Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3l stroker questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2006, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3l stroker questions

ok guys, the newbie has another question......i did a search and didnt find what i need......anyway like i said in othet post, i work at a mitsu dealer in sw florida, and am trying to do some work on modded evos....i like doing it and the dealer will let me do it within reason....
anyway here is the question......i have a customer that brought in an 05 evo mr for an a/c problem which was a quick fix, but talking to him i find out that he has a 2.3 stroker motor in car, with alot of other the things done also.....this car is no joke!
anyway, my only concern for him is that it has a knock/ rattle type sound in motor that reminds me of the old 2.2 2.5 chysler engines(piston slap)...if anyone remembers those....
i brought it to his attention as he told me that he was told it is normal???
the company that installed it is chicago, i think i was ADP or something like that....im sure you guys know them, they did the stroker, a different turbo, piping, tuning....was a major project for them....does this sound right to anyone, any info would be helpful. i hate to see this guy spend that type of cash(it was alot) and have it grenade on him.
thanks for any help guys....
Old Jan 22, 2006, 02:51 PM

might be the lifters which are supposedly noisy as hell. Some people have a theory that it is the retainers hitting the valve seals.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 02:59 PM

is it something that is always there? will it eat itself up or just normal?
Old Jan 22, 2006, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

It is hard to tell without actually hearing it. If it were piston slap then i would suggest him taking it back to whoever did his machining work and get the problem resolved since it will only create a bigger problem down the road. It could be the piston manufacturer made them out of spec (too small) but if it was done right then they would have waited until they had the pistons and parts in hand then did whatever machining that had to be done.

Piston slap is not normal.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

It could also be a Exede double or triple clutch in it, they will also make a little noise
even in neutral with your foot off the clutch.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FLAEVO
It could also be a Exede double or triple clutch in it, they will also make a little noise
I was going to suggest the same thing in regards to the clutch. I could be clutch chatter, mine did it lots with my twin exedy disk.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Some aftermarket pistons do have some piston slap when the motor is cold.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by WHTEVO
It is hard to tell without actually hearing it. If it were piston slap then i would suggest him taking it back to whoever did his machining work and get the problem resolved since it will only create a bigger problem down the road. It could be the piston manufacturer made them out of spec (too small) but if it was done right then they would have waited until they had the pistons and parts in hand then did whatever machining that had to be done.

Piston slap is not normal.
when i first heard it, it sounded like a rod knock....deep, heavy, and worse under load.....i thought it strange that the place that did the work told him it was normal

thanks for the replies
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Talking about AMS?
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Off topic but what dealer do you work at?
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FLAEVO

+3
Old Jan 23, 2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 5.slow
Off topic but what dealer do you work at?
p.m. me and i will tell you...dont really want to post it out there.....need work done, or having trouble?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mitsitech
when i first heard it, it sounded like a rod knock....deep, heavy, and worse under load.....i thought it strange that the place that did the work told him it was normal

thanks for the replies

My throwout bearing makes a sound very similar to rod knock. You really hear it when it echos inside a shop. Scared the sh.t out of me when I first noticed it. Try engaging the clutch and see if it stops. If it does you found your problem which is really not a problem just annoying!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Wait, you're not in Pensacola, are you?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mitsitech
ok guys, the newbie has another question......i did a search and didnt find what i need......anyway like i said in othet post, i work at a mitsu dealer in sw florida, and am trying to do some work on modded evos....i like doing it and the dealer will let me do it within reason....
anyway here is the question......i have a customer that brought in an 05 evo mr for an a/c problem which was a quick fix, but talking to him i find out that he has a 2.3 stroker motor in car, with alot of other the things done also.....this car is no joke!
anyway, my only concern for him is that it has a knock/ rattle type sound in motor that reminds me of the old 2.2 2.5 chysler engines(piston slap)...if anyone remembers those....
i brought it to his attention as he told me that he was told it is normal???
the company that installed it is chicago, i think i was ADP or something like that....im sure you guys know them, they did the stroker, a different turbo, piping, tuning....was a major project for them....does this sound right to anyone, any info would be helpful. i hate to see this guy spend that type of cash(it was alot) and have it grenade on him.
thanks for any help guys....
Wait your a Mitsu tech and you don't know whats going on with the product people expect you to know about I really don't get it. And you work on Evo's? I would say beware people in South FL. I think you should find a new line of work, just my personal opinion.

Quick Reply: 2.3l stroker questions