Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

serious problem with Injen intake

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
serious problem with Injen intake

well gentlemen, this morning as i was coming home from work, i had a nice long stretch of empty road. so i decide to to punch in WOT. as i was about shift into 3rd gear i hear a loud pop!. so it scared the hell outa me. next thing i see service engine light soon and the low oil light came on for one second. next thing happens is i pushed the throttle and my car was going no where. well as i finally waiting for a mitsu road side assitance to get me a flat bed which didnt get there til a quarter to 9 and when i called it was about 6 in the morning. anyways i look under the hood and see one of the rubber pieces that connect the upper intercooler pipiing to the throttle body is off the throttle body. and then as i reconnect and re tighten i start driven home and the another rubber piece comes loose. this time near the upper to the lower piping? my question is has this ever happened to anyone? and also now i have a check engine light and i hope i didnt damage anything. i just reconnected everything tight as possible. thanks for any info guys
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

I don't undertand what this has to do with an injen intake????
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
I don't undertand what this has to do with an injen intake????
ok.... looking at your mods, you say you have an injen upper intercooler pipe (different than the injen intake listed in teh title thread). Have you installed this piece yet? And is this where the problem of the couplings coming lose is? Or, are you still using the factory upper intercooler piping?
Evolved Member

what is has to do is why the hell did the rubber pieces blow off at WOT when they were fully tightened and what not. i know i installed correctly but as soon as i pressed it today this happens. either the clamps arent strong enough or something. but i know for a fact that i tightened those suckers .
Evolving Member

It is the stock crap clamps that are your problem. I had it happen to me twice at the throttle body. I went out bought a spring load T clamp for 5 buck at a place that sells parts for rigs and have never had a problem since. I have heard of other people having the same issue on the intercooler has well. It sounds like to me that you have both problems replace the clamps and you should be fine.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

He prob. mean the intake with UICP....Yes this happends a lot if the clamps aren't tightend good enough. Make sure to get a set a t-bolt clamps and wrench those Fu<kers!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

how much boost are you pushing? If the couplers are blowing it tells me either A) you are boosting to much or B) you didn't tighten them enough
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

why would injen equip one of their products with such garbage clamps. well now i well be keepin an eye on those. if the problem occurs again. then i will look for some heavy duty ones.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Crimson - im only on stock boost for an 05 gsr, they were also tighten very well
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Ive seen and heard those pipes blow apart on dyno runs all the time. Ive seen on ebay packs of ten Tbolt clamps go for $30 buy it now price everyday. Unless you rather buy one for $6 at pepboys.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

This happened to me too a few times-it was the biggest pain in the *** ever. Just go buy some T bold clamps and tighten the crap out of them and youll be fine. i havent had a problem since.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Whoever installed your IC piping probably didn't seat the hose properly and/or didn't tighten the clamp enough. This is not an uncommon thing to see. Happened to me twice so far...

l8r)
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

I just blew my LICP off last night and it sucked! Stupid me forgot to put a hose clamp on (needs 4, i used 3) and hit the gas going up hill. POP! and then... put put put. Nothing worse than driving a 30k car down the street at 2 mphs with the flashers on and smoke everywhere
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Step 1 T-bolt from NAPA
Step 2 Boost leak test http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html
Step 3 injoy not wasting any boost
Old Jan 5, 2006, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by walkedu
I just blew my LICP off last night and it sucked! Stupid me forgot to put a hose clamp on (needs 4, i used 3) and hit the gas going up hill. POP! and then... put put put. Nothing worse than driving a 30k car down the street at 2 mphs with the flashers on and smoke everywhere
yea i can relate to that. after that POP!! im trying to make it far as possible going like super slow but the car felt like it was gonna just die on me. i think i might invest into some of those t clamps like you all were saying. i hope that will correct the problem for good.

Quick Reply: serious problem with Injen intake