mounts in the car for 6-8 weeks. They were very stiff and did exactly what Dave said they'd do. I got NO engine movement with them at all. I'm still trying to figure out how motor mounts are supposed to make the shifter feel more precise on a car with cable shift linkage, but that's another story. I had my car apart the last two weeks while I was getting my tranny rebuilt by TRE (once again, that's another story). While I had it apart I was switching out the motor mounts.

As a matter of fact after I put my car back together with the Ralliart mounts, I had forgotten that I even had mounts in the car. That's how smooth they felt compared to the Buschur Mounts.

I installed the complete Ralliart set, F/R/Sides. I previously had the Buschur F/R pair, and prior to that, stock.

I am not going to tell you that the Ralliart mounts feel like stock but completely eliminate engine movement. They don't feel like stock, as a matter of fact it still "feels" like I have Buschur mounts in the car when it comes to heel/toe, lift throttle, and throttle response. No engine torque is wasted in torquing up the mounts, the engine stays still and responds more firmly. (This charecteristic is difficult to describe...) It does NOT feel like I have Buschur mounts in the car when it comes to idle vibration, initial takeoff, and exhaust resonance. These "problems" just aren't apparent with the Ralliart mounts.

My final thought would be to give credit to a Mitsu made performance upgrade. The effort spent on making a firm mount set that doesn't make huge sacrifices on vehicle NVH is very appreciable.

- Steve
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like it turned out good for you SuperHatch. Gonna come run NNJR Autox at Etown this weekend? Will be a couple very fast evo's out.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like it turned out good for you SuperHatch. Gonna come run NNJR Autox at Etown this weekend? Will be a couple very fast evo's out.
I find out tomorrow if I am flying to England on Saturday for work. If not, then yes I'll be there...
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperHatch
Just thought I'd let you know this statement is wrong...

My impressions, going from stock to Buschur to Ralliart...

Yes, the Ralliart mounts transmit more vibration than stock, with cams I get a moderate amount of vibration at idle, the only time it is really noticeable is at idle with the AC on.

I had Buschur mounts in the car for 6-8 weeks. They were very stiff and did exactly what Dave said they'd do. I got NO engine movement with them at all. I'm still trying to figure out how motor mounts are supposed to make the shifter feel more precise on a car with cable shift linkage, but that's another story. I had my car apart the last two weeks while I was getting my tranny rebuilt by TRE (once again, that's another story). While I had it apart I was switching out the motor mounts.

As a matter of fact after I put my car back together with the Ralliart mounts, I had forgotten that I even had mounts in the car. That's how smooth they felt compared to the Buschur Mounts.

I installed the complete Ralliart set, F/R/Sides. I previously had the Buschur F/R pair, and prior to that, stock.

I am not going to tell you that the Ralliart mounts feel like stock but completely eliminate engine movement. They don't feel like stock, as a matter of fact it still "feels" like I have Buschur mounts in the car when it comes to heel/toe, lift throttle, and throttle response. No engine torque is wasted in torquing up the mounts, the engine stays still and responds more firmly. (This charecteristic is difficult to describe...) It does NOT feel like I have Buschur mounts in the car when it comes to idle vibration, initial takeoff, and exhaust resonance. These "problems" just aren't apparent with the Ralliart mounts.

My final thought would be to give credit to a Mitsu made performance upgrade. The effort spent on making a firm mount set that doesn't make huge sacrifices on vehicle NVH is very appreciable.

- Steve
thanks, i was lookin' for exactly this.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Steve,

Do the Ralliart mounts have the metal sleeve around it like the OEM ones?
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
Steve,

Do the Ralliart mounts have the metal sleeve around it like the OEM ones?
The ralliarm mounts visually look EXACTLY like the stock mounts, EXCEPT for the rear mount. So yes, the metal sleeves are there, you MUST use a press to install them. The Rear Mount is the only one that visually looks different. Almost impossible for me to describe with words, but if you search there is another ralliart mount thread that has pictures.

Yes, I think you could install these mounts and retain your warranty. (I know you didn't ask, but someone is bound to)

Quick Reply: powerflex or buschur motor mount/bushing?