Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

5 Speed vs 6 Speed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Speed vs 6 Speed?

Hey I just searched the forum and I read a thread about these two trannys in the Drag Racing forum, but it did not answer my question about them. I am getting an MR or Regular Evo but my determining choice is on the tranny. Is the 6 spd really worth it or should I just save the money and get a IX? It will be my daily driver, and i will be taking it to the track every once in a while. Is the 6th gear really necessary or would the 5 speed just do me well? What do you all think?

Thanks...
Old Jan 2, 2006, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

A couple things to know. For the Evo VIII, fifth gear and sixth gear are almost the same, at 60 mph there's maybe a 100 rpm difference. The extra gear on the VIII MR is like an extra gear between 4 and 5. For the IX, they shortened the top gear so it's more like the IX has the same first five gears as the MR but the MR has an extra gear on top. As a result, the IX 5 speed is more responsive on a track but harder to live day to day with than the MR's 6 speed. In other words, the Evo IX 5 and 6 speed are almost the same on the track but for commuting you'll appreciate the extra gear on the IX MR. If you're looking at used VIII's, there is almost no difference on the highway between the 5 and 6 speed trannys. The 6 speed has a better action thanks to the teflon cables, but it's subtle at best. Also, in extreme situations (like the 24 hours at thunderhill) the 5 speed is recommended by mitsubishi due to its better durability in these circumstances. (Car and Driver ran an MR in that event and Mitsubishi told them to swap out the 6 speed for the 5) In the real world, there probably isn't any difference in strength/durability between the two. If it were me I'd try to get an MR, but I'm not particularly sad about having the 5 speed.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 02:21 AM
Evolved Member

Nguyen you get an A+ for effectiveness. haha That helped me with my decision as well.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
top speed in gears (7500 rpm) on IX: 43.2 61.7 83.4 109.9 158.2
8: 41.1 61.7 85.6 116.8 167.2
MR: 40.9 61.2 83.0 108.2 137.1 171.7

so as you can see, 1st is a little longer, 2nd is the same. 3, 4, and 5 are shorter.

@ 75 mph in the 8, you're doing just under 3400 rpm
in the 9.. 3550 or so.
MR: just under 3300

More or less, the new IX has the same first 4 gears that the MR does (within 2mph), whereas the MR will pull more in 5th (above 110.)

That kinda puts the debate to rest.

That being said, i love my 6 spd on track
Old Jan 2, 2006, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

I just bought a IX MR, do you know the best way to make the overall ratios a tad taller? I am still in the breakin period, so I have not been redlining but I did not think I could get to 60 mph in 2nd. (The previous post seems to put this to rest.)

Right now they just seem too short for me . Thanks

Chris
Old Jan 2, 2006, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

they seem short, but they're handy when you're really putting it down, on track unless it gets below 52-53, i just stick it in third, as you have gobs of power, and the time to let off and shift and re-spool, doesn't make much sence.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

thanks you all, but the reason I also asked was because I wanted to get the IX and maybe get a 6 speed for it because I didnt really want to get the MR. I like the "luxury" equipment that the IX offers but the MR doesnt (i.e. Sunroof, Leather seats, etc.)
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:25 PM

its possible to never even really feel like you have to use the 6th gear... but it's always cool to say you have one
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

ok I cant decide now....is the MR really worth it? I want the SSL package because i like luxury as well as speed. i want to get the IX but i dont want to make a mistake and then i hear the MR is way better. Do any of you have any experience with both the IX and IX MR? remember i still feel for the luxury package....thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by diablo2184
ok I cant decide now....is the MR really worth it? I want the SSL package because i like luxury as well as speed. i want to get the IX but i dont want to make a mistake and then i hear the MR is way better. Do any of you have any experience with both the IX and IX MR? remember i still feel for the luxury package....thanks!
the upgraded sound system isnt worth it.

the sunroof is a novelty

the 6 speed is nice for highway driving

just get the mr and then trade seats with someone with an 8 that wants the alacantra. someone will be glad to trade you his luxury leather. cause thats the only part i can see as being luxury between the mr and 9
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by diablo2184
Hey I just searched the forum and I read a thread about these two trannys in the Drag Racing forum, but it did not answer my question about them. I am getting an MR or Regular Evo but my determining choice is on the tranny. Is the 6 spd really worth it or should I just save the money and get a IX? It will be my daily driver, and i will be taking it to the track every once in a while. Is the 6th gear really necessary or would the 5 speed just do me well? What do you all think?

Thanks...
The 5 speed will do very well indeed. I personally rather have a 6 speed but if you can't fit your budget then the 5 speed is just perfect, no significant performance disavantages from a 5 to 6 speed and viceversa.

The main difference is how much smoother the 6 speed on the MR engages vs the 5 speed.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

i rather have a 6 speed but i couldnt afford the extra 5 grand. so i took the 5 speed and i'm happy with it for now. its good as a daily driver too
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is not $5000 more, it is more like $4500 but you get a heck of a package.

Off course, you are assuming the general concept that going from 5 spedd to 6 speed is just $5000 but you actually get a whole lot more and for less money($4500).
Old Jan 9, 2006, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
The 5 speed will do very well indeed. I personally rather have a 6 speed but if you can't fit your budget then the 5 speed is just perfect, no significant performance disavantages from a 5 to 6 speed and viceversa.

The main difference is how much smoother the 6 speed on the MR engages vs the 5 speed.
i really wish people would get it outta their heads about a performance advantage/disadvantage.

If you go up to the top of the thread, i posted the max speed in gears. Above 3rd gear, the 6 speed has 2 gears in place of the 1 for the 5 speed.

"but you never use 4th and 5th at WOT, street racer"

Yes, Yes i do. On sebring, i'm sitting in 5th gear for a good amount of time, cooking at 120+ down the straights. While a slightly taller (as in the 5 spd) 4th gear could help me at turn 17, i exit the corner in 4, and shift to 5. At the same point the 5 spd is in top gear, and that gear is a LUG. When i shift to 5th, i go from 7500 to right at 6 grand. When you do that in the 5 speed, you drop from 7500 to 5200...and you've got a long wind ahead of you

Performance doesn't come into fact until you're over 100. So there is a difference, but not one you'd normally see in daily driving.

I didn't want leather, and i was 50/50 to a sunroof, but my evo HAD to have HID. Theres simply no excuse not to Couple that up with some sweet stock wheels, a 6 speed, and a very capable suspension, and you have a pretty darn good car.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

well see i want a sunroof because my acura has one now and i love having that novelty. And the leather, to me, is a nice feature. the Vortex Gen, i can buy anywhere. its just the 6-speed i am really 50/50 on. i guess thats my deciding factor then huh?

picking a car is the hardest thing!!!!

Quick Reply: 5 Speed vs 6 Speed?