Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I think i Blew my turbo. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would make sure you don't have a leak for sure before you let the dealer replace a good turbo, especially if they charge you, in that case you will be better off with an upgrade.

Go under the car (not on jacks!) and remove the panels to inspect the plumbing coming out of the turbo, do a psi check. Remember the dealer would love to sell you a stock turbo to replace yours with.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_SpeedKing
i'd be checking for boost leaks first...to me that sounds like the problem.

I agree, sounds like some piping blew off somewhere....
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Well i took the car apart put everything back to stock for my upcoming visit to the stealership. i played with the turbine like some suggested. and its loose enough to make the blades touch the sidewall of the turbo. there are also marks on the sidwall from what looks to be the blades grinding on it. =/ Car now has a defi boost gauge and an AMS front mount. i might have some explaining to do . wish me luck. i allready miss my car heh havent driven it in 2 days. anyone got a spare i could barrow ?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 07:24 PM

which dealer are you taking it to? I would suggest going to the Kings automall one. I have been up there a few times and they seem to be pretty good. If your turbo is blown and they wont replace it under warranty (most likely what is going to happen) I would buy at 20G one from Buschur. You can get it relatively inexpensive and its an awesome upgrade.

OH, if you have a boost controller on there, DEFINETLY take it off if you have the stock lines. This may save you from paying for the new turbo.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BeefyEvo:

We all wish you a sincere best of luck with a deserving turbo replaced. See if they will upgrade to a IX turbo and you pay difference
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:29 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rugarip
If your turbo is blown...
Since the blades are rubbing against the housing (as someone, ahem, suggested earlier), I think it's now safe to assume that the turbo is blown.

Let us know how this goes. It really does just depend on the dealer, how they're feeling that day, what mods they find/consider too much. The best thing you can do is be honest about what happened, and do so in a humble and professional manner. The key is to be reasonable with your argument, and have the confidence that they should also act reasonably in this circumstance.

Good luck!
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

The guy's got an aftermarket intercooler with piping that directly connects to the turbo. I wish him th ebest of luck but the only reason in the WORLD they would replace it under warranty would be for customer loyalty. They would be thinking that if they replace it, he would be more likely to go back there for and Evo X or something along those lines.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Im hoping that they replace the turbo of course odds really are stacked against me but hey its worth a shot. if they give me the bird then id like to get a 20g but i called BR and talk to a nice gentelman on the phone about upgrading and he told me i definatly need some supporting mods that i dont have and i would need about 5k to get all set....i got no where near that.