Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3l stroker questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atlvalet
That is funny. A motorhead and a comedian. Me likey.
+1

Jesus christ,is that guy for real?No manuals?How the hell is he going to find at least a part # ?Duh,I got it.He'll use "EVO part # request "on evoM
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mitsitech
i must reply to this one too.....i have never had 1 problem when working on a stock mitsu....but i dont happen to have any manuals on the cars that some of you screw up, and expect me to fix under warranty

I have never asked for warrenty work. I try to do everything myself. If you say you want to work on modded cars don't you think that you should do research into higher performance motors? Instead of coming to the internet for answers (not a good place to start) There have been a number of shops that have proved themselves over the years, not just with Evo's but with dsm's why not call them up and ask some basic questions or ask them for some type of literature where you can get up to date with everything.

I have a friggin library of engine manuals in my house, I want to see how many different theories of engine building are the most common and then base my own personal decision of what I learned. Plus I have called up numerous shops with off the wall questions to see what their input might be. Geez do a little leg work if you want answers. It gets kinda tiring sifting through all the crap on this forum.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by dryad001
I have never asked for warrenty work. I try to do everything myself. If you say you want to work on modded cars don't you think that you should do research into higher performance motors? Instead of coming to the internet for answers (not a good place to start) There have been a number of shops that have proved themselves over the years, not just with Evo's but with dsm's why not call them up and ask some basic questions or ask them for some type of literature where you can get up to date with everything.

I have a friggin library of engine manuals in my house, I want to see how many different theories of engine building are the most common and then base my own personal decision of what I learned. Plus I have called up numerous shops with off the wall questions to see what their input might be. Geez do a little leg work if you want answers. It gets kinda tiring sifting through all the crap on this forum.
ok, for some of you that dont understand humor, the comment about the manuals was JOKE! i have manuals for mitsu's DUH!!

secondly, i was not really trying to research stuff on this forum, i was asking a few questions about things i have seen...if you dont want to answer, or dont know what im taking about, that is fine, but if you are only gonna flame, and act like a a** i prefer you keep your stupid comments to yourself. like i said i was jusk asking a few questions, if there is something i really need to research, i will.
sorry to rant to all of you, but there are some over-opinoinated people here that think they are really smart, but can only show their a**
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

It must be hard to get much out of those books when reading comprehension isn't one of your strengths.
The guy came on here to ask if piston slap was a common thing. He's not building an engine for someone, he's asking a simple question out of curiosity. Show me a book that actually talks about the 4G63 or 4G64 in referance to piston slap, oh waith there are none

Why don't you go off on someone posting about what BOV is the loudest or someone who starts another thread on which downpipe fits a 05 if you're tired of sifting through crap.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

oh boy what fun have i been missing in this thread!
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Nick, this isnt NABR remember. Reading comprehension and ability to articulate arent required here. Sometimes its like Tooners with POS antics, except they arent trying to be funny.

Hurrikain
Aaron
Old Jan 26, 2006, 04:28 PM

artikulashunz
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NDgsx
It must be hard to get much out of those books when reading comprehension isn't one of your strengths.
The guy came on here to ask if piston slap was a common thing. He's not building an engine for someone, he's asking a simple question out of curiosity. Show me a book that actually talks about the 4G63 or 4G64 in referance to piston slap, oh waith there are none

Why don't you go off on someone posting about what BOV is the loudest or someone who starts another thread on which downpipe fits a 05 if you're tired of sifting through crap.

Uhh ouch. Here is my problem with the thread. The thread starter asked a question, fine thats what happens here. Then he admits he is a tech, fine. Then he states that he wants to work on modified cars, not fine. Then I get these 2 NABR people whining about my comments. If you don't like my comments you can block what I say it's real easy. Do you want me to post up a link for you? Oh wait you have reading comprehension, my fault. And where did I say a book will referance a Mitsu engine piston slap? Maybe you don't have very good comprehension, my mistake.

On to your second paragraphs answer. Nah it's people like you and your buddy JohnBradley I want to irritate.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:30 PM

Here is my problem with you dryad001 you said not to come to the internet for info on high perf. engines but do some leg work and travel to some shops; well then why does this forum even exist if it is not meant to be useful in anyway? Why would this tech be asking for info on something he is not even working on, wait that sounds like leg work to me and not only leg work but going the extra mile to help someone out before they even know they need help. Before you go on ranting about how I am a noob let me tell you that I am not, I just search for what I need on the very place you said not to and so far I have gotten
everything I needed so I have never needed to post anything until I had to sift through the crap you left. Maybe if all the post didn't say use the search people would not ask again.

