Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Short Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Shifter Question

I was debating between the B&M or the Perin anyone have eaither of these and can you tell me how you like them. Thanks for any input!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If someone has one of them, I doubt they bought the other one also. I have the B&M, have had it since new. I love it. you buy it, you will also love it. Don't know much about the Perrin, but I have their endlinks.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Perrin

I have the Perrin and I love it. Fully adjustable and angled at the top. One thing to consider is you have to cut a 1 1/2 inch x 2 inch hole in your shifter base to make full use of the short shifter. And, because the plastic shifter mount does not come off the stock shifter, you have to buy a new one of those. Might as well get stiffer base bushings also. List goes on and on and on. Peace.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Smokedmustang - did you have to modifiy anuthing to put in the B&M ?

GoneIn420 - So you have to cut a hole in the shifter base and buy a new shifter mount from mitsu ? anything else? Cost on those items?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Kartboy and really like it. you dont have to modify anything, you do have to buy a new shifter mount. or you can cut the factory shifter in half and slide the mount off and reuse it on the new. if i remember right the upper shifter mount is only $20 and you can get it through kartboy.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 08:19 PM
KTT
Evolving Member

B&M has been great, I had a UUC in my M3 and I like this one better... my $.02
Old Jan 30, 2006, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the Authority short shifter. It is less than $100 and comes with a big heavy chrome knob and brass bushings also. It was pretty stiff in the beginning, but after a month or so it got better. Can't beat the price too!

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...3&cat=0&page=1

EVOlutionary

p.s. no modification needed

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Jan 31, 2006 at 06:26 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by M3this

GoneIn420 - So you have to cut a hole in the shifter base and buy a new shifter mount from mitsu ? anything else? Cost on those items?
I had AMS install mine, I recently took off my Center console, and did see a "snip" here and there, and a "hole" here and there, so I think they had to modify here and there, but you cant see it with the console on. Good luck, you will love it!!! Either one you pick. Everyone likes the one they have it appears!!!! I guess close your eyes and choose one.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

I was going to get the B&M but then saw the Perrin and liked how its adjustable, and tilted ... but it sounds like a lot of work.

Dose the B&M lower the height of the shifter? I had a 350Z before the EVO and the the shifter on the EVO feels like I'm driving a truck stick compared to the Z
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I have the works short throw with -30%, it comes with the shifter mount so there is no cutting or anything involved with the install. I did get shifter base bushings too to get a better shift feel but the overall feel is a lot smother and direct than the stock unit. I like it a lot and it isn't too bad in price, check it out.

It does slightly lower the height, check the website for the exact dimensions

Last edited by ddubb; Feb 1, 2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

I was going to get the B&M but then saw the Perrin and liked how its adjustable, and tilted ... but it sounds like a lot of work.

Dose the B&M lower the height of the shifter? I had a 350Z before the EVO and the the shifter on the EVO feels like I'm driving a truck stick compared to the Z
I believe it is shorter. it was one of my first mods, so I cant remember. Speaking of "long stick", who is that in your passenger seat?
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I believe it is shorter. it was one of my first mods, so I cant remember. Speaking of "long stick", who is that in your passenger seat?
Its some **** star from the UK Thats also a car model. I forget her name but if you google it you get some nice pics .....
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Its some **** star from the UK Thats also a car model. I forget her name but if you google it you get some nice pics .....
I will go see if she is in my "collection" of un-stuck pages!!!
Old Jan 31, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

B&M also requires that you cut some of the lower shifter base away (for a 45% reduction) and buy a new plastic shifter cap (unless you don't mind cutting up your stock shifter and using that one).
WORKS has one that a 30% reduction and comes with the plastic piece. If I were to do it again, I'd buy the WORKS.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eddie
B&M also requires that you cut some of the lower shifter base away (for a 45% reduction) and buy a new plastic shifter cap (unless you don't mind cutting up your stock shifter and using that one).
WORKS has one that a 30% reduction and comes with the plastic piece. If I were to do it again, I'd buy the WORKS.
exactly..smart man, the works is a quality piece and there is no modification or extra parts that needs to be purchased, even comes with the two little plastic caps. I am really happy with mine. I would encourage you to check it out

Quick Reply: Short Shifter Question