Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Air bags

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air bags

Figured I would ask if anyone knows anything about our stock airbags... I need to remove mine but dont know if there is a proper/safe way to do it. I also will need to keep the airbag covers (So I dont have a big hole in my dash and steering wheel). Anyone done this? Anyone know where all the sensors/ecu are located so I can rip all that stuff out as well? Please dont tell me how unsafe this is either. Thanks guys!
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its unsafe

R u changing the steering wheel?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Not right now... I like the stocker but the airbag I presume is technically the round black part in the center of it... so I will most likely need to cut the bag and leave the plastic-type center there if at all possible.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:34 AM
adx
Evolving Member

There is always a way to remove airbags. I assisted my buddy with a Jetta, in removing every airbag in the car (race car). Along with the bags, we removed the controllers (inside and out) and all the fuses for it. At the end, we had a check airbag light for about 5 mins. After that, it never came back on or throw another airbag code.

Highly recommended to just disconnect the battery and ground yourself before servicing airbags. My sister used to work for OEA (Original Equipment Airbags) in Colorado, and a lady less than 20 feet away from her set off an airbag on the test bench (not properly grounded) and injured not only herself, but a couple others.

Good luck.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Its much easier to just take out the airbag than the whole steering wheel... Ive removed mine for long time now...

What I did was disconnect my battery and waited for about 20 minutes, Popped out the plastic ring around the airbag and everything else is easy from there.. just un screw and unplug.. if I remember there is about 3 bolts in there and one ground and one plug... its about a 5 minute job
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Good deal.. thanks for the info. Now how about the other one? The dash is going to be out of the car for the roll cage install so thats not a problem. What about the Airbag ECU? I know where a few of the sensors are but dont know where the ECU for it all is. Also, when you removed the airbag did you have to lose the black center piece of the wheel or could you put it back in?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

that black center piece is a part of the airbag... if you remove the airbag that piece will come with it... i never had this problem since i replaced the whole column and steering wheel... the fuse part i wouldnt know since i never got to it
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:33 PM

the airbag ecu is below the ashtray if i remember correctly
Old Jan 18, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

what's the reason for removing them?
out of curiousity
Old Jan 18, 2006, 01:57 PM
Account Disabled

u could sell those and get some parts.

they're expensive on the market.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Where to sell these?

Im removing them for weight.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Where to sell these?

Im removing them for weight.

Damn. Going all out I see. I'll have to cruise out to Madison one of these days.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:51 PM
Account Disabled

they're like a grand each or more.

ebay or dealerships.

it'll sell. then again, you got gt35 with mad cash money millionair. heh.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Im happy now I found some more ways to recover at least a little bit of the cost of all these damned parts.

Yes I will be putting in lots of parts by this summer hopefully. Most likely a built motor/head, slicks, finish the roll cage installation, gut alot of uneeded parts (Door beams, under dash, air bags, etc..). A fuel cell should be installed with the A100 pump sometime soon. Thinking of redoing the whole turbo setup. Swapping intercoolers and intake plumbing.

This car is stupid compared to my crap last year.... I finally figured out that I had a gaping whole in the upper intercooler pipe. You could visually see through it. Somehow the pos still ran that 11.5. Now the car has a real clutch, the EMS and methanol. Once I get the weight down to hopefully 2800 it should be finally hitting some decent times.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 09:49 PM
adx
Evolving Member

Usually, the airbag controller (conveinently located in the center of the car, typically around the shifter area) is the one that sets off the service Airbag light. Ive seen it a couple times where it actually goes to the ECU (The Jetta) but once everything was disconnected, it was all gravy.

Practically anything with yellow tape wrapped around it signifies its part of the SRS system. On the Jetta, we located all the exterior shock sensors for the airbags, plus the 2 controllers inside.

Quick example is the little yellow plug, next the headlights, under the hood. That is one of a couple sensors on the Evo. Of course, both sides has it.

Quick Reply: Air bags