Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

serious problem with Injen intake

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had no issues with mine and I run 24 PSI
Old Jan 5, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dollars 2 donuts it was human error that just finally failed.
Mine didn't line up quite right and I had to make some "Adjustments."

good hoses, good clamps and good fitment will mitigate risk.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes i 2nd everyone else... it has happened more than a couple time to me.... you really have to tighten the clamps down HARD.... once they've been removed, it seems you have to tighten them down twice as hard as they were originally or they'll blow off. If you can, try to clamp down around the hose next to where it was originally clamped, that way you are creating a new seal. Otherwise, tighten it as hard as you can just before the clamp starts to warp.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Same thing happened to me a few months ago, I thought I blew something up in my engine. Make sure when you tighten the clamps down that they are lined up properly and not off-centered one way or another, sometimes you cant see the other side of the piping and coupling that you are trying to tighten down and actually dont tighten down on all of piping but instead near the edge. I have re-aligned my clamps and have yet to seem them pop off and I'm running at 26psi and using the same injen i/c piping kit.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Whoever installed your IC piping probably didn't seat the hose properly and/or didn't tighten the clamp enough.
That is probably what happened. So i guess you might wanna make sure they seat properly and you tighten the clamps well, and if that doesn't work you might have to get t-bolt clamps. The only thing you need to worry about is that most t-bolt clamps are too wide for the coupler for the throttlebody.

I have the injen intake and have never had it pop off. I have been running 30lbs of boost on it too.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

My stock couplings came off once I installed a BOV and Filter when i first got my Evo 2 years ago becuase the shop that welded my BOV Flange didnt tighten the couplings. I switched over to the Injen Intake/Upper IC like a year and a half and never had problems with the couplings blowing off. I use to run 24 PSi but now I have a leak or my sparks are getting blown out or something...dont have time to check the problem and my Evo is a daily driver...
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

well today i retighten them. plus added a lil liqiud loctite to the clamps so it should hold i hope. if not then im going to end up buying some heavy duty ones.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donmeca2020
well today i retighten them. plus added a lil liqiud loctite to the clamps so it should hold i hope. if not then im going to end up buying some heavy duty ones.
dude, just buy some t-clamps, they'll solve 90% of the problem.

on track, i only boost 16-17 psi, and yet, i've blown the pipe off the turbo side of the intercooler twice, the second time, even with the t-bolt clamp.

the stuff gets hot and squeezes around. you'll learn how to easily diagnose a boost leak/blown piping.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

that **** came off again when i was driving. im bout to get some new clamps and maybe new rubber pieces as soon as i get get up tommorrow
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:08 PM

yeah the stock throttle body area isint long enough to get a good grip on it happend to me 4 times on the side of 95, for 1 1/2 hours lookin for the hoes clamp i later zip tied the hose clamp to the strut bar so when it blows off its right there. but the answer is t-bolt hose clamps works great no problems recomend replacing all when ur at it. There a lot stronger and help with cars with more boost if u watch the stock hoses under pressure they look like balloons. heres a site i found that sells the hose clamps http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=400304+303986

Last edited by rhodeislandrast; Jan 5, 2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

yea i might try going to napa today. and buying some of those T - clamps. i mean i dont want that happening to me while i drive to work
Old Jan 6, 2006, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
yea i might try going to napa today. and buying some of those T - clamps. i mean i dont want that happening to me while i drive to work
It also happened to me a few times. I bought some T-bolts and havent had any problem in a year, no matter the boost! get new clamps and thats all!
Old Jan 6, 2006, 08:01 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Deja Vu! Haha, hey man, same thing happened to me several days ago and as you know, I am completely stock IX. I wasn't on it and all of a sudden I lost power in my car. I pulled over and saw that the clamp on the throttle body had become loose. I tightened it up, or so I thought and on the way back home I gave it 50% throttle and the damn thing popped again, although this time it made a big bang and scared the **** out of me as I thought I blew something. You really got to tighten those bishes up!
Old Jan 6, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

T-Bolt clamps, the intake falling of or becoming loose happens to almost everybody, if it hasnt happened to u yet its bound to happen, Napa sells all sorts of t-bolt clamps and thyer about 4$ a piece go out and invest in some of those and you wont have the problem no more

And always carry some tools with u
Old Jan 6, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

I have had this happen with the stock IC piping. Check the clamp.

Quick Reply: serious problem with Injen intake