Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3l stroker questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a problem with my car too.. it doesn't start
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
Wait your a Mitsu tech and you don't know whats going on with the product people expect you to know about I really don't get it. And you work on Evo's? I would say beware people in South FL. I think you should find a new line of work, just my personal opinion.
what, are you serious?????
since when does mitsu use forge pistons for its techs to know how there supposed to sound like!!!!!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Well,since when tells their tech to find an answer on evoM forum.Ironic isnt it...

Originally Posted by elhalisf
since when does mitsu use forge pistons for its techs to know how there supposed to sound like!!!!!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elhalisf

Read a book??? He said he wants to work on modded evo's and with my expert biased opinion, I think that might be a bad choice.

Im still waiting for Warrtalon and his *** kissing group to show up.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsitech
ok guys, the newbie has another question......i did a search and didnt find what i need......anyway like i said in othet post, i work at a mitsu dealer in sw florida, and am trying to do some work on modded evos....i like doing it and the dealer will let me do it within reason....
anyway here is the question......i have a customer that brought in an 05 evo mr for an a/c problem which was a quick fix, but talking to him i find out that he has a 2.3 stroker motor in car, with alot of other the things done also.....this car is no joke!
anyway, my only concern for him is that it has a knock/ rattle type sound in motor that reminds me of the old 2.2 2.5 chysler engines(piston slap)...if anyone remembers those....
i brought it to his attention as he told me that he was told it is normal???
the company that installed it is chicago, i think i was ADP or something like that....im sure you guys know them, they did the stroker, a different turbo, piping, tuning....was a major project for them....does this sound right to anyone, any info would be helpful. i hate to see this guy spend that type of cash(it was alot) and have it grenade on him.
thanks for any help guys....
He may have had his balance shafts eliminated. That might be responsible for some of the noise, might have a loose or broken engine mount, exhaust system.

Did you put a large screw driver on the block to listen for differences?

AMS is in the Chicago area and they make a nice kit. Call Eric or Martin over there. www.automotosports.com. They'll know a lot more than most of us here on the boards.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is awesome.. A tech selling us our own theories at Mitsu certified rates.

If I were the tech, I would ask the customer which company the kit came from rather than asking us who it might be. Then I would call that company and speak to one of there techs to get information about whether what I was seeing/hearing was normal.

If I were the customer I would be taking my car to a different shop as fast as those slap-happy pistons would take me.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

the tech was doing AC work for the customer, thats all. the customer never asked the tech about the engine noise.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

i don't think that you should knock the tech hes trying to help out other evo owners by doing warranty work on otherwise unwarrantable cars...the least we could do is appreciate some one who is willing to give a helping hand...i mean i have countless friends who needed warranty work on their evos, whether it be brakes or AC ect, and the dealerships just look at them and laugh because they have a blowoff value or an exhaust..hes trying to do people a favor. If its an AMS kit (which if its from chicago it has to be)they use balance shaft eliminators....which can justify the sound your hearing...but like it was stated before just give AMS a call!!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 06:59 PM

i appreciate the guys that stood up for me, and to all the others if you read i was only asking a question to see if anyone had experience with this problem on this particular engine package. i did not go too far into the noise because the customer said he was told it was normal. as far as the other comment about taking your car to another shop...go right ahead!!!! if you want to be like that. fine.
just remember, im the guy that might have fixed your modded evo evo under warranty when no one else would touch it
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by dryad001
Wait your a Mitsu tech and you don't know whats going on with the product people expect you to know about I really don't get it. And you work on Evo's? I would say beware people in South FL. I think you should find a new line of work, just my personal opinion.
i must reply to this one too.....i have never had 1 problem when working on a stock mitsu....but i dont happen to have any manuals on the cars that some of you screw up, and expect me to fix under warranty
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

hey man...if i ever need some work i might have to stop by...is there anyway you can hook me up with new calipers...my buddy was helping me bleed the brakes after we upgraded the lines and **** and pretty much took the paint right off them!!

Last edited by evolved69; Jan 24, 2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
but i dont happen to have any manuals on the cars that some of you screw up, and expect me to fix under warranty
That is funny. A motorhead and a comedian. Me likey.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by evolved69
hey man...if i ever need some work i might have to stop by...is there anyway you can hook me up with new calipers...my buddy was helping me bleed the brakes after we upgraded the lines and **** and pretty much took the paint right off them!!
how many miles on car?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

i must reply to this one too.....i have never had 1 problem when working on a stock mitsu....but i dont happen to have any manuals on the cars that some of you screw up, and expect me to fix under warranty
You work for a mitsu service dept that doesn't have service manuals?

People claiming warranty they don't deserve is a whole other issue.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evolved69
Did you ever hear what a wonderfully effective paint stripper brake fluid is?

Quick Reply: 2.3l stroker questions