Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Test = Bad 0'2's?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2006, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Pipe = Bad o2 sensor????????/

I have been running my UR test pipe for a year now with absolutely no issues, the car was flashed by TT and I have never had an SES until now, I scanned it and it identified the rear 02 sensor although the scanner still shows a reading coming from the sensor. My first thought was that the wiring in the sensor might have gone bad because I never extended the wires or rerouted them when I installed the TP.Therefor there is a bit of tension on them thus maybe causing the wires inside to break although the insulation looks intact, but the scanner shows a real time reading comiing from the sensor so the wiring must be intact....right?
So my questions are....
1) Can the sensor just be partially functional therefore causing the code?

2) Does runnning a test pipe mean that I'm goin to buy a new 02 sensor every year?

3) Is there a way to test the sensor?

4) Should I buy a stock sensor or is there a better one out there that you guys recommend?

This happened 2 days after getting my ACT installed so is there anything they could have done that has anything to do with this?

Last edited by nyrican; Jan 19, 2006 at 07:17 AM. Reason: title error
Old Jan 19, 2006, 07:31 AM

Anyone???
Old Jan 19, 2006, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nyrican
I have been running my UR test pipe for a year now with absolutely no issues, the car was flashed by TT and I have never had an SES until now, I scanned it and it identified the rear 02 sensor although the scanner still shows a reading coming from the sensor. My first thought was that the wiring in the sensor might have gone bad because I never extended the wires or rerouted them when I installed the TP.Therefor there is a bit of tension on them thus maybe causing the wires inside to break although the insulation looks intact, but the scanner shows a real time reading comiing from the sensor so the wiring must be intact....right?
So my questions are....
1) Can the sensor just be partially functional therefore causing the code?

The sensor can be have a certain circuit bad but still work as a o2 sensor would. Such as: you can have a bad o2 sensor heater circuit but still have the sensor working. But it would throw a code for that particular circuit rather than the o2 sensor itself.

2) Does runnning a test pipe mean that I'm goin to buy a new 02 sensor every year?

I am not sure why you threw a o2 sensor code when you should have thrown a catalytic converter code. Do you have a o2 fix or is the sensor screwed into the exhaust like normal?

3) Is there a way to test the sensor?

You can test for continuity to make sure all the wires are in fact intact.

4) Should I buy a stock sensor or is there a better one out there that you guys recommend?

I say make sure the sensor is actually bad before you go out and buy another one since they are pretty pricey from the dealer ($2XX). If you do have to end up buying one i would spend that money for a wideband and get one that has a narrowband signal output and get rid of the stock one all together.

This happened 2 days after getting my ACT installed so is there anything they could have done that has anything to do with this?
Good luck. I put my "answers" in your quote.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:54 AM

Thanx for the answers, and to add more details the UR test pipe has an elbow fitting that places the o2 sensor out of the direct flow of the exhaust and from what I researched it was the one least likely to throw the 02 code.And about the continuity check, it would be kinda difficult because the if the wire is broken inside then I have no way to probe inthe ere. Also Again thanx for the input.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:52 PM

Anyone else???
Old Jan 19, 2006, 01:19 PM

Bump?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nyrican
Thanx for the answers, and to add more details the UR test pipe has an elbow fitting that places the o2 sensor out of the direct flow of the exhaust and from what I researched it was the one least likely to throw the 02 code.And about the continuity check, it would be kinda difficult because the if the wire is broken inside then I have no way to probe inthe ere. Also Again thanx for the input.
For continuity you will basically put one end of the probe on one end and the other end of the second probe on the other end. If there is continuity between the wires (beep) then the wires are intact, if it doesnt beep and you know you are probing into the wires, then the wire is messed up. To find where it is "cut/split" you just work your way on down the wire until you find where it is. Good luck.

Aaron
Old Jan 19, 2006, 02:47 PM

i had my os go bad