Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

WHICH TURBO IS BETTER? TME or EVO9 TURBO?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WHICH TURBO IS BETTER? TME or EVO9 TURBO?

As some of you know, i'm planning on trading in my Evo 8 for an IX MR.

So im trying to put my evo back to stock, and selling whatever I wont be using on the IX.

However, im not sure which turbo is better, the Evo 6.5 TME turbo w/10.5 hotside, or the stock evo 9 turbo.

Basically, im trying to decide whether I should keep the TME or not.

I did some searches and am still doing more searching, but i gotta read through threads that have over like a thousand posts lol.. so j/wondering if anyone knows, or what you guys's opinions are.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sure seems like the IX turbo makes more power. I think it would be a mistake to replace the turbo on a brand new IX with a simple TME 6.5...
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Do you kno which turbo spools up better/faster?
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would imagine the tme spools quicker but i am pretty much talking out of my *** because i have no expierence with either

But it does seem that the IX turbo is making more power and holding higher boost
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The tme 6.5 is a good turbo upgrade for 03 and 04's a while ago, but now esp with a IX, as you know, a 20g9 sounds to be a better investment - thats what I would do.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Am blowing hot air as well, but would agree that the TME being lighter weight cartridge than the USDM IX´s turbo would spool faster. The advantage of the IX turbo seems to be in its larger, improved compressor housing which has a higher horsepower potential.

Why not have the best of both worlds and send your TME into Buschur and have it converted into a 20G IX TME. Then sell the IX turbo and get an HKS 272 exhaust cam, a flash, Walbro, and some 680 injectors .
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What up Najeeb... the EVO9 turbo is the way to go, i.e. if you are getting a 9. With Mivec, spools is almost instanteneous on the EVO9. The 9 has more low and mid-range power thanks to quicker spool and the turbo, coolant passages and revised pistons allow more power up top ... TME would actually be a downgrade, IMHO ... Let me know if you have a hard time finding stock parts ...
Later
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Am blowing hot air as well, but would agree that the TME being lighter weight cartridge than the USDM IX´s turbo would spool faster. The advantage of the IX turbo seems to be in its larger, improved compressor housing which has a higher horsepower potential.

Why not have the best of both worlds and send your TME into Buschur and have it converted into a 20G IX TME. Then sell the IX turbo and get an HKS 272 exhaust cam, a flash, Walbro, and some 680 injectors .

He makes a very very good point
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

I have the tme w/10.5 hotside on an 03. It spools like a ****. The stock 20G-9 will have a larger compressor wheel, and won't have the super light rotating mass of a tme, but..... it seems the Mivec makes up for the larger/heavier turbo and spool up is still very, very good. What would happen if you put the tme on a stock Evo IX with Mivec? No idea, no one has done it yet to my knowledge. Hell, you might even be able to make boost at idle! That's somewhat of a joke, but it illustrates the point that what the tme gives you as far as spool, the Mivec might give you just as much. But there is no doubt, the 20G-9 is going to make a lot more power from mid-range on to redline.

I have the tme, and I'm seriously considering replacing it with a 20g-9 from Buschur. Even without the benefit of Mivec on my 03! Go with the 20g-9.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

the spoolup on my TME is SOOOOO much better than when i had my stock turbo. I hope the IX turbo spools just as quick hehe..

About the 20G IX TME, are they still having surging problems with it? I haven't read up on buschur's thread in a while.. but I remember that being a problem on the 20G TME turbos.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO
the spoolup on my TME is SOOOOO much better than when i had my stock turbo. I hope the IX turbo spools just as quick hehe..

About the 20G IX TME, are they still having surging problems with it? I haven't read up on buschur's thread in a while.. but I remember that being a problem on the 20G TME turbos.
1) No, the IX turbo itself doesn't spool quickly, but the MIVEC helps to make it spool quicker than on VIIIs. A regular VIII turbo would also spool more quickly if put on a IX. It is likely your TME would spool even sooner than it is now if put on a IX. It will lack the power potential of the stock IX turbo, though.

2) Dave still doesn't recommend using the Ti/Al internals on the 20g because of the surging issues.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

thanks Warrtalon!
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor

TME vs 9 turbo

From the Mit web page for the 9.

Stock 9 turbo
TD05HR-16G6-10.5T Aluminum wheel
(Twin Scroll Turbine)

TME 6.5
TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T Titanium wheel 33% lighter.

It looks like the TME would be the best bet. I do not know if the anything else is changed. But it does not indicate it in the part number. The A in the part number is for the Titanium.

t.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tobz
From the Mit web page for the 9.

Stock 9 turbo
TD05HR-16G6-10.5T Aluminum wheel
(Twin Scroll Turbine)

TME 6.5
TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T Titanium wheel 33% lighter.

It looks like the TME would be the best bet. I do not know if the anything else is changed. But it does not indicate it in the part number. The A in the part number is for the Titanium.

t.
Whoa, tobz, that does not even begin to explain the differences in the IX turbo. If you went by that, you'd think the 05 turbo was the same as the IX, but it's not...the IX compressor cover is much larger. Do not go by that basic listing of info by Mitsu when determining which turbo is better. The TME just has lighter internals, which aids in spoolup, but not overal power.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:49 PM
Former Sponsor

I understand that. I thought the first part of the number was the compresser size. Any idea how much bigger it is? I thinking about the TME right now. Does the weight difference between the two make them similar?t

Quick Reply: WHICH TURBO IS BETTER? TME or EVO9 TURBO?