Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3l stroker questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2006, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just want tell everyone that had some good feed back about this question....thanks...
i did not start this tread to cause a bunch of little arguments, and certainly not to have have my credibility questioned. like i said before, i was only trying to help someone out.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsitech
ok guys, the newbie has another question......i did a search and didnt find what i need......anyway like i said in othet post, i work at a mitsu dealer in sw florida, and am trying to do some work on modded evos....i like doing it and the dealer will let me do it within reason....
anyway here is the question......i have a customer that brought in an 05 evo mr for an a/c problem which was a quick fix, but talking to him i find out that he has a 2.3 stroker motor in car, with alot of other the things done also.....this car is no joke!
anyway, my only concern for him is that it has a knock/ rattle type sound in motor that reminds me of the old 2.2 2.5 chysler engines(piston slap)...if anyone remembers those....
i brought it to his attention as he told me that he was told it is normal???
the company that installed it is chicago, i think i was ADP or something like that....im sure you guys know them, they did the stroker, a different turbo, piping, tuning....was a major project for them....does this sound right to anyone, any info would be helpful. i hate to see this guy spend that type of cash(it was alot) and have it grenade on him.
thanks for any help guys....
just like it was said previously forged pistons slap when there cold & from what i have seen je pistons slap well all the time but another noise you might be hearing is if he has a multiplate exedy or another brand they make some crazy noises that sound like rod knock or piston slap so it might be that also. i know i have been asked many times about how my motor sounds & it's stock with a exedy clutch. anyway i bet it's fairly normal but some pistons are very good with expansion so the tolerances can be tighter all the time. ask him what parts they used to build the motor
Old Jan 29, 2006, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribed
Mitsitech, you got pm.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

hmm, I was thinking about a 2.3 stroker on my EVO in couple years. Not anytime soon because my engine is solid but I am sure it will be ton of fun with stock turbo and 2.3 engine.

What is piston slap exactly? Does it slap against something?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
hmm, I was thinking about a 2.3 stroker on my EVO in couple years. Not anytime soon because my engine is solid but I am sure it will be ton of fun with stock turbo and 2.3 engine.

+1

I am getting my 2.3 stroker built at JAM right now and I would like to know what to expect. I have never heard of this before.

Originally Posted by SVTMustang Forum
Pistons get very hot with each WOT pull and need to expand, but have nowhere to expand to except into the cylinder walls which dont expand as fast or as much as the pistons, so the pistons and cylinder walls get galled or the piston breaks. The piston (aluminum) will expand quicker than the cylinder walls (iron) so it is very important to be fully warmed up before WOT occurs.
^^^Is this it?

Last edited by nrcooled; Jan 30, 2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

A piston does not magically slide up the cylinder walls. It rocks back and forth (Think pong) along the sides of the cylinder walls and if the clearances are loose, the piston will "slap" the sides of the bore until the engine is warm and the piston expands.

Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63>OOOO
A piston does not magically slide up the cylinder walls. It rocks back and forth (Think pong) along the sides of the cylinder walls and if the clearances are loose, the piston will "slap" the sides of the bore until the engine is warm and the piston expands.

Ya, thanks for the info. I found many info on the web last night. same thing darkhorse told me. 2.3s on EVOs are great but they have to be built very well or the results won't be pleasant. Anyways, I am not doing it anytime soon so I guess I will wait and see what we have first.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsitech
i just want tell everyone that had some good feed back about this question....thanks...
i did not start this tread to cause a bunch of little arguments, and certainly not to have have my credibility questioned. like i said before, i was only trying to help someone out.
I have a built 2.0l from AMS and, yes, between the pistons and twin plate clutch the car sounds TERRIBLE when you first start it up (clutch is worse than the pistons). But once it's warmed up it sounds fine, and after 10 minutes of driving even the clutch chatter goes away almost completely.

l8r)
Old Feb 5, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

from what I have heard and gatherd so far that Ross pistons are not the way to go. they expand too much. I dont have all the info but hope that helps.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

All forged pistons expand to a certain degree, where are you getting your info?
Old Feb 6, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe he was saying their tolerances aren't as tight as others??
Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Az3ar, is it the fact that there are a handful of 700+whp cars running those pistons that makes you doubt them or something else?

Scorke
Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

from what I have heard and gatherd so far that Ross pistons are not the way to go. they expand too much. I dont have all the info but hope that helps.
If anybody has had problems with Ross (or JE, Wiesco, Mahle) or any other high performance forged piston chances are the machining tolerances were wrong in the block, not the piston. Most parts fail b/c of installation/misapplication not do to manufacturing problems.