Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My likes and dislikes of the Buschur Motor mounts.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2006 | 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

I'm probably going to get yelled at in the morning for making a reply in this thread after I have been asked not to, but I want to clarify ONE thing.

As the company that distributes the Powerflex bushings, we also work with David Buschur and his team on a regular basis and greatly appreciate their wealth of knowledge and experience, and we also value the time and effort involved in the products that they offer.

With that said, all this talk of shore hardness, durometer ratings, etc. (which I knew would come up) has little bearing on what each product has been advertised to do and what they actually do.

We promoted the Powerflex bushings as limiting engine movement, improving shifting feel, and throttle response while potentially adding some vibrations. This is what they do

Buschur advertised his mounts as doing the same, and they do their job as advertised.

The actual differences between the products may seem large on paper and based on the scales provided and shown, but in reality, the differences in added vibrations and the amount of engine movement that is eliminated are so similar that it's hardly worth comparing. Both bushings should provide virtually identical results that many people would have a hard time distinguishing between while sitting in the driver's seat.

Everyone must accept a level of give and take when installing a product of this nature and a level of added vibration is going to be a given.

I'm glad the debate exsists and that everyone is constructively discussing the products in a civil manner, as is often not the case, but I'm also glad that people have options to choose from.

I just don't want this (again, constructive) debate to turn into a product war. We have nothing against Buschur and his products, and based on discussions between he and myself, I know he feels the same way.
Old Jan 29, 2006 | 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

I agree 100% with you Mike. Which is my arguement on the hardness and our engineers comments, the difference is going to be so slight that he doesn't feel either will be "softer".

Thanks and it is nice working with you guys.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 30, 2006 | 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@Forge
I'm probably going to get yelled at in the morning for making a reply in this thread after I have been asked not to, but I want to clarify ONE thing.

As the company that distributes the Powerflex bushings, we also work with David Buschur and his team on a regular basis and greatly appreciate their wealth of knowledge and experience, and we also value the time and effort involved in the products that they offer.

With that said, all this talk of shore hardness, durometer ratings, etc. (which I knew would come up) has little bearing on what each product has been advertised to do and what they actually do.

We promoted the Powerflex bushings as limiting engine movement, improving shifting feel, and throttle response while potentially adding some vibrations. This is what they do

Buschur advertised his mounts as doing the same, and they do their job as advertised.

The actual differences between the products may seem large on paper and based on the scales provided and shown, but in reality, the differences in added vibrations and the amount of engine movement that is eliminated are so similar that it's hardly worth comparing. Both bushings should provide virtually identical results that many people would have a hard time distinguishing between while sitting in the driver's seat.

Everyone must accept a level of give and take when installing a product of this nature and a level of added vibration is going to be a given.

I'm glad the debate exsists and that everyone is constructively discussing the products in a civil manner, as is often not the case, but I'm also glad that people have options to choose from.

I just don't want this (again, constructive) debate to turn into a product war. We have nothing against Buschur and his products, and based on discussions between he and myself, I know he feels the same way.
Very professional responses Mike and Dave, this is the kind of thread I enjoy participating in.

Just wanted to point out though Mike, I posted those scales and technical info to show that, if on the same scale the hardness difference is linear and not as dramatic as earlier made out to be. And if they are not on the same scale, they could be close to the same hardness or wildly different. Listing a durometer number without mentioning what scale it's on is simply not enough data.

Dave, I am very happy with your mount in my car. I will be installing the rear mount at some point and I will respond with the differences it has made as well.

- Steve
Old Jan 30, 2006 | 06:38 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Mike@Forge
When have you tested the BR mount in your car Mike or any other for that matter? Or are you speaking about a product that you have not tested yourself?

We spoke about durometer, gave our input on pliability and appreciate the durometer sample scale posted by superhatch. According to that scale, the Powerflex is hard and the BR mount is extra hard.

I think the only info the thread needs now is an actual back to back test of both mounts as no one has provided yet. Voidhawk has sold his BR unit for a powerflex and should be able to share his input shortly. We are standing by for his input, whether favorable or unfavorable to the Powerflex units.
Old Jan 30, 2006 | 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
When have you tested the BR mount in your car Mike or any other for that matter? Or are you speaking about a product that you have not tested yourself?

We spoke about durometer, gave our input on pliability and appreciate the durometer sample scale posted by superhatch. According to that scale, the Powerflex is hard and the BR mount is extra hard.

I think the only info the thread needs now is an actual back to back test of both mounts as no one has provided yet. Voidhawk has sold his BR unit for a powerflex and should be able to share his input shortly. We are standing by for his input, whether favorable or unfavorable to the Powerflex units.
However, The ratings on that scale are subjective. If you shifted the "hard" zone 5 points to the left or right both mounts would fall into either category. You can't technically describe anything with a subjective term such as "hard".

I'm not arguing the fact that they're different, just how different is the real question, and as you said it can't really be defined until someone who has used both gives a comprehensive review.

- Steve
Old Feb 2, 2006 | 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

I just got my motor mount installed last night. Ive got 272's in my evo, so the idle is not great to begin with. After installing the motor mount, I felt NO more vibration than before. I was expecing the car to vibrate a lot based on what everyone was saying, but i did not feel a single bit of extra vibration. Unfortunately, the mount did not fix my 1-2 shift problem. It did, however, make all other shifts much smoother and easier. Low speed first/second gear driving is a t iny bit smoother, but not very noticable. When i let off the gas quickly in higher gears (3,4,5) the car doesnt jerk nearly as much as it did before. Overall, i am fairly pleased with the motor mount. No vibrations and better shifting for a very reasonable price.
Old Feb 2, 2006 | 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input nnorris. I'm glad you have noticed any more vibration but I would say that is not going to be the same for everyone. The mount should transmit some additional vibration, glad it did not for you though

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Feb 2, 2006 | 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

I drove the car this morning when it was cold, and i still did not feel any extra vibration. On/off throttle is much smoother though and its a much nicer ride now.
Old Mar 7, 2006 | 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

I'll be installing a Powerflex this week. I'll post results shortly after.

I'd also like to see a side-by-side comparo of identical cars, or a "one-then-the-other" comparison in the same car. Any other mods between two different cars could corrupt the interpretation of vibrations, movement, and feel.

good thread.
Old Mar 7, 2006 | 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

i just installed the agency power mount and it is a great piece if you don't mind spending $120 on it. it is the complete mount, not just an insert and the casing is billet aluminum with red polyurethane and stainless sleeve, it replaces the whole factory mount which makes it a breeze to install and i'm very happy with it. i considered BR's and the powerflex but didn't want to destroy my stock mount in case something breaks and mitsu says my motor mount caused it. i forgot if it's 80 or 90 durameter. vivdracing and horsepowerfreaks sell em and HPF has pictures, do a search.