Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I think i Blew my turbo. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think i Blew my turbo. Please help

Ok here in the past week i have noticed a slight whining noise coming from the engine bay i kinda blew it off to the hot and cold weather here in Ohio. Well im driving home tonight i down shift to take a turn and my baby let out a horrible screeeching sound sounds like normal boost just on crack and not healty. i took it home and looked everything over in the dark i did not see anything out of the ordinary so i hoped back in the car and drove around the block.. noise kept happening at almost 0 psi of boost ... or like 1 -2 psi. then i press all the way down and i make 0 boost and just here a funny sound. Just so ya know N/A evos are not fast....... Any suggestions.... ? Replacement ? Warranty ? Ughhh i cant afford this. Turbo Donation anyone ?

New mods not updated .... AMS FMIC, Hallman MBC at 20psi
Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Any white smoke coming out from the back?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

yeah if you see white smoke then the turbo is most likely toast.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BeefyEvo
Ok here in the past week i have noticed a slight whining noise coming from the engine bay i kinda blew it off to the hot and cold weather here in Ohio. Well im driving home tonight i down shift to take a turn and my baby let out a horrible screeeching sound sounds like normal boost just on crack and not healty. i took it home and looked everything over in the dark i did not see anything out of the ordinary so i hoped back in the car and drove around the block.. noise kept happening at almost 0 psi of boost ... or like 1 -2 psi. then i press all the way down and i make 0 boost and just here a funny sound. Just so ya know N/A evos are not fast....... Any suggestions.... ? Replacement ? Warranty ? Ughhh i cant afford this. Turbo Donation anyone ?

Well if it is indeed the turbo, then there are some cheap replacement turbos, well relatively cheap. Anyhow this sucks, I wonder why it blew, if that turns out to be the problem.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by VIIImylunch
yeah if you see white smoke then the turbo is most likely toast.
Time for an Evo 9 20G ...
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Blown turbos blow smoke.

Another way of checking is to take your intake off and grab the center section and move it in and out. There should only be a ch of movement. If you get anymore, your center section is toast.

No warranty claim there. You gambled, you lost, time to pay up.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BeefyEvo

How many miles do you have on your car? How much boost do you run on your daily setup and track setup. Have you replaced your lower I.C pipe? Does the car make power or does it fall on its face? I would perform a boost check and see if you have any boost leaks. My guess if you have a lower ic kit you might have blown the turbo to lower ic gasket it will make some nice high piched sounds.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

i'd be checking for boost leaks first...to me that sounds like the problem.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RiversideMitsu
How many miles do you have on your car? How much boost do you run on your daily setup and track setup. Have you replaced your lower I.C pipe? Does the car make power or does it fall on its face? I would perform a boost check and see if you have any boost leaks. My guess if you have a lower ic kit you might have blown the turbo to lower ic gasket it will make some nice high piched sounds.
Right now i have 29k on the car its an 03 ..... i run 20psi according to the Defi gauge. Never change it. car has all stock piping just the FMIC. And the car seems to run fine just a horrible sound. and no white smoke that i seen will it blow white smoke at idle ?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

In your first post you said it makes 0 boost when you step on it, so how can you say that car runs fine?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dan628
In your first post you said it makes 0 boost when you step on it, so how can you say that car runs fine?
Well runs fine N/a lol.... engine does not make any funny noises.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 09:52 AM

When you put in your K&N drop in did you replace the clips properly on the intake snorkel? If you didn't....when boost builds it will suck the snorkel onto the hood and restrict the intake and squeel reel loud and lose power as air fights to get in. it only does this right when boost builds at full throttle. At partial throttle it doesn't do it. It would happen on an abrupt downshift as well. Maaannny posts on this. Just trying to give you a cheap fix.

Last edited by Transient; Jan 24, 2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Take the intake hose to the turbo off and spin the turbine shaft with your fingers.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Might wanna check to make sure an intercooler hose didnt pop off if you didnt yet.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Perform a boost pressure test and confirm you are free of boost leaks. Regardless if you have a aftermarket lower ic the gasket might have taken a dump on you. Also since you will have to remove the intake snorkle to pressure test it would be a good time to check the play on the turbo compressor shaft.

Quick Reply: I think i Blew my turbo. Please help