Mitsitech go on doing what you are doing and someday you will be thanked for all the leg work you are doing.

I cant believe I wasted my first post on this.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:25 PM

Uhh ouch. Here is my problem with the thread. The thread starter asked a question, fine thats what happens here. Then he admits he is a tech, fine. Then he states that he wants to work on modified cars, not fine. Then I get these 2 NABR people whining about my comments. If you don't like my comments you can block what I say it's real easy. Do you want me to post up a link for you? Oh wait you have reading comprehension, my fault. And where did I say a book will referance a Mitsu engine piston slap? Maybe you don't have very good comprehension, my mistake.

On to your second paragraphs answer. Nah it's people like you and your buddy JohnBradley I want to irritate.
sorry if it hard to understand you, but you talk like a 16 year old....if you are so good with mitsu's, i think we have an opening for another mitsu tech.......oh wait, you are smarter then all the mitsu techs, nevermind...
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Wow,You are soo funny Well as for majority of the ppl you dont understand ,please be carefull b4 you start working on any car.You are NOT the ONE who makes a call either You are going to work on modified car or not.YOUR BOSS DOES!!!!!!So please make sure it is OK before you do so.As for so called "crap"dryad001 left (???),lets recap.Is there something i am missing or somebody is trying to do a leg work by twisting himself into position of a last resort,because HEY NOBODY IS GOING TO WORK on your modified car except for me .I am the master .I am the tech.Dont get me mad otherwise you wont be able to fix your car anywhere else.Do yourself a favor.Get a life ...

sorry if it hard to understand you, but you talk like a 16 year old....if you are so good with mitsu's, i think we have an opening for another mitsu tech.......oh wait, you are smarter then all the mitsu techs, nevermind...
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
.And where did I say a book will referance a Mitsu engine piston slap? Maybe you don't have very good comprehension, my mistake.

Comprehension- means to understand concepts and relate them to already known facts.

Fact 1- This tech guy wants to know if the noise that he is hearing is piston slap.
Fact 2- You mention a "library" of service manuals.
Fact 3- He has the same resources, but doesnt have an answer for a NON FACTORY SHORTBLOCK.
Fact 4- Mitsitech's observation about your communication skills have merit, and seem to apply to this Vittorio as well
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

You want to irritate the people that know more than you, GO FOR IT BUDDY!
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

ok guys, the newbie has another question......i did a search and didnt find what i need......anyway like i said in othet post, i work at a mitsu dealer in sw florida, and am trying to do some work on modded evos....i like doing it and the dealer will let me do it within reason....
anyway here is the question......i have a customer that brought in an 05 evo mr for an a/c problem which was a quick fix, but talking to him i find out that he has a 2.3 stroker motor in car, with alot of other the things done also.....this car is no joke!
anyway, my only concern for him is that it has a knock/ rattle type sound in motor that reminds me of the old 2.2 2.5 chysler engines(piston slap)...if anyone remembers those....
i brought it to his attention as he told me that he was told it is normal???
the company that installed it is chicago, i think i was ADP or something like that....im sure you guys know them, they did the stroker, a different turbo, piping, tuning....was a major project for them....does this sound right to anyone, any info would be helpful. i hate to see this guy spend that type of cash(it was alot) and have it grenade on him.
thanks for any help guys....
Strokers have (usually) forged pistons. Piston slap is normal with forged pistons when the engine is cold. Once it warms up, it should go away for the most part.

If it doesn't go away when warmed-up, the clearances may have been set a little looser than ideal in expectation of high thermal loads. It could still be ok, but the engine will wear a little more quickly with looser tolerances.

-Adrian

p.s. One of my friends has an old Chrysler 2.5L with JE forged pistons. The piston slap is exactly as you describe in that car as well.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NDgsx
You want to irritate the people that know more than you, GO FOR IT BUDDY!

Jesus, where the hell did you people come from? Have you read what I have posted? Obviously not. Now you just put words into my mouth which I have never stated. I have never said that a person knows more than me, grow up. If you want to go toe to toe with me verbally thats alright, Ill out talk and out wit you any day. Try me.

You know more than me in what?

This is my last post in this thread because there is obviously NDgsx and JohnBradley who obviously habe nothing to give and Im tired of giving responses to my opinion.

Quick Reply: 2.3l stroker questions