Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blown Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Clutch?

I have a new problem guys. When I try to accelerate, the clute is fully released and I still dont move until i push to about 6000 rpm in first. Then it is very slow and unresponsive. I also have this problem in all gears, where it only responds to high rpm at a slow rate. A friend of mine who has a standard, says yes its my clutch. There is a smell, like burnign rubber (almost, hard to describe). I am pretty sure it is my clutch. I just want to confirm with the experts on here. I was looking at the different clutches...what should I go with....ACT, Exedy Hyper Single, or Exedy Twin-plate Cluth/flywheel? What are all the replacemt parts I need? Friction disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, alignment tool, and flywheel? Do I need all or just part of these parts? Money is a small issue right now as well. This is my daily car so fixing it as fast as possible is also a requirement. Thanks for your help.

-Curtis
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like clutch to me if you smell it. all you need is the clutch, TOB, pressure plate, and resurface the stock flywheel if money's an issue. i'd go with the ACT if money's tight as well since the exedy's are over a $1000 usually.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Definitely a fried clutch. Personally, I'd just go with an ACT and resurfaced flywheel like was stated above.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by super05awd
Definitely a fried clutch. Personally, I'd just go with an ACT and resurfaced flywheel like was stated above.
+1
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Here is a poll about clutches to look at:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=126768
With the clutch blown, if you have been reving the motor until the clutch is slightly engaging and you smell clutch, the flywheel is going to be toast. I don't know if it is going to be salvagable by resurfacing.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:37 PM

look at www.lancershop.com I have done many business with them. Prices are good, must importantly they are always on time. I just puschased a Clutch master Stg1 kit and a Pro Lite flywheel from them. It should be here tomorrow and in my car running firday night. I will let you know how it turns out. I haven't heard any bad clutch out there except for the stock one. I went with clutch master because they have been around for a long time for many different cars and never have any bad products. Good luck
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
ACT all the way if you are tight on money. Good clutch, inexpensive. Or go with another stocker, i believe you can buy them on prostreetonline.com for even less. Be careful about heating up that flywheel from revving it up. If you cause heat cracks, you'll have to buy a new flywheel and not be able to resurface your current one.