Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Where can I get Hose clamps that are strong ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where can I get Hose clamps that are strong ?

All I can find are weak ricey hose clamps that cannot withstand the torque required for any decent amount of boost. They usually strip, bend, and pop off the threads when tightened.

Stock, hardware store brand, and automotive clamps just aint robust enough for Evo applications where significant flexing and boost on upwards of 24 psi is achieved.

Does anyone know where to find hose clamps that are wider, thicker, better quality, and can be tightened to at least 12 ft/lbs?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-bolt clamps is what you need. But be aware that you can break these too. Tighten too much and you will snap the threaded stud, I did it before.

Last edited by IB Jason; Apr 20, 2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

www.mcmaster.com

They have T-bolts and will ship to you. Their clamps come from Clampco and as long as you pick the right ones are 100% stainless steel. Oh yeah and you can definitly still break the bolt off and then you have ruined a 10 dollar clamp. You can also crush the pipe that you are trying to tighten around.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.fluidcontrol.net/pages/connectors.html
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

believe it or not napa carries em... also carries another type of stonger worm-type clamps as well. and fairly cheap (5 bucks iirc?)
Old Jan 5, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great, thanks for the response

I plan to replace every single darn pressurized fitting with these.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

i just replaced all my intercooler hose clamps with the upgraded stainless steel ones from RRE. three bucks each. can torque them to some stupid amount, like 150 ft-lbs.

but if you're on stock pipiing, you can break the pipes VERY easily...
Old Jan 5, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

If you're going to buy T-Bolt clamps, be sure to get the spring loaded "constant torque" versions.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Napa has them if you have one near by
Old Jan 5, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@Forge
If you're going to buy T-Bolt clamps, be sure to get the spring loaded "constant torque" versions.
why does it matter?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I prefer the constant torque ones if going with Breeze, they are pretty rowdy. Also don't be affraid to source out your parts on your own. You'll end up saving by getting them from napa. Take it from me, it's very convinient to be able to swap out a clamp around the corner if you find that the diameter needed is an odd size

info on the constant torque clamps straight from Breeze.

"Breeze 'Constant-Torque' Clamping System is an active pressure-compensating clamp.

Virtually all rubber hose compresses "cold flow" after installation of a clamping device, resulting in an almost immediate torque loss that can exceed 80% of installation torque. Similarly, virtually all metal connections expand as a system heats up, and then contracts as the system cools. Conventional worm-gear, T-Bolt, and other clamps are passive, in that expansion and contraction of components cannot be compensated for without retightening or loosening the clamps. This Breeze clamping system is an "active" clamp mechanism, which monitors and then compensates for the temperature changes by actually changing diameter through a unique worm-gear Belleville assembly."

edit: Most never think of the damage done to your rather pricey silicone couplings by the sharp edges of all of these different hose clamps when pressure really starts getting put on them. I personally prefer to use the Swedish made clamps from ABA we and Corky Bell use. I have them pretty much everywhere on my car's system except for the lower i/c pipe. That's where I utilize the Breeze constant torque clamps since there is so much thermal and pressure stress in those coupling areas.

edit: Some info from ABA.

"ABA Hose Clamps

The rolled -up band edges prevent it from cutting into the tube and turbo hose. The stamped threads leave the inside of the clamp smooth and eliminate friction between the hose and the band thus the clamp will seal completely over 360 degrees. Thread engagement gives strength and reliability thus the square threads of the screw are rolled and those on the band stamped. The 6º thread pitch angle results in a vibration resistant hose clamp."
Attached Thumbnails Where can I get Hose clamps that are strong ?-ctbig.gif  
Attached Images   

Last edited by mitsuorder; Jan 5, 2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
I prefer the constant torque ones if going with Breeze, they are pretty rowdy. Also don't be affraid to source out your parts on your own. You'll end up saving by getting them from napa. Take it from me, it's very convinient to be able to swap out a clamp around the corner if you find that the diameter needed is an odd size

info on the constant torque clamps straight from Breeze.

"Breeze "Constant-Torque" Clamping System is an active pressure-compensating clamp.

Virtually all rubber hose compresses "cold flow" after installation of a clamping device, resulting in an almost immediate torque loss that can exceed 80% of installation torque. Similarly, virtually all metal connections expand as a system heats up, and then contracts as the system cools. Conventional worm-gear, T-Bolt, and other clamps are passive, in that expansion and contraction of components cannot be compensated for without retightening or loosening the clamps. This Breeze clamping system is an "active" clamp mechanism, which monitors and then compensates for the temperature changes by actually changing diameter through a unique worm-gear Belleville assembly."

edit: Most never think of the damage done to your rather pricey silicone couplings by the sharp edges of all of these different hose clamps when pressure really starts getting put on them. I personally prefer to use the Swedish made clamps from ABA we and Corky Bell use. I have them pretty much everywhere on my car's system except for the lower i/c pipe. That's where I utilize the Breeze constant torque clamps since there is so much thermal and pressure stress in those coupling areas.
i actually do need to go to napa to pick up a couple. the ones between the DV and the Up pipe (small size) and the one right at the turbo outlet pipe.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Adel Wiggins clamp's are is the way to go!

Last edited by IB Jason; Apr 20, 2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Reine
Adel Wiggins clamp's are is the way to go!
how do you install these? Do you have to weld on flanges?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by voidhawk
how do you install these? Do you have to weld on flanges?
Yes you have. They are very expensive, but can hold anything you throw at them!

Quick Reply: Where can I get Hose clamps that are strong ?