Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I think i Blew my turbo. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hahahahaha. My turbo works. Lololol.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BeefyEvo
Right now i have 29k on the car its an 03 ..... i run 20psi according to the Defi gauge. Never change it. car has all stock piping just the FMIC. And the car seems to run fine just a horrible sound. and no white smoke that i seen will it blow white smoke at idle ?
If you do infact find out that the turbo is bad. Just remove all your aftermarket parts and bring it to the dealer it should be under warranty.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

it's the turbo, it's toast. Pull the inlet pipe that feeds the turbo and look to see if you can see any damaged vanes, or rub marks on the housing. Not all turbos blow white smoke when they fail, just depends on if they're leaking oil into the exhaust.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

thers plenty of 05 10.5 hotside turbos on this forum for sale right now for cheap with people upgrading to a 20g, and if it sounds like a dentist drill, that means ur turbo is going real soon and like people said ur exhaust will pour out white smoke once it finally goes
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

It is the two bolt fixing from the turbo nozzle to the lower ic pipe
Do you have hard pipes?....If so I bet there is insufficient flex in the lower IC pipe causing the mentioned joint to fail....it will scream like a little girl
My 2c
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatsMR2u
thers plenty of 05 10.5 hotside turbos on this forum for sale right now for cheap with people upgrading to a 20g, and if it sounds like a dentist drill, that means ur turbo is going real soon and like people said ur exhaust will pour out white smoke once it finally goes
It does sound just like a dentist drill ... ironicly i have a dentist appointment today =/
I have noticed Oil in my intake... some told me that was somewhat normal. that been happening since before i got mods tho. just seems to havea little more in it now even some oil spray in the intake box.

Last edited by BeefyEvo; Jan 24, 2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

That Sux ***.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:54 AM
j8
Evolving Member

Does the noise sound like a car that has a bad fan belt? Everytime they gas it, it makes that horrible high pitched sound.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by j8
Does the noise sound like a car that has a bad fan belt? Everytime they gas it, it makes that horrible high pitched sound.
Yeah pretty much....
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:35 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Yes, it sounds to me like your turbo has let go. I had one go out on me exactly the same way. Not all blown turbos blow smoke. Take the advice of pulling off the intake pipe and see if you can spin the turbine/shaft with your fingers. Mine was a bit tricky because it was intermittent. Sometimes I could build 20psi, and other times, 0psi. I too heard the screeching sound that does sound like a loose drivebelt. This is actually the sound of your turbine fins hitting the compressor housing wall.

It is normal to find a little oil in the intake pipe near the turbo. The stock setup pipes PCV gas (and sometimes a little oil) back into the intake for recirculation. This is an emissions requirement.

You said that NA Evos aren't very fast...while true, yours is especially slow because you now have a huge blockage in your exhaust. Whatever you do, don't drive it anywhere but to the shop to be fixed -- it could make things worse.

It would be smart to return the car to a stock-like condition and attempt a warranty repair if you don't want to take the opportunity to upgrade. If you get denied warranty coverage, you could replace the stock turbo relatively cheaply (I have one for sale for $300 for example..there are others in the same range).

Best of luck, and sorry to hear of your recent experience.

Last edited by Pd1; Jan 24, 2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pd1
Yes, it sounds to me like your turbo has let go. I had one go out on me exactly the same way. Not all blown turbos blow smoke. Take the advice of pulling off the intake pipe and see if you can spin the turbine/shaft with your fingers. Mine was a bit tricky because it was intermittent. Sometimes I could build 20psi, and other times, 0psi. I too heard the screeching sound that does sound like a loose drivebelt. This is actually the sound of your turbine fins hitting the compressor housing wall.

It is normal to find a little oil in the intake pipe near the turbo. The stock setup pipes PCV gas (and sometimes a little oil) back into the intake for recirculation. This is an emissions requirement.

You said that NA Evos aren't very fast...while true, yours is especially slow because you now have a huge blockage in your exhaust. Whatever you do, don't drive it anywhere but to the shop to be fixed -- it could make things worse.

It would be smart to return the car to a stock-like condition and attempt a warranty repair if you don't want to take the opportunity to upgrade. If you get denied warranty coverage, you could replace the stock turbo relatively cheaply (I have one for sale for $300 for example..there are others in the same range).

Best of luck, and sorry to hear of your recent experience.
Thanks for the help ill be PMing you about that turbo soon when mitsu stands behind thier cars like they always do. =/
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:04 PM

If you need any help replacing the turbo or if you want an in person opinion of the problem, I live in Montgomery (near Kenwood mall) and can check it out for you. I'm relatively knowledgeable and know other evo owners that can help.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,052 Likes on 764 Posts
Do a boost leak test before you think its your turbo. A boost leak can make that same sound.

Check the compressor outlet pipe where it meets the hose, Also check the compressor outlet pipe gasket, bov, etc.

A boost leak test should reveal any leaks.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:23 PM
j8
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BeefyEvo
Yeah pretty much....
Do you get any positive boost when you slowly accelerate? When you are coming to a stop do you hear any decelleration noise?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

check your catalytic converter

Quick Reply: I think i Blew my turbo. Please help